Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 10:10 AM

8 posts, read 13,282 times

Advertisements

Hello! After reading many posts on "Moving to MA", "Please tell me the best School system", "Family neighborhood, good schools, easy commute etc..... Yes! We all want that! and notice I didn't add affordable, it would be asking too much! Sorry my sarcasm!
OK. We decided to give a try to Lexington because all the good things we heard (mostly about the schools). Luckily I am renting and can make a change of town if needed. Although, I would feel bad for the kids for moving them around.
Here are my first impressions of Lexington and some town that I "researched and considered". You might be able to hear my frustration on the post, I do not mean to offend anyone or any class (culturally or religion) let me know if I am wrong... reason why I am here:

Lexington: Heavy Asian Community (Indian, Chinese, Japanese), that's is great! Very smart folks and very involved at the school system, BUT they keep within their ethnic groups and it is very difficult to make friends in town... as white is a minority... you get the good school, but no friends.

Weston/Wellesley: Heavy Jewish, also keep their groups within themselves.... so even though they are not as diverse than Lexington, they group within their religion. Awesome schools.

Hingham/Cohasset: No diversity, easy commute to Boston by ferry. Snob town with OK school system. They are very concern with sports and the girls to be cheerleaders.

I don't know North Shore. Just afraid of long Boston Commute.

About us: Younger couple (late 20s) with kids, white, looking for good school system, big cooks and foodie, not religious, just want to feel included in the community, regarding race and religion beliefs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 10:21 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
I'm not sure where you're coming from with this keep within their religion stuff.

Maybe times have changed, but I grew up in Belmont, my best friend growing up was Indian and Hindu (now a dr btw). First kiss/crush Chinese, first real girlfriend, Jewish (prom date and still friends)... lots of Mormons, Armenians, etc.

We all hung out, were in band together, basketball/soccer, class, etc.

No problem making friends, we never really gave it any thought. The only insular group really seemed to be the METCO students.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'm not sure where you're coming from with this keep within their religion stuff.

Maybe times have changed, but I grew up in Belmont, my best friend growing up was Indian and Hindu (now a dr btw). First kiss/crush Chinese, first real girlfriend, Jewish (prom date and still friends)... lots of Mormons, Armenians, etc.

We all hung out, were in band together, basketball/soccer, class, etc.

No problem making friends, we never really gave it any thought. The only insular group really seemed to be the METCO students.
Thank you for your reply Timberline. I did not put any thought on it at all at first. We get along to any race and religion, as we don't think neither tell the type of people we are. We are finding difficult to make friends because they don't even approach us, they make a "bee line" to their ethnic group at school bus drop off etc... perhaps just give more time? We always thought diversity was a plus... it is encouraging to hear you had a great experience...

Old 09-21-2016, 10:32 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,030,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOLSEEKERMA View Post
Weston/Wellesley: Heavy Jewish, also keep their groups within themselves.... so even though they are not as diverse than Lexington, they group within their religion. Awesome schools.
5 to 6% of the population is heavy?

Old 09-21-2016, 10:33 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,705,166 times
Did your research include visiting the neighborhoods and talking to residents? That would have given you an idea of how a given neighborhood regards newcomers. It's far from a complete picture but a lot better than all-electronic research.

Possibly you are expecting more of a Welcome Wagon embrace than exists in the Boston area, period. Did you move from another part of the country?

I had just finished HS at the time my brother entered the Newton school system. He fit in just fine, and his group had Jewish and Asian people as well as white non-Jewish.

It must be hard for a white person to be a minority, LOL.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:35 AM

I see where you come from Mike. Most people don't disclosed their religion or political party. My concern it is about been able to make friends, and not really their religion per say.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:37 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHOOLSEEKERMA View Post
I see where you come from Mike. Most people don't disclosed their religion or political party. My concern it is about been able to make friends, and not really their religion per say.
Why do you think they wouldn't be able to make friends? This is what I'm not getting.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Did your research include visiting the neighborhoods and talking to residents? That would have given you an idea of how a given neighborhood regards newcomers. It's far from a complete picture but a lot better than all-electronic research.

Possibly you are expecting more of a Welcome Wagon embrace than exists in the Boston area, period. Did you move from another part of the country?

I had just finished HS at the time my brother entered the Newton school system. He fit in just fine, and his group had Jewish and Asian people as well as white non-Jewish.

It must be hard for a white person to be a minority, LOL.
Thank you Pikabike. Yes, we moved from out of State. Where people would come to welcome you knowing you are new in town I suppose I am in trouble!

Old 09-21-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Why do you think they wouldn't be able to make friends? This is what I'm not getting.
A friend of mine who knew a friend in Wellesley area put me in contact with her to help me with area, schools, and to have an "instant friend" (my research was mostly internet based, including this Forum). Her friend and I have children the same age and I thought it would be great. I asked for a school recommendation for my 4 year old son and she recommended me a preschool. Than I asked if it was the same preschool that her child was in (so my son would have a "friend") and she said no... her children and her friends children go to a jewish school in town... hum... I get it... it is her religion... but I felt a fish out of the water...

Old 09-21-2016, 10:50 AM

550 posts, read 681,081 times
I used to nanny for an Indian family a couple years ago. I did find that they like to socialize withing their own culture. When she had social gatherings at her home it was only her indian friends that attended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts