Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 09:12 AM

204 posts, read 286,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3cents View Post
I almost bought a small but great ranch in Natick, but ultimately had to reconsider because when my wife and I tried out my commute from North Cambridge, we decided that it's too much to bear. That experience helped us to refocus our priorities.
This is a key step! Doing a sample commute at the time of day you will actually be driving can be really helpful. It tells you not just the total time it will take, but reveals any frustrating problem spots, places you'll likely be stopping for errands on the way, and the general character of the areas between your future home and your work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 09:44 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,815,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masshawk View Post
This is a key step! Doing a sample commute at the time of day you will actually be driving can be really helpful. It tells you not just the total time it will take, but reveals any frustrating problem spots, places you'll likely be stopping for errands on the way, and the general character of the areas between your future home and your work.
If possible, do this during the school year. I made the mistake of doing this during the summer and thought school traffic might add just a few minutes to my estimate. Boy was I wrong. My 1 hour commute in the summer has been 1.5 hours during the school year. I don't know how much longer I can stand this 3 hour round trip commute...

Old 09-16-2013, 10:44 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
If possible, do this during the school year. I made the mistake of doing this during the summer and thought school traffic might add just a few minutes to my estimate. Boy was I wrong. My 1 hour commute in the summer has been 1.5 hours during the school year. I don't know how much longer I can stand this 3 hour round trip commute...
Agree with the others, especially if you are planning to live anywhere near a school. It is not only the school buses stopping at every house in some towns, but the kiddie drop-offs with the long lines of parents trying to get in and out of the school parking lot. If I lived on the side of town where all the schools are located this would be an additional 30 minutes of travel time.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Agree with the others, especially if you are planning to live anywhere near a school. It is not only the school buses stopping at every house in some towns, but the kiddie drop-offs with the long lines of parents trying to get in and out of the school parking lot. If I lived on the side of town where all the schools are located this would be an additional 30 minutes of travel time.
Yes! The kiddie drop-off lines are longer than the entrance to the school so the cars overflow to the main road. In most towns the roads are only 1 lane going each way, so you are basically stuck in the same traffic as the parents dropping off their kids. Since school times are staggered, you might even hit 2 of these school traffic jams on your way to work.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:49 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:
Yes! The kiddie drop-off lines are longer than the entrance to the school so the cars overflow to the main road. In most towns the roads are only 1 lane going each way, so you are basically stuck in the same traffic as the parents dropping off their kids. Since school times are staggered, you might even hit 2 of these school traffic jams on your way to work.
If I recall correctly you live in Sudbury. Another "hazard" of living in these towns with larger lots like Sudbury, Wayland, Weston, etc. is that there are fewer main roads in town and therefore fewer viable alternative routes for you to take especially during rush hour. A lot of streets in these towns dead end or go in varying different directions so often there is rarely a decent alternative to the street you normally take.

Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If I recall correctly you live in Sudbury. Another "hazard" of living in these towns with larger lots like Sudbury, Wayland, Weston, etc. is that there are fewer main roads in town and therefore fewer viable alternative routes for you to take especially during rush hour. A lot of streets in these towns dead end or go in varying different directions so often there is rarely a decent alternative to the street you normally take.
Yup, that's one thing I miss about Natick - all the shortcuts I can take to get anywhere! I had all the residential streets in town memorized as a map in my head. I've started doing this for Sudbury, but as you said, there are so many cul de sacs which are useless for cut-through traffic.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:46 PM

226 posts, read 386,648 times
^^ your hazard is my ability to let my kids play in the front yard!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptkitten View Post
^^ your hazard is my ability to let my kids play in the front yard!
Sorry If it makes you feel any better, I don't drive fast in neighborhoods. And I drive on the street, not people's front lawn Seriously though, if it's not me then it's going to be someone else. That's why I (used to) keep my kids in the back yard too.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:50 AM

226 posts, read 386,648 times
Quote:
Sorry If it makes you feel any better, I don't drive fast in neighborhoods. And I drive on the street, not people's front lawn Seriously though, if it's not me then it's going to be someone else. That's why I (used to) keep my kids in the back yard too.
yeah ... and you aren't even safe in a cul de sac neighborhood. you definitely get visitors who don't realize the entire street is full of families with young kids... they see a traffic free street and take the opportunity to lay on the gas.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:46 PM

304 posts, read 774,622 times
I think I would look at Burlington. The housing range is in your price, the commute is equidistant, and the schools are up and coming. All of that commercial money from the Burlington Mall helps the town tremendously!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts