Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 02:31 PM

16 posts, read 36,373 times

Advertisements

I'm new to Maine and was told to expect long, cold winters from December through February/March.

So I have some snow-related questions that maybe someone can answer for me:

1. Do I really need snow tires? And what else (car wise) should I know/consider in preparation for the winter?

2. Do I really need snow shoes? I mean, I will most likely have to walk 150 feet max from the parking lot to my office, grocery store, restaurant, etc.

3. What winter-related activities are available in/around Bangor, Maine?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 03:06 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingTsai View Post
I'm new to Maine and was told to expect long, cold winters from December through February/March.

So I have some snow-related questions that maybe someone can answer for me:

1. Do I really need snow tires? And what else (car wise) should I know/consider in preparation for the winter?

2. Do I really need snow shoes? I mean, I will most likely have to walk 150 feet max from the parking lot to my office, grocery store, restaurant, etc.

3. What winter-related activities are available in/around Bangor, Maine?

Thanks in advance.
1. Snow tires are a good idea. Some people run all season radials but they are nowhere near as good in snow as dedicated snow tires. Studded snow tires are even better.
2. No you do not need snowshoes unless you plan to trek off the beaten path. They come in handy for hunting or hiking the backwoods in January February and March but you will not ever need them in town.
3. Snowmobile riding, ice fishing and skiing/ snow boarding come to mind quickly. Then there is ice skating, snowshoeing as previously mentioned, or just sitting around the wood stove.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:25 PM

423 posts, read 1,930,513 times
just get all-weather tires, that's what I use and it works fine. It's easier because you dont have to change them

Old 08-10-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
just get all-weather tires, that's what I use and it works fine. It's easier because you dont have to change them
Or you can leave your snow tires on all year too (as long as they're not studded). It's a personal choice thing try both and see which you prefer.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:12 PM

16 posts, read 33,987 times
Get the snow tires, driving can be a challenge. You need all the help you can get if you don't know how to drive in snow, sliding into a ditch happens a lot.

Get good boots... arctic type. Many people use muck boots. And a good parka, and emergency food and water for when the power goes out... sometimes for a couple days.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:48 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,373 times
I'm guessing you live around Bangor. I'm new to Maine, too, but I got here when there were still twenty foot piles of snow lining the streets. The municipalities do a great job of keeping the roads clear, but I have heard stories of things like black ice. So, if you've never driven in snow, you've got some learning to do. But it's mostly a matter of common sense and experience. And being VERY careful.
I can't suggest on the tires. I run all weather radials and do just fine, but I drive an SUV that's made for off road. My LSD traction system comes in very handy. Consider what you drive and where you'll be driving--in town most of the time or do you live out in the country? (Rhetorical question, there.)
As for activities, this an out of doors kind of place year round. People still walk and run when there's snow. There are snowmobile trails everywhere that also get used for snow shoe expeditions and cross country skiing. But most folks have advised me to stock up on books and craft supplies. And of course, there's always this forum.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:26 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
MingTsai - Welcome to the forum.

We live just a bit North of Bangor. My Dw and I both work in Bangor.

We do not have snow tires on our cars.

I recommend the first time that you find a frozen parking lot, go in it and spin some circles in it. Spin your wheels and lock your brakes, get used to the feel your car has when it is on ice.

I have snow shoes. I live in a forest. I use them when I am hiking through our maple trees collecting sap.

We moved to Maine in 2005. This past winter was the first that had enough snow on the ground to even use my snowshoes. When the snow is thin on the ground so many twigs and rocks are left showing that there is no clear advantage to using snow shoes. The same runs true with the sleds. Year after year with very little snow, folks with sleds were not able to take them out. Last winter finally we had some nice snow, and everyone was able to enjoy it.

Are you planning on hiking in the woods after it snows? If not then no, you do not need snow shoes.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:36 PM

346 posts, read 786,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MingTsai View Post

I tried to walk in waist deep snow last year and couldn't make it 30 feet.

What'll you do if you're heading home in a blizzard and get stuck 200 feet from your house?

Snow shoes are just like car insurance, it's better to have than have not.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:45 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
I tried to walk in waist deep snow last year and couldn't make it 30 feet.

What'll you do if you're heading home in a blizzard and get stuck 200 feet from your house?

Snow shoes are just like car insurance, it's better to have than have not.
The OP said: "I mean, I will most likely have to walk 150 feet max from the parking lot to my office, grocery store, restaurant, etc."

Sounds urban to me [sidewalks, parking lots, offices, stores and restaurants].

Bangor roads and sidewalks are plowed routinely. No need for snow shoes.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The OP said: "I mean, I will most likely have to walk 150 feet max from the parking lot to my office, grocery store, restaurant, etc."

Sounds urban to me [sidewalks, parking lots, offices, stores and restaurants].

Bangor roads and sidewalks are plowed routinely. No need for snow shoes.

Some people keep snowshoes in their trunk along with road flares, a blanket or two, some ice (water packets freeze and stay frozen in a trunk) a candy bar or two, a flashlight, pair of socks, hat, mittens etc. Should you become stuck on a country road in a bad storm you're probably much better off to stay with your car than to try and walk to help anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine