Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 06:46 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Neither of these are the point. The point is that Medfield is not as liberal or as politically aware and involved as many other areas. For many folks, that would be an attractive characteristic. If it's not, then it's something to be aware of.
I think the point is that that you interjected something about Medfield being too conservative in a way that assumes that Newton is the baseline for what constitutes moderate. That may be an appropriate response for OP (or it may not be), but it feels WAY out of left field.

I think it's safe to say Medfield is conservative for Massachusetts. Conservative for Massachusetts, especially in places like Medfield, tends to keep to itself. You will generally only notice people are not aggressively liberal, and may, if you get to know them well, hear some conservative opinions.

The immigration stuff is off topic and lacks way too much context to be anything but a distraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 07:51 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,728,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I think the point is that that you interjected something about Medfield being too conservative in a way that assumes that Newton is the baseline for what constitutes moderate. That may be an appropriate response for OP (or it may not be), but it feels WAY out of left field.

I think it's safe to say Medfield is conservative for Massachusetts. Conservative for Massachusetts, especially in places like Medfield, tends to keep to itself. You will generally only notice people are not aggressively liberal, and may, if you get to know them well, hear some conservative opinions.

The immigration stuff is off topic and lacks way too much context to be anything but a distraction.
I did not imply such, although some people may have inferred it. It struck me that Larchmont had just recently been described to me as the "Newton of New York" by my neighbor who grew up in Larchmont and now lives in Newton. So if this is true, comparing Medfield to Newton, Medfield is more conservative.

I would say Newton is more liberal than most towns. I don't think it would make sense to describe it as a baseline for what constitutes moderate.

Newton is more urban, has more amenities, more town centers, and more walkability than Medfield. OP said he lives in Larchmont. And again, if my neighbor's statement is true, then it would make sense to compare Newton to Larchmont and then compare that to the prospective new town, Medfield.

I can't say for certain if Larchmont is like Newton, because I have not been to or lived in Larchmont. But I would give credence to the opinion of someone who has lived in both towns.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:08 PM

6 posts, read 8,836 times
Thank you all for your opinions & insight. Having driven around different towns and viewed some homes for sale...I would say that Larchmont is a smaller version of Needham. With Larchmonts next door neighboring town of Rye, to be a smaller version of Wellesley. Needham is great, but we were looking to get away from the Larchmont vibe and looking for something a little more low key. Medfield seems to fit the bill. The only real downside being easy access to Boston (where my husband will be working). Politics of the town are irrelevant to me, though I appreciate the insight!

Old 07-23-2017, 08:35 AM

317 posts, read 332,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali518 View Post
Thank you all for your opinions & insight. Having driven around different towns and viewed some homes for sale...I would say that Larchmont is a smaller version of Needham. With Larchmonts next door neighboring town of Rye, to be a smaller version of Wellesley. Needham is great, but we were looking to get away from the Larchmont vibe and looking for something a little more low key. Medfield seems to fit the bill. The only real downside being easy access to Boston (where my husband will be working). Politics of the town are irrelevant to me, though I appreciate the insight!
I'm from Westchester, and yes Medfield is definitely more low-key than Larchmont, but it's a very nice town. I would recommend the commuter rail in either Norfolk or Walpole. My husband used to use that line and it worked out well. Much better than driving (I guess depending on where in Boston he will work).

Old 07-23-2017, 11:47 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,325,212 times
I'm putting Medfield on my list of possible places to move to one day.

not everyone wants to live in a liberal place. They seem to be becoming few and far between in MA.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 07-23-2017 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: added

Old 07-23-2017, 01:21 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
As I already stated, Medfield is not conservative even by MA standards anymore. If anything, I would describe it as moderate to center left.

I found chicagoliz's comments to be peculiar, particularly the "not politically aware and involved". What exactly is that supposed to mean?

The only reason my cousin stayed there all those years is because it was such a good group of kids their sons had as classmates. I certainly doubt there being a hateful or xenophobic undertone going on.

Politics should never have been brought up in this thread, it was totally unsolicited. You never see people warned of how liberal Newton is in the 3 or 4 hundred threads of people looking to move there, or when pushed to.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:55 PM

Just did 5 min of research and apparently Medfield leans slightly right in state-wide elections but went heavily for Clinton. Just over 60% as opposed to 32% for Trump. I think (since we have a very popular republican governor) many people in MA may be "Massachusetts republicans" but are actually democrats when it comes to national elections.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:09 PM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECPCVC View Post
Just did 5 min of research and apparently Medfield leans slightly right in state-wide elections but went heavily for Clinton. Just over 60% as opposed to 32% for Trump. I think (since we have a very popular republican governor) many people in MA may be "Massachusetts republicans" but are actually democrats when it comes to national elections.
While this past presidential election was an anomaly, Trump won by 32.8% statewide. So if you go by those results (which again have defied many other political trends), Medfield is average (or slightly left of) for MA.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
While this past presidential election was an anomaly, Trump won by 32.8% statewide. So if you go by those results (which again have defied many other political trends), Medfield is average (or slightly left of) for MA.
Not to be a stickler, but it really does lean right. All the towns around there do. I lived in a neighboring town and all our elections went republican.

Mass. Numbers: How Democratic or Republican is my town?

It's 270 out of 351 ranked from most democratic to least taking into account the last 6 state and national elections (but not Trump/Clinton).

Old 07-23-2017, 09:00 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,728,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts