Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 01:23 PM

23,601 posts, read 18,740,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
As a resident of Roslindale, My opinion is that it is overpriced. It is trying hard to be something. but instead of cultural diversity i see more of stark contrast of ultra liberal and straight ghetto.
And those of us actually from that area, just roll our eyes at what people are willing to pay to live there these days. Those cashing out on their old houses are laughing all the way to the bank.

Quote:
I'm not sure there are many deals to be had left in W. Rox. It's getting scary expensive there.

For whatever reason...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 02:53 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And those of us actually from that area, just roll our eyes at what people are willing to pay to live there these days. Those cashing out on their old houses are laughing all the way to the bank.

The problem is, they can't live in the bank and they need to live somewhere. So, unless they're leaving the region, they're going to be putting it right back into another pricey place.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:38 PM

1,362 posts, read 875,318 times
It may have been mentioned but you should probably just stay where you're at. You're a single empty-nester who wants an active cultural life in the city and you currently own a condo in Bookline. Case solved.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:59 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
it may have been mentioned but you should probably just stay where you're at. You're a single empty-nester who wants an active cultural life in the city and you currently own a condo in bookline. Case solved.
+1.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:26 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,160,054 times
Quote:
It may have been mentioned but you should probably just stay where you're at. You're a single empty-nester who wants an active cultural life in the city and you currently own a condo in Bookline. Case solved.
This.

Pass the heirloom furniture down one more generation and buy some shelves.

:-)

Old 10-18-2017, 05:19 AM

837 posts, read 1,226,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frazil View Post
I don't think Hull is the right fit for the OP, but as a longtime Hull resident wanted to clear up this misinformation about the ferries and south shore access to Boston in general.

Both the Hull and Hingham MBTA ferries run year round M-F.

From Hull it is ~20-25 minute boat ride to Long Wharf downtown. If the schedule and the location work, it is really hard to beat as far as a commute (or for a day trip to Boston.)

The ferries also run in all weather. In fact during the big winter storms a couple of years ago (when the trains/roads were having so much trouble) they were one of the most reliable ways to get to/from Boston from the South Shore.

The ferries run weekends for about half the year (between ~ Memorial Day - Columbus Day I believe.)

The MBTA commuter rail (Greenbush line) is another good option from Hull/Hingham/Cohasset/Scituate to Boston (ends at South Station.)

And I know many folks that drive to Quincy or Braintree and pick up the Red Line T there, either because the route/frequency is more convenient, or the cost (the ferries and train are not cheap...)
I knew Hingham's ran year round. For some reason I was under the impression Hull's didn't. I believe a lot of people are under the same impression. Thank you for clearing that up.

There's also the 220 bus from Hingham Square to Quincy Center/Red Line. Don't know where one would park around the square, though...?

I'd imagine, though, that the commute from Hull to Hingham, et. al, would be arduous in the winter if the ferry isn't running. That's why we took Hull off our list back when we were looking at houses. Otherwise we loved it.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:17 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,127,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

For whatever reason...
I am actually from that area, And I'm not laughing at all. When I go to a bar and there are service dogs, and people making fun of the poor scrubs in work clothes with Boston accents. Maybe im just bitter.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Truth

Quote:
I am actually from that area, And I'm not laughing at all. When I go to a bar and there are service dogs, and people making fun of the poor scrubs in work clothes with Boston accents. Maybe im just bitter.

Yeah, if service dogs bug you, yeah.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:31 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,127,353 times
Yes, In a bar that serves food, it does. For some ridiculous reason. These aren't blind people. They are 20 something's who have had some perceived emotional trauma. It's just one example. don't make go through the checklist and have you defy each and every one. I get it. But yes mis-behaved dogs do bother me in a place that serves food. Is that okay? are my feelings okay?

Old 10-18-2017, 06:32 AM

32 posts, read 24,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
This.

Pass the heirloom furniture down one more generation and buy some shelves.

:-)
Haha. Well now. Actually the main reason is I need to not have a mortgage anymore. For financial reasons. Being able to own my own business and have flexibility, and still enjoy a nice place with reasonable access to Boston. I love Brookline but I'm OK with being further out. Really. Just looking for the right match of location, and what I can get for 400-500K. Would rather be in a small town with a nice place than a tiny place in a city. Thus I'm trying to find a town that would best meet my needs, walkability with a nice town center, etc. being important.

So on my list I have: Norwood, Canton, Dedham, Medfield, Wakefield ?? Melrose, Natick
These seem to have nice properties I can afford.

Acton, Hopkinton, seem too far out.

Thanks again, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts