Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What have you done to avoid O'Malley's taxes?
Nothing 24 66.67%
I cross state lines regularly for purchases 5 13.89%
I stock up on goods/items when I travel out of state for other reasons 4 11.11%
I do more online shopping now 6 16.67%
I purchase fewer things in general now 3 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 AM

544 posts, read 1,047,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex2121 View Post
In regards to O'Malley, did people just wake up and realize that MD is very liberal?
I think it's more that the legislature was pretty moderate and up until these last 2 sessions kept some of O'Malley's wack-a-doodle ideas in check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reiflame View Post
The 2011 data has Anne Arundel at 6.5% and Montgomery at 6.7%, so I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.
You didn't reference the 2011 data. You referenced the 2010 data which has AA Co at 5.3 and MoGo at 6.0. Don't start a conversation and then fuss at someone because they used your own data. If you wanted to use the 2011 data you should have referenced it.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:20 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Lex.........the gerrymandering passed cause people were not educated about what it did. Maryland is probably the most blatantly gerrymandered state in the nation. I cannot believe Hagerstown, Cumberland, and Garrett County are now represented by John Delaney, a man straight out of Potomac's entrenched liberal Democrat elite. Socially and economically he is out of touch with Western Maryland. For one thing he supports illegal immigration and abortion. Do people REALLY expected a Starbucks drinking, North Face wearing, Prius driving, Whole Foods shopping Potomac elite liberal like Delaney can represent a coal miner or farmer from Western MD?

For example he will NOT represent the interests of Western Marylanders. In Congress I doubt he will support coal mining or natural gas fracking because that would offend the liberal sensibilities of his base in Potomac and Bethesda even though people in rural Maryland support these things and need the jobs associated with them.

West Virginia currently has higher gas prices than eastern Baltimore County. But that will change after O'Malley's gas tax increase is implemented. And Maryland is one of the few states where the urban areas are not expected to pay for their own transportation especially their own transit. People in Hagerstown are seeing their gas tax go up just because Baltimore City wants the Red Line and Montgomery County wants the Purple Line. With Virginia's transportation bill, Northern Virginia counties saw a higher tax increase which is fair since they have more transit needs. Atlanta and Dallas also fund mass transit through local taxes.
Starbucks is a little spendy but it's a provides delicious coffee-based drinks.

The North Face makes very nice and comfortable jackets.

The Toyota Prius is a very modern and cost-efficient vehicle.

Whole Foods provides very natural, organic food for healthier living.

What does any of this have to do with Mr. Delaney's political views? Unless,......

OMG?!

Tom, you hate the free market!!

Why do you hate capitalism, Tom??

Old 04-22-2013, 02:22 PM

544 posts, read 1,047,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
You didn't reference the 2011 data. You referenced the 2010 data which has AA Co at 5.3 and MoGo at 6.0. Don't start a conversation and then fuss at someone because they used your own data. If you wanted to use the 2011 data you should have referenced it.
The first of the 2 links I posted is 2011 data. Did you go to school in Baltimore? Maybe you need some remedial reading comprehension classes.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:32 AM

10,210 posts, read 15,912,728 times
OH yes and now the Baltimore Sun today had an article about how Congress is moving toward allowing states to charge an Internet sales tax. This is something backed heavily by blue state Democrats like Maryland's congressional delegation who are tax-obsessed Democrats just like Owe'Malley. They are pushign this legislation because people from high tax states are going more online shopping now due to ridiculous sales taxes in places like Maryland.

The second part of the gas tax hike is linked to whether congress passes the Internet sales tax. Basically if the Internet sales tax passes we can avoid the second round of gas taxes. Never mind that even the first round of gas taxes shouldn't have happened but Baltimore City needed the Red Line to export more of its crime to the country and we all have to pay the gas tax toward this end. I am VERY against the Internet sales tax too. If they care about Maryland businesses, they will lower the ridiclously high sales tax. Only like 7 or 8 states have a higher statewide sales tax than Maryland does.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:44 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,232,899 times
Quote:
OH yes and now the Baltimore Sun today had an article about how Congress is moving toward allowing states to charge an Internet sales tax. This is something backed heavily by blue state Democrats like Maryland's congressional delegation who are tax-obsessed Democrats just like Owe'Malley. They are pushign this legislation because people from high tax states are going more online shopping now due to ridiculous sales taxes in places like Maryland.
I think online sales tax is ridiculous, but it is bound to happen sooner or later. I do not do much Internet shopping myself as I generally find that even if a product is cheaper online, it still comes out to the same costs or higher once shipping and handling is applied.

Quote:
The second part of the gas tax hike is linked to whether congress passes the Internet sales tax. Basically if the Internet sales tax passes we can avoid the second round of gas taxes. Never mind that even the first round of gas taxes shouldn't have happened but Baltimore City needed the Red Line to export more of its crime to the country and we all have to pay the gas tax toward this end. I am VERY against the Internet sales tax too. If they care about Maryland businesses, they will lower the ridiclously high sales tax. Only like 7 or 8 states have a higher statewide sales tax than Maryland does.
Honestly, if this is the case, I am all for the online sales tax.

There are currently 11 States with a higher sales tax, and 11 other States with the same rate.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:54 AM

18 posts, read 21,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I think online sales tax is ridiculous, but it is bound to happen sooner or later. I do not do much Internet shopping myself as I generally find that even if a product is cheaper online, it still comes out to the same costs or higher once shipping and handling is applied.

Honestly, if this is the case, I am all for the online sales tax.

There are currently 11 States with a higher sales tax, and 11 other States with the same rate.
Tom is living in fairy land if he thinks MD will do anything to help businesses. O'Malley wants to push sales tax to 7% in the near future and still has the idea to raise the car registration renewal to $192 and $28 for emissions. Plus MD looses big with the gun makers moving out of state (I'm surprised they were here to begin with) and will loose more headquartered companies like Northrup Grumman and even the FBI HQ to neighboring VA.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:44 PM

Of coruse the FBI is going to Virginia, which cares about the rule of LAW rather than taking guns away from law abiding Americans, rewarding ILLEGAL immigration and banning the death penalty. Maryland, especially Baltimore City, is notorious for liberal judges who let criminals off easy, who then go and commit more crimes on the streets which si the true reason for the criime problem in Baltimore, along with city residents use of drugs which attracts drug dealers to their neighborhoods.

So is the Beretta USA move final????? Its not been in the news anymore lately. Which state have they decided to move to? I hope they do leave Maryland and send O'Malley a message.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:53 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,953 times
Quote:
Of coruse the FBI is going to Virginia, which cares about the rule of LAW rather than taking guns away from law abiding Americans, rewarding ILLEGAL immigration and banning the death penalty. Maryland, especially Baltimore City, is notorious for liberal judges who let criminals off easy, who then go and commit more crimes on the streets which si the true reason for the criime problem in Baltimore, along with city residents use of drugs which attracts drug dealers to their neighborhoods.

So is the Beretta USA move final????? Its not been in the news anymore lately. Which state have they decided to move to? I hope they do leave Maryland and send O'Malley a message.
Yeah, Tom because everyone knows that only city dwellers use drugs, not anyone living in the suburbs or the outlying rural areas.

"I hope they do leave Maryland and send O'Malley a message".

Wow, you would rather see the state of Maryland not get the FBI headquarters and it's accompanying jobs (Federal, contractor and supplier), just to hurt Governor O'Malley politically. Boy, you're quite the team player, Tom. Please leave the state of Maryland, ASAP and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Last edited by phlinak; 04-25-2013 at 04:02 PM..

Old 04-26-2013, 12:15 AM

City residents use drugs at a FAR higher rate. Why do you think all the drug dealers congregate on the streets of Baltimore City's ghettoes? Because that is where their biggest market is. If there were not many drug users in those neighborhoods, the street corners would not be full of dealers.

Why are there not as many drug dealers in Carroll County as there are in Baltimore City?

I don't really care where the FBI goes.

I was more talking about Beretta because O'Malley woulnd't even let them sell their product here in Maryland. Gun owners nationwide care about how much gun manufacturers stand up for our rights and for American values. It will reflect poorly on Beretta if they decide to stay despite O'Malley's gun laws (which are pushed mainly by urban Democrats) even if they allow Beretta to produce assault weapons but not let them sell them here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland