Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 11:42 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,728,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you changed "work in Boston" to "live in Metro West", I'd agree with you. It's commutable for maybe 1/4 of the Boston MSA. That's still a substantial talent pool compared to most places in the country.
If you were moving from another part of the country to work in Worcester, then yes, I wouldn't suggest living in, say, Marblehead. But, if you were established in the Boston area and something happened to your job and you needed to find a new one, Worcester would at least be an option, even if the commute were less than desirable.

I've known of plenty of people who moved somewhere for the proximity to a job location. Then something happened with the job, and they had to find a new one in order to live. Sometimes, they have ended up taking jobs that were quite far away -- but they were able to do it and not move, which often becomes an issue if you have a spouse and children, and even for yourself if you have really established yourself in a community and moving would be the very last resort to avoid complete disaster. I've known quite a few people who live/d in Southern NJ or Pennsylvania and took jobs in New York City. Or lived outside of Washington, D.C. and worked in Delaware. Or worked in Wisconsin and lived in Chicago. The list could go on and on.

My point was more that if there are more potential jobs, even if not an ideal commuting distance, that is a benefit to the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 12:20 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,109,149 times
For what it's worth, Worcester seems to have a disproportionately high number of vegetarian / vegan restaurants for its size, not to mention that it hosts its own VegFest every May. A sure sign of a growing "enlightened" population, for sure...

Old 10-23-2018, 12:26 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,565,672 times
I guess people don't like public art in Worcester. A display on the common, the area which supposedly kicked off the city's renewal, was damaged this past week:

Police Seek Who Smashed Stained Glass On Worcester Common
https://patch.com/massachusetts/worc...rcester-common

Old 10-23-2018, 01:37 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,145,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I guess people don't like public art in Worcester. A display on the common, the area which supposedly kicked off the city's renewal, was damaged this past week:

Police Seek Who Smashed Stained Glass On Worcester Common
https://patch.com/massachusetts/worc...rcester-common
An unfortunate, but not Worcester specific issue. I went to MassArt (and Design) in Boston and art would be vandalized on campus frequently, despite security and an overwhelmingly pro-art audience. All it takes is one anarchist.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:50 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,957,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I was in Hoboken and Weehawken NJ this weekend visiting my wife’s friends. The cleanliness urbanity and diversity was SHOCKING. It is so many EONS ahead of Worcester (decent normal city) but Worcester honestly comes off as a trash heap compared to Hoboken. The architecture, density, and views of NYC Skyline along the waterfront park are impeccable. The late night eats, walkability, and public transit was beyond abundant. Never would I compare Worcester to Hoboken or Oakland. They left an apartment I. manhattan to live in Hoboken -by choice/not economic pressure.

The demand is such that rents in Hoboken for 4K a month, Newark-Hoboken-Jersey City would rival Boston if it were in MA. Oakland is far better than Worcester minus the crime.
Hoboken (53K) is tiny population-wise compared to Worcester (185K). Sure, Hoboken is great, however you pay for all that greatness (Worcester is 99.2% cheaper). Oakland is definitely larger, has greater diversity than Worcester, however Oak-town is 84.6% more expensive than Worcester.

I know you didn't come up with the comparisons, however my point here is that these towns that have "come up" are a lot more expensive.

I see a lot of potential in the Woo. It's a mini Boston with many colleges/universities, medical/bio-pharma presence, with a good amount of public-private investments. Cost of living is decent, real estate is relatively cheap, and access to Boston and other points in NE (Springfield, Hartford, Providence) is relatively easy.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:26 PM

12,470 posts, read 9,550,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Some headline writer came up with the “forget Hoboken and Oakland” line. It’s not part of the story and really just a throwaway line to attract readers/listeners. If you consider Worcester in the context of the larger New England cities it’s a hopeful story and seems accurate. Now there are at least two cities about 40 miles from Boston with a lot to offer, three including Lowell.

Hoboken (and JC) and Oakland CA are much more analogous to Somerville, Malden, Chelsea than to Worcester.

I’ve lived in Hoboken. It has its charms but the finance bro invasion there is tough to take.
A college buddy of mine who worked in advertising on Madison Ave at the time was living in Hoboken about 30 years ago, and it already seemed like it was experiencing gentrification then - I recall an upscale bar we were in and the view of Manhattan from his place - really pretty nice, so I think Hoboken has a big head start on this revitalization thing.

Old 10-23-2018, 05:00 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,789 times
Over a year ago when I was trying to escape my greedy, narcissistic landlady in Cambridge, someone on here told me to move to Worcester (amongst the various choices I was contemplating). I bought a house here, and so far, I love Worcester. Part of it is due to my being a home owner, which is amazing, but I also like the people here and I have almost everything I had in Cambridge. It's just so much more affordable, I should've done this 10 years ago.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:43 PM

2,948 posts, read 5,196,643 times
The Boston Globe had a cover story on Worcester maybe five years ago. Didn't read it but I recall a photo of a few college students on a hill overlooking the area. I think it may have touted its potential, with so many colleges concentrated there but how until then (or even now?) Worcester hadn't really taken advantage of promoting its college presence.

After all, nobody elsewhere in the country who's ever heard of Worcester equates Worcester with its many colleges, but maybe they should.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:06 AM

17,759 posts, read 9,208,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Hoboken to Manhattan is what? 30-45 min?
10 to 15 minutes.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:40 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
A college buddy of mine who worked in advertising on Madison Ave at the time was living in Hoboken about 30 years ago, and it already seemed like it was experiencing gentrification then - I recall an upscale bar we were in and the view of Manhattan from his place - really pretty nice, so I think Hoboken has a big head start on this revitalization thing.
Same here. Knew a guy from around that same time who worked on Wall St. and was living in Hoboken. Costs were dramatically less and the area was already gentrifying. I also recall another parent my kid played sports with about 10 years ago remarking how the "cold water flat" his grandparents had in Hoboken was now renting for some amount he couldn't fathom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts