Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
There's a good post going on in the Ct. forum. Cambium always has really good info and very accurate updates. He's been spot on the last few years with all the crazy weather around,was right on with Hurricane Sandy's landing. Check out the last few pages ( 17&18 ),he has snow totals for all of NE. Looks like we're going to get hammered at this point, 14-18" in WMa. and more as you head east.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...wstorm-20.html
When I lived in CT (2005-2011), Cambium was my go-to weatherman. The radio, Internet, and TV always gave conflicting information, but Cam was always spot on, like you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:46 PM

66 posts, read 90,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Who would pay for it? That is a LOT of neighborhoods you're talking about upgrading. How often do you loose power? 2 or 3 times a year at most? And it's usually not longer than a day or so. So the cost vs. advantage isn't really worth it.

I do agree that it'd be great if all the cables were buried, but it's just not an easy task.
I don't know, my RE taxes, sales taxes, income taxes, electric bill? How much of that is going towards renewable energy and other green stuff?
Wellesley supposedly did a project, burying some or most of their power lines. It looks like the price for burying it underground is $2M per mile. Entire state of MA has 29,000 miles of distribution lines. Totaling $99B to burry the lines if I read this article correctly.

MA has 6.5M residents, that's $15k per head. It does sound like a lot, but good portion of that would come from utility co.

Does anyone here think it's a good idea? Can we say "investment"? This is something you can actually feel every other winter, not a slogan

Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
The Weather Channel looks so silly when they name winter storms......LOL!

I'm glad we are no longer up there just for this reason. I will watch it on TV, in sunny and warm Florida.

I feel bad for my parents. They are in central MA and this is never good for them....being 80.

I wish everyone the best.
They've been naming them in CT for years. TWC is a bunch of drama queens. The weather folks like Cambium and folks like those at NECN...low drama, good data. TWC is awful.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I follow Cambium on the CT channel too. TWC is in it for the drama.

The worst thing is losing power and I do wish we had the power lines buried. You get it in some neighborhoods, the only thing is that it's connected to areas where the lines are NOT underground and if they go down, so does yours.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:10 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You get it in some neighborhoods, the only thing is that it's connected to areas where the lines are NOT underground and if they go down, so does yours.
Yep, our lines are buried, we still lose power.

Old 02-08-2013, 04:40 AM

31 posts, read 46,972 times
just want to say be safe everyone.Being buried underground can be tricky if something goes wrong they have to dig them up which can be costly.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:52 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Trying to figure out what is going to be my best course of action. I had planned on staying at my boyfriend's house (2 miles away in Malden - I live in Medford) but that means I need to park in the street. I should be fine provided I get over there around 3 or 4. The only problem is that he lives in a neighborhood with the funkiest winter parking - it can be really hard to know which streets you can and cannot park on and there's no real rhyme or reason to it. I have off-street parking at home, but an electric stove and the power goes out often anyway.

This is my first real storm with a car so I have no idea what to expect or what to do. My last real winter storm was when I was in college and other people did the shoveling for me!
Leave your car at your place and take a taxi to your boyfriend's house.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:53 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
I'm seeing a few flakes now!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:19 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Thanks for the compliments all. Just want to make sure people are safe but enjoy New England winters in the meanwhile. Good luck to you and be safe. I'll be posting updates here mostly involving what the storm is doing.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/conne...owstorm-6.html

Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 AM

124 posts, read 233,144 times
I seriously hate snow and I question why I even stay in the New England area. It's the damn groundhog's fault that we are getting snow. lol

Oh and if you have to take the MBTA, take it before 3:30p. They are shutting down at 3:30p.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts