Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 12:08 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Really picking up steam at #105th best high school inside 495 and #110 best place to raise a family. Glad to see things improving if you are a proponent of these clickbaity lists.

Mansfield at #36 and #44 respectively.
It's easy to rationalize the irrational if you have a vested interest in doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 12:24 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
BUt less so when everything is right outside your door. We do lots of meeting up after kids are in bed and one parent stays home. You could make the argument that it’s as important as ever to live in a vibrant walkable community once you have kids because it allows you to still do things with more convenience and less time.

So you do drinks, live music, etc with your significant other at home watching kids?

There's some merit to having nearby grandparents. If you're not going to take advantage of that, it's really an issue of how far away the OP's significant other is willing to move. Providence is the closest affordable place to Stoughton with that kind of vibe. They can use the next 4 or 5 years to figure out schools.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:32 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So you do drinks, live music, etc with your significant other at home watching kids?

I don't know about her, but there are several married people I hang with that do just that. They take turns. One, who just moved to Ashburnham (HAAAAATES IT) come to Providence to hang fairly regularly. Her husband also does his thing, mostly when one of his bands plays. They have two kids under 10.

It would be easier for them if they lived closer to civilization, but yeah, they decided work and being closer to family was worth that trade of. I think she'll go nuts though and I'm sure they'll bail once the kids become college age.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:13 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,284,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
lol,but not take care of my kid.
Well, I don't have a kid so, nice try.

Old 09-27-2019, 01:43 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Really picking up steam at #105th best high school inside 495 and #110 best place to raise a family. Glad to see things improving if you are a proponent of these clickbaity lists.

Mansfield at #36 and #44 respectively.
Yea those pesky lists, inconsistent aren’t they?
https://bostonrealestatetimes.com/am...make-the-list/

I feel like a broken record but academic achievement is all about the household and family environment. https://www.thesomervilletimes.com/archives/94227

Old 09-27-2019, 02:17 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
And see my history of posts, the schools are much better than they appear on greatschools.com which does a really bad job factoring for diversity. Greatschools really just measures a lack of socioeconomic diversity. Extremely gay friendly too, the high school flies the pride flag and two years ago actually voted in a prom queen couple.
I guess EXTREAMLY gay friendly and flies the pride flag ,outstrips math and science

Old 09-27-2019, 05:36 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I guess EXTREAMLY gay friendly and flies the pride flag ,outstrips math and science
It might, but why do you say that? MCAS data just came out and all i can tell ya is once again, several schools in Somerville and Cambridge are on par with Belmont and other top districts when you compare among the same subgroups. Not only that but it's clearly trickling up to older grades more every year. Heck being 108 out of 395 on this list might not sound like much but it was at around 350 10 years ago so being in the top 1/3 while also being one of the top 10 most diverse schools in the state is quite an achievement and the trajectory is still intact. https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...=massachusetts

Oh and just this week I went to a brewery and saw live music and I have 2 kids. Lost dream? Only if you live in a sleepy bedroom community.

<Cue in Wolfgang to justify his move to Arlington.>

Last edited by semiurbanite; 09-27-2019 at 05:53 PM..

Old 09-27-2019, 05:47 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Limited release kettle sour? $9 per glass. Tomatoes at the hip urban farmers market? $12/lb. Smug sense of superiority? Priceless.

Old 09-27-2019, 07:01 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sorry I assumed you were a guy, my bad.

Welcome to CD. I really think most of these people have never been to a beer fest in VT where there are bands playing and kids playing. Or to a concert at Mass MOCA where there are tons of parents and their kids. This is normal!

This is a conservative forum though, there have been many comments over then years indicating many people here think such activities aren't "suitable" for kids. It is bizarre.

There are also, like with many online forums, the basement dwelling videogamers that see the world as a danger and are afraid of shadows. Crime is everywhere to them. It is, what it is.
Count me as somebody who has never "been to a beer fest in VT". I guess that is some right of passage, that my deprived existence has failed to achieve as of this date. I have however been to countless other "adult" events (while I know they do not carry anywhere equal the prestige), where I have yes noticed the alarming growing trend of very selfish "parents" who couldn't get a babysitter, bring their sometimes very young kids to these settings. You will see 5 year old kids out there at 10:30 or 11 in the evening, I mean REALLY folks??? If there are any of you folks who insist anyway on being such irresponsible parents, I am also asking you to take consideration for the adults in the crowd who may also feel uncomfortable by this. They need their night out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiandressing View Post
I guess I assumed that everyone is aware of the trendy new bring-your-kids-and-dogs-to-breweries culture. There is an entire generation of people who spend their weekends at farmers markets and then taprooms, kids and dogs in tow. It’s such a thing that I’ve contemplating opening up something similar myself because it seems you can’t really go wrong. I’m convinced that it doesn’t matter how good the beer is as long as there is beer and you make it on site. Hahah.
Am I reading this correctly? You want to run an establishment that encourages people to get a buzz on in front of their (and others') kids??? Must feel great...

Old 09-27-2019, 07:03 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,697,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Count me as somebody who has never "been to a beer fest in VT". I guess that is some right of passage, that my deprived existence has failed to achieve as of this date. I have however been to countless other "adult" events (while I know they do not carry anywhere equal the prestige), where I have yes noticed the alarming growing trend of very selfish "parents" who couldn't get a babysitter, bring their sometimes very young kids to these settings. You will see 5 year old kids out there at 10:30 or 11 in the evening, I mean REALLY folks??? If there are any of you folks who insist anyway on being such irresponsible parents, I am also asking you to take consideration for the adults in the crowd who may also feel uncomfortable by this. They need their night out as well.
I will say that a babysitter who actually knows what they're doing and isn't a teenager in high school costs $$$$. But yes, I've seen what you're talking about and it's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts