Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 07:43 AM

24 posts, read 15,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
You'd be stupid to leave Mansfield IMO. You have potential free baby sitting a 15 minute drive away in Stoughton.

You won't have time to do all this cool crap you seem to care about once the kid comes, unless you have babysitting.

You don't like the 6 hour drive, but if you move equidistant you'll be doing a 3 hour drive more often. And once the kid comes you'll be pressured alot into seeing everyone more than you do now.
I knew one of you would appear. The “life comes to an end when you have a baby!” type. I have plenty of examples around me who have shown that life can go on just as you wish it to once you have a kid. I also have plenty of the naysayers, much like yourself...who, ironically, all live in places that are as exciting as a popcorn fart. You may find it hard to believe, but there are plenty of folks who live in places where they might have to pay a babysitter. Thank you for the extremely helpful response, though. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 07:47 AM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiandressing View Post
I knew one of you would appear. The “life comes to an end when you have a baby!” type. I have plenty of examples around me who have shown that life can go on just as you wish it to once you have a kid. I also have plenty of the naysayers, much like yourself...who, ironically, all live in places that are as exciting as a popcorn fart. You may find it hard to believe, but there are plenty of folks who live in places where they might have to pay a babysitter. Thank you for the extremely helpful response, though. Lol.
I pay a babysitter so yes, I'm aware it's an option. Did life come to an end when I had kids? No, but it's not the same life I had before them.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:02 AM

9,294 posts, read 14,908,083 times
You make it sound as if every single public school near Providence is bad. Far from true- if you like being in or near Providence check out the better public school options. There is an elementary in (Myron J Francis) Rumford (5 min to the east side) that is perfectly acceptable.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
What is your budget? This house just came on the market in Northampton that sounds kind of what you're looking for. Pricey though.

Northampton sounds like it fits what you're looking for. Great downtown with lots to do. Many restaurants, cafes, breweries, coffee shops and a good music scene. We have farmers markets and a great food co-op.

I moved here (from NH) in February and am impressed by the sense of community here. Lots of community things happening here.

The one thing I can't quite tell from your post is how you are making a living. Is it all through music? Do you need to find a local job? Anyway, there are a few of us from the area here, so feel free to ask more questions!
That house! <3 I love it. Yes, Northampton really does seem to check off lots of things we’re seeking. I’ve only spent 24 hours there for a performance a few years ago. I’m planning to put together a short list of these places that are contenders so we can try to explore them over the next year or so!

I make a living through music and a small side business. When the baby comes, I’ll be home with the baby while also continuing with he music at night. My wife has a job in which she can work remote, so we are hoping to negotiate that with her boss whom she has a great relationship with.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
You make it sound as if every single public school near Providence is bad. Far from true- if you like being in or near Providence check out the better public school options. There is an elementary in (Myron J Francis) Rumford (5 min to the east side) that is perfectly acceptable.
I’m only making it sound as bad as what I’ve been told by friends. Actually, the only reason I really learned about PVD schools was because a friend of mine was explaining how she and her husband are deciding whether to move out of Providence or send their kids to charter. I hadn’t realized things were THAT bad.

I’m also learning that there are plenty of areas surrounding with good schools like you mentioned. Not necessarily in PVD, but accessible.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I feel you on this. Also left for Burlington at 18 and just kept moving from there because, well, no jobs there. Portland and Burlington are probably the best places in New England for living from my POV. I chose Providence, but I don't have kids. I, sadly, think what you are looking for is in short supply in this region. Best of luck. Places like Greenfield or Brattleboro or even Northampton has most of these things, but jobs and schools are the question mark. The live music scene in Bratteboro with Stone Church is solid, and Hawk and Reed alongn with the Root Cellar in Greenfield are both excellent, I travel to those regularly.
I always say to my wife that we’ll go back to Burlington at some point. It’s our happy place up there! I’m not opposed to going back now, but for her it’s a little too far for comfort from her fam. I’d be lying if I said a little place in the north end wasn’t insanely appealing to me.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:26 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiandressing View Post
I always say to my wife that we’ll go back to Burlington at some point. It’s our happy place up there! I’m not opposed to going back now, but for her it’s a little too far for comfort from her fam. I’d be lying if I said a little place in the north end wasn’t insanely appealing to me.
Kindred spirit. I will be up there walking Church St and hitting Foam, Higher Ground and Monkey House next week. I wish 242 was still there. I did the WRUV thing for a bit too. There and Madison are my favorite places.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Kindred spirit. I will be up there walking Church St and hitting Foam, Higher Ground and Monkey House next week. I wish 242 was still there. I did the WRUV thing for a bit too. There and Madison are my favorite places.
Don’t forget the Saturday morning farmer’s market if you’re still there! It’s gotten so good over the years and you can’t beat it on a crisp fall day. We haven’t been in a year or so and we’re both missing it soooo much.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:43 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Ha, having lived in Madison I'm spoiled about farmers markets. If you're ever there on a Sat morning, check it out. It wraps the entire capital and unlike many farmers markets in the Northeast, its mostly cheaper than supermarkets.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:57 AM

79 posts, read 87,177 times
Love, love, love both Burlington and Saratoga Springs! Both inspired us to make our move from suburban Acton to someplace more vibrant, walkable, exciting, etc. Where did we end up? NEWBURYPORT!! Have you considered it? Best move ever for us. Never looked back. Will check ALL of the boxes on your list and then some except for decreasing the commute time to your families. Not as far as Portsmouth, though, which you mentioned. Amesbury has a similar vibe to Newburyport but is more budget friendly for housing and skews a bit younger, not sure about the Amesbury schools though. Newburyport High School is very good (but not one of MA powerhouses). I've heard mixed reviews on the middle school and not much about the elementary school, but there is an excellent charter school option right in town that ends at 8th grade.

Last edited by Idontwanttocheckmymessage; 09-26-2019 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts