Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 02:36 PM

8,505 posts, read 4,567,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendale View Post
Railers drew about 9000 for their home opener last Saturday. Hopefully they will draw better this year, but you are correct about the attendance levels.

Icecats were the first AHL team. They were affiliated with the St Louis Blues & were pretty popular. The Sharks never were as popular for some reason. Last year we were downtown on a night there was a hockey game, a show at the Hanover Theatre and I think maybe something at Mechanics Hall (Maybe the Palladium) and the downtown area was really busy

The Worcester Railers HC inaugural season drew 158,132 and averaged 4,393 for the 36 game regular season. This was just slightly below the ECHL team average of 4,424.

For reference:
The closest nearby ECHL team - Manchester Monarchs - drew 100,543 to 36 regular season games for an average of 2,793.

The closest AHL teams to Worcester
Providence Bruins drew 317,563 to 38 regular season games for an average of 8,357. The AHL average was 5,904
Springfield Thunderbirds drew 189,435 to 38 regular season games for an average of 4,985.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 02:46 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I'm a hockey fan but haven't been to a Worcester Railers game yet. Where exactly is the nickname derived?
Per this article, the name refers to Worcester's rich rail history in the 1800's:

Introducing the Worcester Railers professional hockey team - News - Worcester Magazine - Worcester, MA

Old 10-25-2018, 03:40 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,414,297 times
Btw, if you want to see the games for free, the Worcester Railers are hiring a Game Night Mascot performer.

https://www.indeed.com/viewjob?jk=3b...rom=serp&vjs=3

Old 10-25-2018, 04:33 PM

194 posts, read 408,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
What do you do for dinner if going to a show at the Hanover? I went as part of a group and we had to eat at the other end of Main Street at Armsby Abbey and then walk a good distance through a ghost town on a Saturday night to the theater. No decent option nearby.

Shrewsbury Street, Highland Street, and the Canal District are not especially walkable nor really part of the core downtown (roughly the area between the Hanover and the DCU Center).
110 Grill https://www.110grill.com/locations/worcester-ma/ just opened near the new Marriott. Easy 10 minute walk across the Common. Railers Tavern, Mezcal, Pizzaria Uno and Citizen are alll easy walks. Green St is also not a bad walk

Old 10-25-2018, 04:58 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,477,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendale View Post
110 Grill https://www.110grill.com/locations/worcester-ma/ just opened near the new Marriott. Easy 10 minute walk across the Common. Railers Tavern, Mezcal, Pizzaria Uno and Citizen are alll easy walks. Green St is also not a bad walk
Does not The Muse, across the street from The Hanover, serve food? Is Joesphine's, right at The Hanover, open yet? There is also The Beer Garden and Stix right around the corner on Franklin ST.
And of course they drove right by Deadhorse on their way to Armsby.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:06 PM

194 posts, read 408,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Does not The Muse, across the street from The Hanover, serve food? Is Joesphine's, right at The Hanover, open yet? There is also The Beer Garden and Stix right around the corner on Franklin ST.
And of course they drove right by Deadhorse on their way to Armsby.
I don't think the Muse does, but if I recall you could order from the Theatre Cafe across the Street. The other places are too new for me. My Son works downtown I will ask him about them.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:03 AM

73 posts, read 62,128 times
Worcester (DCU center) made a big mistake in my estimation by picking ECHL over Holy Cross. Sounds like they were trying to do both, but you really can only do 1. Now that there is an open spot in hockey east, Holy Cross should jump all over that (especially with new ESPN+ contract to televise games nationally). If you want to connect downtown with HC and colleges more, you need more college events downtown. Now you have two hockey teams competing with one another.

This was discussed 2 years ago...
https://www.telegram.com/sports/2016...ast-dcu-center

Old 10-26-2018, 10:09 AM

8,505 posts, read 4,567,713 times
Speaking of Worcester, it is a real shame what has happened to the Higgins armor collection. It is one of the world's largest collections of medieval armor and for a very long time was magnificently displayed at the now closed Higgins Armory. My favorite part of it was the great hall with armor throughout and a simulated jousting scene with horses with armor clad knights situated at opposite ends. Unfortunately the Higgins Armory experienced big visitor declines and a decision was made to close and send its collection to the Worcester Art Museum. Much of it was initially displayed at the WAM but it has now mostly been relegated to mothballs. I visited the WAM this summer and saw just a few pieces oddly placed throughout the museum amongst other non-related items. I inquired about the collection and was told that most of all it was in storage until a fundraising effort can raise enough money to build a new wing for it. When I questioned a planned open date, I was told it was a long way off. It was such a shame that the Worcester area could not adequately support the collection at a single space that was entirely dedicated to display it. I fear that it will never again get the space and proper detail attention it once had.

Old 10-26-2018, 04:45 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Growing up in the midwest, when ever Holy Cross would do anything in the basketball tournament (mid 90s, 01-07), no one had any idea where it was. It wasn't until I moved here that I found out it was here!
Holy Cross never really involved itself with Worcester. It's "Ivory Tower" location is a metaphore for it's veiw about the rest of the city.

You see it when you come and go.

Old 10-26-2018, 06:19 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,477,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Holy Cross never really involved itself with Worcester. It's "Ivory Tower" location is a metaphore for it's veiw about the rest of the city.

You see it when you come and go.
My next door neighbors are both professors at Holy Cross. They are nice enough but very standoffish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts