Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 02:23 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
I've always wondered how some contractors can run a successful business by totally ignoring customers. It must feel good to have so much money thrown to you that you are too busy to pick it up...

Is the best strategy for contractor calllbacks to wait for winter or a recession?
They're usually ignoring because they are scheduled at 100%. Sometimes they'll throw out an "I don't want to do this" price and people will actually pay. Most of my buddies in the trades are working this hard right now because of what happened during the last recession, not waiting for it. Gotta save for the low times. My plumber's advertised business phone goes straight to a full voicemail box that says he's no longer accepting new clients. His customers get his cell phone number.

A big thing for plumbers was the Merrimack issues. They were getting paid hand over fist to come in and do work for Columbia. Lots of folks saw the dollar signs and left their normal gig to go work in Lawrence, they even got put up on a cruise ship if they were from out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 02:34 PM

12,860 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
They're usually ignoring because they are scheduled at 100%. Sometimes they'll throw out an "I don't want to do this" price and people will actually pay.
This. And honestly, many are scheduled beyond 100%. My buddy (carpenter) is doing a big project down on the Cape that's keeping him there 6 days per week. Last Sunday, he drove from the Cape to Boston to work for 8 hours on another project. He's worked absurd hours over most of the last few years. His philosophy is exactly what you said - he wants to be OK when the next recession hits or the building cycle cools. He's also repeatedly mentioned asking absurd prices for simple work. He got $25k for a simple pergola over a small patio. A lady asked if he'd do it, he was busy and said "yeah, but it'll be $25k" and she accepted. So he built it over the course of the weekend. He said normally it's a $5k job. It's not bad business, it's just that there's way too much of it.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:42 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This. And honestly, many are scheduled beyond 100%. My buddy (carpenter) is doing a big project down on the Cape that's keeping him there 6 days per week. Last Sunday, he drove from the Cape to Boston to work for 8 hours on another project. He's worked absurd hours over most of the last few years. His philosophy is exactly what you said - he wants to be OK when the next recession hits or the building cycle cools. He's also repeatedly mentioned asking absurd prices for simple work. He got $25k for a simple pergola over a small patio. A lady asked if he'd do it, he was busy and said "yeah, but it'll be $25k" and she accepted. So he built it over the course of the weekend. He said normally it's a $5k job. It's not bad business, it's just that there's way too much of it.
Maybe I should consider a career change, that's crazy

Old 08-08-2019, 03:42 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,732,864 times
Wow, how much are carpenters pulling in these days? I always thought they made like 60k but if they get 25k for a weekend job...

Old 08-08-2019, 05:40 PM

880 posts, read 819,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Maybe I should consider a career change, that's crazy
The lady was probably getting fed up with zero callback and no follow ups from anyone she called. I could imagine the last recession was pretty rough for trades people...

Old 08-08-2019, 07:44 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
Some tradespeople are gouging in this environment, no doubt. I had a guy over to give me a quote on a simple repointing job on my brick stairs. He wanted 4k. Come on...got it done for under 300 dollars.

I feel for people getting screwed by these contractors/tradespeople...it's buyer beware & all that, but flush times like these bring out the avaricious.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:55 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,696,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
I've always wondered how some contractors can run a successful business by totally ignoring customers. It must feel good to have so much money thrown to you that you are too busy to pick it up...
A lot of them just suck at the business side of things. Others, as you say, simply don't care because they're so busy they don't need to deal with the small stuff.

Quote:
Is the best strategy for contractor calllbacks to wait for winter or a recession?
It depends on what you need done. A plumber is always going to cost a fortune. Construction stuff is usually cheaper during a recession. Some work like masonry just can't be done in the winter so waiting is a waste of time.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:19 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
...and is why I'll be Typar'ing my exposed sheathing this fall. $36K to replace the siding/trim and one window on a relatively simple raised cape? Yeah, I can stare at Typar until the next recession.

In the interim, I'll continue replacing the doors and windows myself. In this market, homeowners either need DiY skills or deep pockets ... or both.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:24 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Wow, how much are carpenters pulling in these days? I always thought they made like 60k but if they get 25k for a weekend job...
Maybe the lower-mid tier. The good ones are easily pulling 6 digits in this economy. My friend, who does upper-middle class residential remodel work in southern NH and lakes region pulls ~$60/hr, and is booked solid.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:25 AM

3,213 posts, read 2,120,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Some tradespeople are gouging in this environment, no doubt. I had a guy over to give me a quote on a simple repointing job on my brick stairs. He wanted 4k. Come on...got it done for under 300 dollars.

I feel for people getting screwed by these contractors/tradespeople...it's buyer beware & all that, but flush times like these bring out the avaricious.
Took me 3 months to find someone to do a pavers patio. after one agreed and bailed. The ball is indeed in their court these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts