Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 04:22 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,952,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
My best memories will be made soon.. be up in just under 2 days!
Fixed that for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,897,663 times
I have found nothing that comes close to summer in Maine. There is no where else I would want to be. My daughter and four grandsons visited with me for three weeks in July. We always make a list of all the things we want to do during the visit and try to fit them all in. We took full advantage of all the days we had together (sunny and overcast or rainy)...Bar Harbor parade and fireworks on July 4--lifetime tradition, beach trips, taking the mail boat to Little Cranberry Island, picking strawberries in Bucksport, cook out at Thompson's Island, Fort Knox, day trips to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. (One sunny day ended with fog rolling in to the harbor--great pictures of the schooner and the fog.) Marlboro Beach, Lamoine Beach, Sand Beach, trip to Rangeley hoping to see a few moose...love the Blue Hill Fair....a visit to Nubble Light...outings with friends and relatives... Jordan's Snack Bar...Ellsworth Giant Sub...Charlie's Pizza...Dysart's.....Ben's Store...Mike's Store...Jasper's.... Dunkin Donuts' coffee...haddock... fish chowder...lobster.... steamed clams....fried clams.....fresh garden veggies...dried fish....blueberries...fair french fries (No, we didn't eat constantly.)

Old 09-28-2009, 10:57 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,454,240 times
The highlight of my '09 summer in Maine has to be visiting Mermie over on Isle au Haut. Hiking, driving through the park, walking the yard and seeing the view from the Inn at Isle au Haut where she spent this last month working, collecting rocks, making Cairns on the beach by her family's compound, and sitting on Linda's deck overlooking Pen-Bay, all the islands, and the Camden hills, while enjoying coffee in the morning.

Sleeping with the windows open and hearing the surf crashing on the rocks below and waking up to the most glorious early fall day weather with the most fantastic view of the lighthouse she enjoyed playing in as child.

The biggest highlight however, was cooking for Mermie, her cousin, and her friend on her sister Linda's beloved refurbished Glenwood stove. 'Scallop Love' never tasted so good.

Many laughs, so many scenic vistas, and wonderful, precious memories shared; learning the history of the island while coming to understand Mermie's family heritage while retracing it in the here and now stand out as the most remarkable event of my summer.

Thanks for sharing your private world with me R~. I will always treasure the memories.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:28 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,952,388 times
The best two weeks of this year!

Old 09-28-2009, 05:20 PM

56 posts, read 139,822 times
I came back to visit Maine for the first time after leaving in 1964. I returned to the area I had lived in as a small child which was Old Orchard Beach. I was fortunate enough to hit it during a heat wave for the entire time I was there. Temps were in the upper 80's to low 90's. I stayed about a block from the pier. It was an incredible site to see every night...and the pier fries were awesome! Old Orchard Beach was much like many So Cal beach cities I have been too that it felt like I was at home at the beach in Redondo Beach, CA where they also have a large pier.

I got to visit with family from both sides that I gad not see since I was a kid...who could as for a better tome than returning to your childhood home, seeing family and of course, awesome Maine.

While there, I visited the Portland Head Light, Freeport, Wells Beach, Kennebunk Port and took day trips to Portsmouth and Boston but the best times were just sitting on the beach. I never knew there was so much so close.

Of course as soon as I got home, I wished I was back in Maine. As I get closer to retirement, I will consider returning...I just need to find out if I can deal with the winters. I have lived most of my life in So Cal where for the past week, it has been 100+ degrees every day and I have been hanging around the pool the whole time.

I do plan to come back in the spring time to get a taste of the cooler weather and will also plan a visit in winter in the future.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:33 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,204,922 times
fishing with my kid's next week i will be hunting with them.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:51 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Correction the best two weeks of the last two years!

Old 09-29-2009, 07:44 AM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,152,178 times
The C/D gathering was the best of the summer.

I had to check, but my other great thing actually happened in Autumn - at the MOGFA I was approached about doing a bean flour demostration next year.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,677,393 times
My best memories of Maine in 2009 took place on Chappaquiddick Island off Martha's Vineyard. My wife and I spent a week there with my daughter and her boyfriend and had a fantastic time! It's nice to get away from Maine now and then too!

Old 09-29-2009, 11:31 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,454,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
My best memories of Maine in 2009 took place on Chappaquiddick Island off Martha's Vineyard. My wife and I spent a week there with my daughter and her boyfriend and had a fantastic time! It's nice to get away from Maine now and then too!
Hey! That's how I ended up coming to Maine 25 years ago... I wanted to get away from Cape Cod and the Islands!!! lol Maybe after I live here I'll go back there to vacation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine