Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 PM

16 posts, read 22,088 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My dog, Sadie has suddenly disappeared on April 28th. Please keep in mind this is a dog that never leaves our yard without us. She is three to four years old and has white on her chest, on her lower jaw and around her paws. She is black medium lab / husky. She is licensed and has a black collar. ( unless it was taken off her ) She is very friendly but also deathly afraid of people and loud noises. She has some medical issues such as balding on her right side of her stomach , ear infection and among other medical issues. Sadie lives in Bourne (02562) Massachusetts. We have reason to believe that she was possibly stolen. If you see or find her please contact Chris Finn @ #508-833-2928 ASAP We are offering a reward of $250 dollars for her safe return. Please if you see her or find her , please stay with her and contact us! She is dearly missed and needs her family. Thank you so much!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 PM

12,873 posts, read 22,050,536 times
I'm sorry about your dog.

I'm sure you've taken all sorts of steps already, but my family went through the same thing a couple of years back with their black lab (on the South Coast too).

Call ALL of the nearby animal shelters and animal hospitals. Call as far away as Hyannis, Plymouth and New Bedford. Look up every town's animal control office and give them a call. They may not have her, but give them your number and a description and they will keep an eye out for her and call you if she should turn up. She may not have her collar and tags by the time she ends up at a shelter or animal control, so you can't count on someone reaching out to you without making first contact.

Even if she was stolen, she may still turn up. In the case of my family's lab, she was taken from the park right near my parents' suburban home. She was missing for 4 days and everyone assumed she was dead (she was 10 and had some medical issues). After calling all animal shelters and animal control offices in the area on the first day, she got a call from Fall River's animal control officer saying that they had a dog that matched the description. She was wandering around by herself 10 miles from the house in the middle of downtown Fall River (she never left the yard in the past and could not possibly walk 10 miles). A good citizen found her (no tags and she didn't have a chip) and turned her in. If it weren't for the calls, my mother wouldn't have got her back.

I wish you the best and hope it all works out. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:03 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Ohmygosh, I'm so sorry that this happened!

I have a dog and I'd be beside myself if he got lost.

Have you posted on Craigslist? Post in all the sections there -- (1) Lost & Found, (2) Pets (under Community), and (3) Pet (under Services).

I hope like crazy that Sadie just got it into her head to go on a little adventure and that she then decided that it's less fun than she thought and came home to you.

Please report back once you've found her, which I hope with all my heart is SOON (or already).

Old 05-01-2012, 07:51 AM

925 posts, read 2,744,217 times
So sorry, I would post in all the papers, including the local Patch & hang posters at all the local animal shelters & vet offices. There's also a site called Petfinder or lostpets or something like that that will help you send out postcards across your neighborhood to get the word out. Best of luck!!!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,163,239 times
So very sorry. Are you on Facebook? Twitter? You can also try posting there. Just get the word out in as many places as possible. Is she micro chipped?

Old 05-01-2012, 12:09 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
So very sorry. Are you on Facebook? Twitter? You can also try posting there. Just get the word out in as many places as possible. Is she micro chipped?
Oooh! Good idea. I'm not the OP, but I'm going to post this on my Facebook, in case it'll help.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:10 PM

16 posts, read 22,088 times
No, i wish we thought of mircochipping her but i would have never though we would loose her like this. She really is very nervous about other people and never strays far from her family. We are working on getting an ad in the local papers and have posted fliers every where and anywhere. I just hope we find her..we got a phone call yesterday about her being seen in buzzards bays but that is a long way from her home and i have absolutely have no idea how she would ever get that far from home by her self! Thank so much DandJ. Every little bit helps one way or another and it is truly appreciated. You are an angel!

Old 05-01-2012, 02:01 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,953,232 times
I'm so sorry that your dog is missing. Excellent suggestions so far. Here in New Hampshire, we have Granite State Dog Recovery, which has helped so many dogs find their way back to their owners. I'll check to see if there is a Mass version. (Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More)

Old 05-01-2012, 02:19 PM

925 posts, read 2,744,217 times
My mom also told me there's a lost pet app on the iphone. Also you might contact the girl who runs the findmarisol.com website. She sadly lost her dog last year & has not found her but has helped quite a few people since then reconnect with their dogs.

You might ask the Buzzards Bay people to send a picture of the dog they found anyway, just in case. When our cat went missing years ago I heard all these stories of pets ending up in far flung places. She could have gotten spooked and ran into someone's truck. Stranger things have happened.

Also, I'd keep calling and visiting local shelters. Many places have part-time volunteers and they are simply overwhelmed with work and may not remember you or have the best recordkeeping when they find a lost animal.

Also, if she spooks easily she could be hiding somewhere nearby. I've heard of pets hiding in construction sites or in little areas because they got scared by a noise or by another animal. Our neighbor's cat somehow got into their house when they were away on vacation and was in their house for two weeks til they got home from vacation and realized she got stuck in the house when no one was home.

We also found a lost dog three weeks after she disappeared in the middle of winter and reunited her with her family. They were sure she had been stolen and that she would never have survived that long on her own so when we got their number from the local animal rescue after she showed up in our yard she was skeptical but it turned out to be her! Skinny but safe.

Here's an article with tips on finding a lost pet:
PetRescue.com - How To Find A Lost Cat Or Dog

One other thought: If you believe she was stolen I wonder if the folks at the Animal Rescue League can help? They have a law enforcement group I believe. There's an ARL in Boston and one in Dedham. I worked with them before & they're really good people.

Here's hoping she's home safe soon!!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:02 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
Can only add my good wishes to the many good suggestions here. She looks like a real sweetie, I so hope she is OK and home soon.
One thought, someone could pick her up as a good Samaritan and take her to wherever they live and then turn her into a shelter or vet or something. Maybe that's how one person's dog got ten miles away.
A local rescue husky escaped her yard last fall and there are still fliers, a Facebook page, and bookmarks at the local library! She has been seen many times down near the library/town hall, so she must be eating somewhere. A shy dog, too. These huskies...
Please post if and when the gal comes home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts