Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 05:55 AM

5 posts, read 13,614 times

Advertisements

Actually, somewhere that is around a 2-hour drive to Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Northern VA (Fairfax County). We visited Cumberland and Frostburg earlier in the week, granted just for the day, but we weren't crazy about it, although anywhere with a train station is my kind of town. I'm not adverse to West VA or PA at all. Definitely a farm/outdoors girl, love my cows and chickens, big gardens, but my husband and I are getting older, and need to be fairly close to a hospital (10 to 15 miles?). For some reason US 219 seems to be calling me. I was born in Somerset County, PA, but have lived in VA my entire life, so there's still a strong hold. Ideal home would be near mountain trails and water.

Any suggestions? Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 06:26 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babzee View Post
We visited Cumberland and Frostburg earlier in the week, granted just for the day, but we weren't crazy about it, although anywhere with a train station is my kind of town.
Just curious...what was it that you didn't like?

Old 07-30-2011, 07:49 AM

What didn't I like? Can't quite put my finger on it. My husband said it looked "touristy." We both were very disappointed in the old US 40 road - we drove that road from Cumberland to Grantsville. We stopped at Frostburg to eat, and just walking around there, nothing really struck us. As an aside a bit, we visited Scottsville, Virginia (near Charlottesville), a few months ago. I absolutely fell in love with the place. Thought it was such a charming place. The people were very friendly. I can't say that about the people we ran into in Cumberland and Frostburg. I feel as though when I see the place we should move to, I'll know right away. Maybe that's dreaming.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:39 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Love at first sight....yes you are dreaming. It sounds like you visited only the touristy parts of both towns, so I suppose it is a compliment if it filled the bill.

Cumberland is right at the confluence of the Allegheny Highlands Trail, the C&O Canal Trail and the Potomac River. There is a brand new hospital in town, Rocky Gap Lake is just a 10 minute drive and you don't need to go but a 1/2 mile outside the city limits to find mountains, forest, and some small farms. I would give the town a 2nd look. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:08 AM

Thanks, westsideboy, we'll definitely give it another look. I was just reading a previous thread on Cumberland ("Turnaround Town" - something like that). When it takes you nearly 5 hours to drive there, and you're trying to cram a lot in a few hours, and then have to drive back the same day, it's hardly worth it. We'll spend a couple of nights up there the next time we go - probably in the early fall. One question for you about the old US 40 (alt 40): As I mentioned, we drove it from Cumberland to Grantsville. It isn't very attractive. Does it get better further west or east?

One last question: Is there one particular bakery that stands out in the area? Is there a market for another full-service bakery? Thanks.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:56 PM

17 posts, read 38,674 times
Probably the best known bakery in Cumberland is Caporale's on Mechanic St. close to downtown. They have been there since around 1920 and offer italian bread, rolls, buns, the also sell their stuff in local grocery stores.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:43 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
To be honest I-68 itself is generally more scenic than the parallel sections of US 40 Alt or MD 144. The main feature US 40 catches that I-68 doesn't is The Narrows of Wills Creek, which could be unimpressive if one focuses on the near view of tired-looking businesses jammed in there with the road rather than the sweep of surrounding scenery. The area shows off much better on the rail trail and C&O towpath and on side and back roads.

What kind of "water" do you want to be next to: boating? fishing? beach? whitewater?

Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 PM

I have to agree with the previous posters that I-68 gives you a much better view of the gorgeous mountains and panoramas of the valley. Old Rt. 40 is the road that was left behind. Kie0h is right that many of the buildings along it are rundown or abandoned.

To get a good feel for the county I would get on I-68 as soon as is feasible. You will pass over the ridges and drop into the valleys (don't speed, the cops will be watching) you will see lots of wooded country and small settlements and farms where geography allows. As you go over the last ridge you will drop into Cumberland. I-68 from Cumberland to Frostburg will take you up the Allegany Front in a more dramatic fashion than Rt. 40 does.

Frostburg can be seen in an afternoon. It is a college town, with a strange split between cheap trashy college rentals and very high end areas up the hill that cost 100k or more than a similar spot in Cumberland would. The weather is colder, the town probably gets 3 to 4 times more snow than Cumberland.

I would drive back down Rt. 40 through Eckhart, Clarysville, LaVale (Cumberland's suburb) and finally into Cumberland. This entry way into Cumberland is pretty rundown, as I am sure you noticed your first time through. The better parts on the other side of Will's Creek.

I also agree with Kie0h that the best way to see Cumberland is to walk or bike the Highlands trail from the train station through the Narrows (be sure to look up to see the 600 foot tall cliffs.) I would also drive around West Side, up Washington St. Go where your mapquest or imagination takes you. I don't know what your budget is but a good house can be bought in Cumberland for 100k, 150k and above puts you in the nicest spots.

To contrast the two, think of Cumberland as more blue collar and post industrial, but the still the hub city for the region. Most of the town is a nice place to live, but some parts are rundown and poor . Frostburg is a smaller town dominated by the college. I wouldn't live among the college kids, but if you can afford the nice parts, you are living among more high end locals and the college intelligensia

Outside out side of these two towns the area is very rural and conservative. The western part of the county is old coal mining towns, the eastern part is ALOT of forest and small farms or rural clusters where geography allows it.

Let me know if you want more information.

Last edited by westsideboy; 07-30-2011 at 10:06 PM..

Old 07-30-2011, 09:52 PM

As for the bakery. Caporale's is the standard for Italian white breads and pepperoni rolls. M&M Bakery downtown sells sweets like donuts and cakes. I would imagine there is a market for another, since I won't lie and admit that Allegany Countians like to eat.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:35 AM

Thanks so much, cmdguy, kiOeh, and westsideboy, for recommendations and information. kiOeh, your very accurate description of "tired-looking businesses jammed in there" is what struck me. I said to my husband, "This isn't what I was expecting at all," and he heartily agreed. Thanks to all of you for the detailed suggestions.

You asked what kind of water I want to be near - For fishing mostly, or boating. Just being near water and/or mountains revives me.

We actually walked up to Washington Street from the train station, and then down near Mechanic Street. Don't know how I missed Caporale's Bakery.

I picked up a "Home Finder," and noticed the big difference in home prices between Frostburg and Maryland. Wouldn't mind the snow if I didn't have to go anywhere! Seems like all college towns have larger than life prices on their homes. Charlottesville, VA, is a prime example. But then, they have that huge medical center too.

Now I'm anxious to go back to Cumberland after reading all of your posts. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland