Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2007, 05:36 AM

60 posts, read 343,987 times

Advertisements

Struggling with the tax scenarios. I posted this as a reply to someone in the Boston forum as well...

We are relocating up to the Southern NH / Northern MA area, from NJ. At first glance, NH looks better - no sales tax or state income tax. But property taxes - most homes we are looking at are between 5-8K per year. And while this is alot less than NJ's property taxes, when looking at northern MA / suburbs of Boston, we are seeing same size homes for 3-4K per year, literally half the taxes of MA. So what the house costs more? If you have a decent salary, you can pay the mortgage down and be done with it. But property taxes? You are stuck with them - FOREVER. And they keep going up .

So we are confused. I am a tax accountant in a busy season now. And as soon as that's done I'm going to sit down and try to do a detailed comparison of the 2 states, side by side, taking all taxes into consideration. If anyone has any input for me, let me know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 08:07 AM

19 posts, read 74,605 times
The overall tax burden is LESS in NH-regardless of your income.

(look it up for youself_) NH has one of the lowest overall burdens in the USA.

MASS is pure blue, with a tax-lover like Gov Patrick in office..Dont think twice-move to NH. ..Better quality of life too.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:15 AM

746 posts, read 3,499,968 times
Overall tax burden in NH is less, but so are state services. Being that you are a tax accountant, I think you would be happier in NH as well, you would never be on the ropes and in need of public assistance of any type, right?

I don't buy into the taxachusetts nonsense, as a senior, I appreciate that my quality of life is immensely better in Massachusetts than it would be in NH.

I like Deval Patrick, too. Some call him a tax lover, I call him a decent human being.

Last edited by litlux; 09-18-2007 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterWonder View Post
Struggling with the tax scenarios. I posted this as a reply to someone in the Boston forum as well...

We are relocating up to the Southern NH / Northern MA area, from NJ. At first glance, NH looks better - no sales tax or state income tax. But property taxes - most homes we are looking at are between 5-8K per year. And while this is alot less than NJ's property taxes, when looking at northern MA / suburbs of Boston, we are seeing same size homes for 3-4K per year, literally half the taxes of MA. So what the house costs more? If you have a decent salary, you can pay the mortgage down and be done with it. But property taxes? You are stuck with them - FOREVER. And they keep going up .

So we are confused. I am a tax accountant in a busy season now. And as soon as that's done I'm going to sit down and try to do a detailed comparison of the 2 states, side by side, taking all taxes into consideration. If anyone has any input for me, let me know. Thanks!
You didn't mention in your post which state you would be working in. If you'll be employed in Mass., you have to figure in the income tax of 5.3%. Of course you can avoid most of the sales tax by shopping in NH.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:23 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Litlux makes a good point--NH isn't the place to be if one requires public assistance... NH just doesn't have the services that MA offers, which is NOT necessarily a bad thing. It's just another aspect of what makes one state different from another, and isn't it nice that we have CHOICES on where to live (instead of people trying to make each state a carbon copy of the other...)

Old 09-18-2007, 08:25 AM

10,023 posts, read 15,671,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Overall tax burden in NH is less, but so are state services. Being that you are a tax accountant, I think you would be happier in NH as well, you would never be on the ropes and in need of public assistance of any type, right?

I don't buy into the taxachusetts nonsense, as a senior, I appreciate that my quality of life is immensely better in Massachusetts than it would be in NH.

I like Duval Patrick, too. Some call him a tax lover, I call him a decent human being.
You may like him, but I guess he wouldn't like you considering you called him DUVAL. It's Deval, btw.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:32 AM

746 posts, read 3,499,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You didn't mention in your post which state you would be working in. If you'll be employed in Mass., you have to figure in the income tax of 5.3%. Of course you can avoid most of the sales tax by shopping in NH.
It should be mentioned that the sales tax does not apply to food or basic clothing. And my property taxes amount to less than $500 a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts