Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 08:39 AM

24 posts, read 15,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
lol,but not take care of my kid.
See, if people weren’t making assumptions about me and judging my interests/desires, you’d know that I’m actually a perfect candidate to take care of your kid. I’m an extremely responsible 33-year-old that holds an education degree, has a decade of experience teaching, and is CPR and first aid certified. But beware, I’m also a musician who loves farmers markets and beer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 08:42 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiandressing View Post
See, if people weren’t making assumptions about me and judging my interests/desires, you’d know that I’m actually a perfect candidate to take care of your kid. I’m an extremely responsible 33-year-old that holds an education degree, has a decade of experience teaching, and is CPR and first aid certified. But beware, I’m also a musician who loves farmers markets and beer!
You sound like a dream date, haha.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:42 AM

3,222 posts, read 2,124,379 times
^ and a shady black market dog walking business

Old 09-27-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sorry I assumed you were a guy, my bad.

Welcome to CD. I really think most of these people have never been to a beer fest in VT where there are bands playing and kids playing. Or to a concert at Mass MOCA where there are tons of parents and their kids. This is normal!

This is a conservative forum though, there have been many comments over then years indicating many people here think such activities aren't "suitable" for kids. It is bizarre.

There are also, like with many online forums, the basement dwelling videogamers that see the world as a danger and are afraid of shadows. Crime is everywhere to them. It is, what it is.
No problem, friend. I kind of left the whole “we’re lesbians” part out because I didn’t want it to limit recommendations. We’re gay but, ironically, it’s a very small piece of our identity.

I guess I assumed that everyone is aware of the trendy new bring-your-kids-and-dogs-to-breweries culture. There is an entire generation of people who spend their weekends at farmers markets and then taprooms, kids and dogs in tow. It’s such a thing that I’ve contemplating opening up something similar myself because it seems you can’t really go wrong. I’m convinced that it doesn’t matter how good the beer is as long as there is beer and you make it on site. Hahah.

Old 09-27-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
^ and a shady black market dog walking business
This triggered a real life lol

Old 09-27-2019, 09:51 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Quote:
Wow, you are more dramatic than a middle schooler in the theater program.

First of all, I’m a woman. Second of all, who said we’re moving 3 months before the baby arrives? I stated very clearly that this is not a decision we have to make for a couple of years. Third of all, maybe it was my mistake admitting that this is my first kid. With that statement comes the assumption that I am naive to caretaking of children and what comes with it. Let me tell you, I am not. I also never stated that things don’t change, but thank you for putting words in my mouth. Of course things change! But my wife and I don’t have to slam the brakes on the things we enjoy doing together - especially when it is perfectly acceptable to do those things with kids. How much are you going to lose it when I tell you that a lot of the time we also bring our dog? OMG. Crazy, I know.

What I have observed, much like a couple of my pals on here mentioned, is that there are MANY different types of parents. I have a friend who had her first kid, decided it was her only kid, and is quite literally only a mom now. She ditched our friend group, joined all sorts of mom Facebook groups, and now spends most of her time hanging with other moms. Social life? Mansfield Family Fun Night is her idea of an exciting evening out. If that’s what works for her, fine!

On the other hand, there’s my brother and his wife. Just had a kid in June. Three days after she was born, they were strolling her down Broadway in Saratoga. Still going out to dinner, still hanging out on the boat, still doing things that they did before she arrived. Did the timing sometimes look different and they were getting dinner at 6:30 instead of 8? Sure. But their social life didn’t come to a screeching halt. I don’t know if you’ve ever been to Burlington, but they do a Friday night summer concert series in Battery Park. If you took a walk down there around 7pm do you know what you’d see? Families. Families EVERYWHERE. Picnic blankets strewn about, people snacking and drinking. Guess what else? Kids!!!

My sister and her husband - another example of having kids and pretty much continuing on with life as you knew it. More planning involved? Leaving earlier than usual? Goes without being said. But they didn’t hole themselves up in their house because they had kids. I know SO MANY people who are continuing to do the things they love and value from a social aspect.

Take your condescension and your presumptive comments and kick rocks. I’ve been “thinking about what’s important for the next few years” for YEARS. What’s important to me is continuing to do the things that my wife and I love to do..with the addition of our kids. We are simply seeking to live in a place that will help us do that with more ease. Why are you even chiming in on my personal morals/values? I asked about places to live! You are the reason I was hesitant to post on here. I just spent 20 minutes pissed off at how ignorant some people (read: you) can be.
Yeah so obviously I don't know that much about you. I gave my initial response based on the what little I could possibly know from the initial post. You don't like what I have to say, that's totally fine.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:33 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,334,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Yes families do fun stuff, but it's a lot more work and requires more planning then it does when it's just 2 adults. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it's a thing.

BUt less so when everything is right outside your door. We do lots of meeting up after kids are in bed and one parent stays home. You could make the argument that it’s as important as ever to live in a vibrant walkable community once you have kids because it allows you to still do things with more convenience and less time.

Last edited by semiurbanite; 09-27-2019 at 10:55 AM..

Old 09-27-2019, 11:10 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,334,272 times
Quote:
This this this this this this this this this. This is exactly what I’m aiming for. It’s also what I continually try to explain to my friend who lives in Mansfield with a kid and nay-says our desire to have a better social life — WITH our kids. It’s not a crazy thing to want to be able to stroll into town, have dinner and a couple of beers with my wife and kid, then stroll home for an 8pm bedtime. Mansfield doesn’t allow us to do that. And you’re right, there’s a HUGE difference between being walkable and having to drive. Huge. Thanks for chiming in!
And see my history of posts, the schools are much better than they appear on greatschools.com which does a really bad job factoring for diversity. Greatschools really just measures a lack of socioeconomic diversity. Extremely gay friendly too, the high school flies the pride flag and two years ago actually voted in a prom queen couple.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:39 AM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Best intentions? You just verbalized an assumption that I was a drug dealer
Yes, best of intentions (not benefit of the doubt).

Old 09-27-2019, 12:01 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,809,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
And see my history of posts, the schools are much better than they appear on greatschools.com which does a really bad job factoring for diversity. Greatschools really just measures a lack of socioeconomic diversity. Extremely gay friendly too, the high school flies the pride flag and two years ago actually voted in a prom queen couple.
Really picking up steam at #105th best high school inside 495 and #110 best place to raise a family. Glad to see things improving if you are a proponent of these clickbaity lists.

Mansfield at #36 and #44 respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts