Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 12:21 AM

7 posts, read 45,448 times

Advertisements

I'm attempting to move to a city between Alexandria, VA and Baltimore, but don't know the good and bad area of Maryland. I'm looking to stay anywhere that's equidistant. I've looked at Greenbelt and the likes, but I've heard bad things. So I don't know if anyone could shed some light and/or recommendations. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 AM

43 posts, read 172,647 times
Yes....a lot of territory. Mt Airy is very nice, but it is far north of DC and would make a commute to Alexandria a nightmare. Also look into a town that has a Metro station into Alexandria if it woul drop you off close to your workplace. That's the best way to go IMO, when travelling into DC.

The issue with PG county is over crowding. There are beautiful and affordable place in PG county, with a lot of great people, but the school districts are a mess...overcrowding is a REAL issue here. My wife is a teacher and, of course, she advocates parent involvement, but when there are 35 kids to a classroom, the students are getting too much general instruction and not enough one on one time.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:09 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,593 times
You can also find safe in PG county. Try Upper Marlboro,Bowie,Clinton

Old 04-15-2008, 08:56 AM

I use these three areas because they are closest to my home and are areas I am 100% familiar with. I do go to other areas in Pg county but these three are areas I go to every single day.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:27 PM

13 posts, read 54,520 times
Greenbelt has a lot of crime. I would stay out of PG COunty in general. Bowie and Upepr Marlboro are better than other areas of the county but i would not let my family live in either. It's really hard to give you a recommendation without a little more information. How much can you afford? Are schools important? Do you want a family area or nightlife? I've lived in many parts of Maryland and can give a pretty good description of each.

Howard county is very nice, but closer to Baltimore than Alexandria. Montgomery County might work for you - Kensington, Bethesda, and Potomac are all nice areas.

Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 PM

You will be fine living in GreenBelt. The people on this forum who say do not live in Pg county are those who have never lived anywhere in the county. Some people live their life by the media. Whatever the media say is what they believe.
You have opinions of people who have been living in the area for yrs now. If you notice the ones who say do not live in Pg county are those who have not given any example of their personal opinions that they have experience in GreenBelt.
People are judging an entire county as one.

Why is it when people mention Montogmery County, they always mention three areas Bethesda,Potomac or Chevy Chase?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:43 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
I used to live in College Park, right next to Geenbelt, and used to work in Lanham, right on the border of Greenbelt. I can tell you that it is not as nice a place as you want some to believe. I would, personally, never choose to live there. YMMV.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:44 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Would Laurel fit for you? If you have kids make sure you get the Howard County side of Laurel (better schools or more resale value.)

Old 04-17-2008, 05:27 PM

57 posts, read 297,489 times
Default not a given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Would Laurel fit for you? If you have kids make sure you get the Howard County side of Laurel (better schools or more resale value.)
In general, maybe. But this is not a given, by any stretch. Even in HoCo, schools vary by neighborhood. You can certainly find Laurel schools in HoCo that rate worse than some of their brethren in Prince Georges or Anne Arundel. "Making sure that you are on the Howard side" is certainly not as simplistic as you say.
-LE

PS - If one needs to divide their time between DC and alexandria, I'd bias my location towards Alexandria. The commute there will always get worse faster than a commute towards Baltimore would.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:12 AM

6 posts, read 24,632 times
Crofton is nice - it's about 5 miles north of Bowie proper - the 20715 zip code. That part of Bowie is still pretty nice. It's not what I grew up with 30 years ago, but it's still nice. The real bad thing about Bowie is that it's part of PG county which means higher taxes and higher insurance - both car and homeowners - due to the fact that some parts of the county aren't so nice and have high crime rates. When I moved from Bowie to Crofton (AACO), my car insurance dropped by half.

As in most areas, you can find nice little neighborhoods that are sort of insulated from outside influence - get out and talk to folks in the neighborhood on a Saturday or Sunday. Ask about property turnover, percentage of owner occupied vs rentals - this is usually a good indicator. Personally, when I was looking, I tended to stay away from areas that were really close in proximity to apartment complexes and industrial areas or malls. Some like being close to these things, but I really don't.

Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland