Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:52 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,901,545 times

Advertisements

I don't see the grey much. We get alot of sun (even when it IS 20 below lol).
Not too wet either (unless you're counting snow.....)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 03:58 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I don't see the grey much. We get alot of sun (even when it IS 20 below lol).
Not too wet either (unless you're counting snow.....)

I do not get the 'grey' at all.

I have lived in two different places that are well known both for long periods of time without clear sunny days. Bremerton Washington and the Central Valley of California. Going 100 days straight in either location without a clear sunny day is very normal.

Here in Maine it is not like that at all.

Most days even in the winter are clear and sunny.

I do not understand the complaints of 'grey'.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:01 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times
I see plenty of gray creepin' in,... but,... enough about my hair! You all know I'm as happy as can be in my little corner. If I'm poor then there's no place else I'd rather BE poor.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:07 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,537,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
My personal opinion..... YES!

You get these perfect days every once in a while where it is just perfect outside.. but most of the time its gray, cold, wet, or buggy..

But in the end its personal taste...
You just need to move to northern Maine. They have great weather up there.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:37 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,390,120 times
['bout time I contributed something so here goes]

This is where I live. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .see name above ^
Only 2500 population.

It is about as central as you can get. There are dozens of businesses, a theater, and many medical services here including hospital, academy since 1823, library and courthouse. We're about 30 minutes from Bangor or Newport (I95).

It is a great place for some and a depressing place for a few. But most people live here like they would live anywhere. Just average, normal, hardworking, residents of a rural community with lots to offer those who look. And a boring, grey, cold, muggy, buggy, middle of nowhere to others.

One thing that attracts people to Maine is the coast. We might as well be in central NH or VT for all that matters. Most people that I know work and play in the area they live over 90-95% of the time so getting to the ocean for people here is special. But that is the same in Sacramento too.

I have relatives all over central Maine that have yearly camping trips up further north so they can get away from their overly populated towns. It's all relative I guess.

For me, the biggest challenge here is the weather. I see that outdoor functions require rain dates. Maine weather cannot be trusted. My two winters here couldn't have been more different. One very snowy. The other only 30% normal snowfall. Many had 's on their faces all winter while others who like to play in the snow wore 's on their faces (me).

Like what others have said, it's all in what you make of it. And if one just can't make Maine work for them or their families and the lifestyle is too hard to cut through, then other places may be the better option.

Personally, for me, I'm still in the middle somewhere. Maine hasn't totally wore on me yet. It hasn't wore me out yet either. I miss some things about the west. I am taking stock of where I am though and try to take advantage of the opportunities here. The friends I've made and met on CD have helped me more than you know. And reading and learning stuff about Maine on this forum has been a lifeline. I still consider myself an abbreviated Mainer. Not quite ready to call myself a developed Mainer yet.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:28 PM

169 posts, read 283,066 times
Sometimes it can be depressing, but it's okay most of the time.

The weather has been great this spring so far. Lots of sunny days.

It's not always like this in April.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Depressing is where I live. Wall-to-wall people. Almost always sunny--meaning hotter than hell in the summer. Frequent hot dust storms blowing in from the desert to the west. I could go on, but what the OP calls depressing, actually ends my depression. For instance, those 'grey' days are what really makes me feel good (mostly in the winter around here and not very often). Oppressive heat and intense sun of summer are highly overrated. That is my depressing time of year. Give me the grey any time! That winter that the OP complains about is really the only time I'm fairly comfortable, although we don't get nearly enough snow here. As for isolation? I only wish!

IMO opinion, you northern Maine folks are blessed and lucky to live in such a wonderful and beautiful place!

Last edited by ChrisC; 04-28-2010 at 08:47 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 08:54 PM

227 posts, read 415,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Maybe the topic is mislabeled, it says Central/Northern Maine. then you speak of no civilization and isolation. Maybe you mean Western Maine?
Are you saying folks from Western Maine aren't civilized?

Old 04-29-2010, 01:54 PM

701 posts, read 1,082,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Depressing is where I live. Wall-to-wall people. Almost always sunny--meaning hotter than hell in the summer. Frequent hot dust storms blowing in from the desert to the west. I could go on, but what the OP calls depressing, actually ends my depression. For instance, those 'grey' days are what really makes me feel good (mostly in the winter around here and not very often). Oppressive heat and intense sun of summer are highly overrated. That is my depressing time of year. Give me the grey any time! That winter that the OP complains about is really the only time I'm fairly comfortable, although we don't get nearly enough snow here. As for isolation? I only wish!

IMO opinion, you northern Maine folks are blessed and lucky to live in such a wonderful and beautiful place!

I'll second that!!! (and thank goodness we don't have dust storms!)

Old 04-29-2010, 02:45 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spose View Post
Are you saying folks from Western Maine aren't civilized?
That was not what I meant.

The OP seemed to imply that Central/Northern Maine had no civilization and was isolated.

I did not intend to insult you. I apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine