Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 08:27 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,795,746 times

Advertisements

We all really enjoyed the train trip - well worth it IMO (although I see the prices have gone up by a few dollars). The train pulled out a little later than scheduled (it was packed), so no time to go into Frostburg at the layover but we ate at the local place and checked out the museum (enjoyed that as well). Foliage was nice, there might be a little more color change in the next week but we didn't complain. I'll try to post a couple pics. if I can figure out how. All in all, we were all glad we did it. We had dinner at the El Canelo and really enjoyed that as well. (forgot to mention, the restaurant is in a new, larger location from the last time we were there) - I hope they make it, there wasn't a whole of of business.

Last edited by Flamingo13; 10-21-2012 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: forgot to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 09:21 PM

228 posts, read 601,344 times
So, any news on any further developments in the area? Specifically interested on any new recreation venues being considered...any professional sports teams considering bringing minor league teams here? We have snow and ice coming...any chance on any ice skating rinks being built in the area? Any Cross Fit gyms under construction?

Old 10-21-2012, 09:48 PM

7,022 posts, read 11,317,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
So, any news on any further developments in the area? Specifically interested on any new recreation venues being considered...any professional sports teams considering bringing minor league teams here? We have snow and ice coming...any chance on any ice skating rinks being built in the area? Any Cross Fit gyms under construction?
Dude, this is an economically depressed region shrinking in population. We don't have big list of construction projects lined up or under consideration. We are lucky to have one project a decade of the scope you are describing. We have plenty of gyms here already. Check some of some the local ones out before you go jonsing for a chain brand.

I hate to be negative, but you are out in the sticks now, be lucky we are getting a TJ Maxx and learn to love what the area has to offer, which is plenty of unstructured outside enjoyment in the mountains and forest, an arts and theatre scene in downtown Cumberland and at FSU, and the community block party style events like Friday after Five, Arts on the Canal, etc.

Last edited by westsideboy; 10-21-2012 at 10:06 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Dude, this is an economically depressed region shrinking in population. We don't have big list of construction projects lined up or under consideration. We are lucky to have one project a decade of the scope you are describing. We have plenty of gyms here already. Check some of some the local ones out before you go jonsing for a chain brand.

I hate to be negative, but you are out in the sticks now, be lucky we are getting a TJ Maxx and learn to love what the area has to offer, which is plenty of unstructured outside enjoyment in the mountains and forest, an arts and theatre scene in downtown Cumberland and at FSU, and the community block party style events like Friday after Five, Arts on the Canal, etc.
If you are a praying man, send out some for me. I have a few leads on some opportunities that will get me back to a part of the country a better fit for me...but, while I am here, I am doing my best to see the positive.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,378 times
Perfect time to run into these threads. We have been thinking of moving but can't find land in our "hometowns" to support our horses. We fell upon this area and will be visiting soon to see it up close and personal. Looking foward to the visit.
History: We are from PA (Valley Forge area) moved to Arkansas going on 7 years ago for the land and what we thought would be retirement. As it turns out we are not willing to spend our remaining time in AR. We are looking for minimum of 20 max of 30 acres to relocate back North. I hope you will all continue to post, it is most helpful. Unlike RunningNorm we are not in our 20's-30's and have already experienced lack of conveniences. It appears Cumberland would be an upgrade by comparison.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:40 PM

It is all relative. Cumberland doesn't have great shopping, but we have enough for people's daily needs. If chain stores are your thing, they are only an hour away. Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Washington are only 2.5 hours away (in non-rush hour traffic.) for bigger entertainment and a more diverse cultural scene.

Good luck finding land. The size of parcel you are looking for is very doable in Allegany County and in neighboring WV or PA. Let me know if you have any questions about specific communities.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:23 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,791,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by landluver View Post
Perfect time to run into these threads. We have been thinking of moving but can't find land in our "hometowns" to support our horses. We fell upon this area and will be visiting soon to see it up close and personal. Looking foward to the visit.
History: We are from PA (Valley Forge area) moved to Arkansas going on 7 years ago for the land and what we thought would be retirement. As it turns out we are not willing to spend our remaining time in AR. We are looking for minimum of 20 max of 30 acres to relocate back North. I hope you will all continue to post, it is most helpful. Unlike RunningNorm we are not in our 20's-30's and have already experienced lack of conveniences. It appears Cumberland would be an upgrade by comparison.
Depending on what you don't like in AR, you might find some of that in Allegany County as well. Some of my wife's cousins moved to AR and fit right in.

For example, if you're looking for a level of political liberalism that characterizes most people's view of MD, that doesn't prevail in Allegany or Garrett.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 AM

Heard a rumor of a crossfit gym in Cumberland already in existence...does anyone know anything about it?

Old 11-05-2012, 03:13 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,795,746 times
I just wanted to say I hope all in these areas are okay..

Old 11-05-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I just wanted to say I hope all in these areas are okay..
Thank you for the concern. Garrett County is still recovering. They got nailed by a blizzard that dropped about 30 inches of snow. Western Allegany County got some snow, some flooding, but not as bad as predicted. Cumberland got off pretty easy by comparison. I think the Derichio earlier this year cleared out alot of the dead wood.

We still have some people without power, especially in Garrett County, but the State and power companies are, by all accounts, doing a great job getting roads cleared of snow and fallen trees and restoring power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland