Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 04:48 PM

32 posts, read 24,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
+1

OP, should narrow list to Arlington, Natick and Dedham. Canton is more for families and pretty disconnected from even the bordering towns due to having so many major roads running through. OP never answered my question regarding how attached to Brookline they are, so we still don't know how that factors into new location. and if they are that down on Roslindale, neither Waltham nor Salem is going to be right for them. I'm assuming OP wants something less urban and edgy, intellectual but not necessarily arty.
I've been told by real estate folks that I'm priced out of Arlington for the type of property I want. I agree on Natick and Dedham--will definitely look there. While I love Brookline, I'm not attached enough that I'm afraid to move away. I've made many moves in my life so I'm rather used to it, lol.

I've been told I should look seriously at both Beverly & Salem. And I may also look at some up and comers like Weymouth - which is probably not there yet in terms of culture but may be heading in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Yeah, Acton and Hopkinton would be too far out for you. Although, Acton does have a very active chorale group and little theater group with performances by adults and high school students. I don't do performing arts, but several of my friends from the area enjoyed participating.
Thanks, that's good to know. I suppose if I'm considering as far out as Beverly I shouldn't rule out Acton.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan0105 View Post
I think Arlington would be a great fit for you. None of the other suggestions in this thread (IMO) offer an intellectual vibe.
I think I would really like Arlington, but I don't think I can afford what I would want, there. I'd rather have a nicer place further out than a smaller or not so nice place in Arlington. Too bad, for sure.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:03 PM

23,539 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdmass View Post
And I may also look at some up and comers like Weymouth - which is probably not there yet in terms of culture but may be heading in that direction.
I'd pass on Weymouth for now.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:42 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Even for Greater Boston, it seems overpriced for what it is.

Last visit down there I stopped to get a haircut in the square, and couldn't help but think "what the heck happened to this place?". I'm not bitter at all, but I do confess that I don't like change. Seeing so much of it (especially when it's not necessarily for the better), just makes me want to be away from there.
Yeah. It kind of stinks, but the writing has been on the wall for a while. People like Timberline everywhere that aren't from here saying how the neighborhood "should" be.

OP. Have you ruled out the fairmont area of Hyde park? it's fairly nice for HP standards, and would sure be a lot better commute than Acton and some others listed.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:26 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
I never said how or what any neighborhood should be, thank you very much.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:39 AM

837 posts, read 1,225,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
OP. Have you ruled out the fairmont area of Hyde park? it's fairly nice for HP standards, and would sure be a lot better commute than Acton and some others listed.
Fairmount is mostly SF and the prices rival those in Milton, which borders it. Lot of lovely old Victorian "clunkers", as my mother used to call them, mixed with newer (but not brand new) construction.

Its only drawback is that it's not an easy commute to downtown Boston. IIRC it's bus to either the commuter rail (the Fairmount line runs a limited schedule unless you can either get a bus or drive to Readville on the other other side of town and take the commuter rail from there) or to Forest Hills, which is the closest T station. It's a mess getting around all that in the winter. A lot of people who live there work on the 128 belt which has its own commuting issues but fairly easier access.

ETA: Actually the closest T station is the Mattapan trolley terminus but there's no direct bus line or such from Fairmount to there. Limited parking there, too. You could walk it, though.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:48 AM

Understood. For Boston standards it sure is a nightmare to get to the city, But the Op is seeking places as far out as Natick. It surely can't be a better commute to downtown from Natick.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:56 AM

OP here. Yes, I'm willing to be somewhat further out, and, thankfully, I would have a "reverse" commute -- going into Boston or Cambridge for evening or weekend activities maybe once or twice a week. I work out of my home. I just don't want to rip my hair out every time I jump on the road and try to drive in. I suppose everyone's tolerance for traffic or distance is different. I"m trying to figure out mine. FWIW, I allow 45-60 minutes just to drive or T-it from Brookline to Harvard Sq, since it's city driving and no really easy route. I suppose living off of 95/128 and driving for 45 minutes is about the same thing, LOL.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:02 AM

Where do you most frequent "in town"?
A commute to Cambridge is vastly different than a commute to Back Bay.
From Forest Hills to back bay via T it usually takes me 25 min tops. To Harvard it would be more like 50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts