Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 07:04 AM

17,774 posts, read 9,221,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Apparently that's the new thing...take turns going out separately. To think if I ever tried pulling that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Most of the 30-something year old couples with kids that I personally know do exactly that.
I may be missing something but I don't see the relevance. That's not what the OP is planning to do. She's planning to make it family night at the brewery and take the baby along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 07:08 AM

3,224 posts, read 2,128,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Understood. But I wasn't asking if you drink and drive.
What exactly are you asking? If I condone drinking and driving?
You are assuming a lot of things. Not everyone drives to bars. People in denser populations have luxuries to be able to walk places. I think the OP was clear on this.

Quote:
I may be missing something but I don't see the relevance. That's not what the OP is planning to do. She's planning to make it family night at the brewery and take the baby along.

And this bothers you for some reason?

Old 09-30-2019, 07:40 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
She's planning to make it family night at the brewery and take the baby along.
And when they are a baby it's the perfect opportunity to do such things seeing as the baby will spend the entire time sleeping in it's carrier.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:44 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,478,467 times
Quote:
And when they are a baby it's the perfect opportunity to do such things seeing as the baby will spend the entire time sleeping in it's carrier.
This is so true. Boy do I miss those days. I find it much harder taking them out now at seven and thirteen!

Old 09-30-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
She's planning to make it family night at the brewery and take the baby along.
Quote:

And that brings us back to this...

Quote:
I wonder if the OP is planning to drive when she brings her child to breweries.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:11 AM

24 posts, read 15,234 times
Quote:
Am I reading this correctly? You want to run an establishment that encourages people to get a buzz on in front of their (and others') kids??? Must feel great...
Yup. I don’t plan to shield my kids from the fact that I occasionally [and responsibly] like to drink beer or wine or whatever.

Quote:
I find it perplexing that the OP places such high priority on the proximity to breweries when making a major life decision. I'd be very surprised if DCF doesn't pay this family a visit at some point in the future.
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
It's not exactly a secret that many musicians suffer from addiction.
LOLLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Side business --> must be a drug dealer
Musician ---> probably an alcoholic
Likes breweries --> bad parent, call the state on them
Likes to socialize with their kids with other families with kids --> bad parent, should have gotten a sitter

Likes to see / play music at festivals with families (generally folk, jam band, bluegrass, etc) --> rowdy concerts, inappropriate for kids!

Missing anything?
Certifiable crowd. For real.
Initially I was pissed about the assumptions, but this thread is now just offering comedic relief.

Quote:
I wonder if the OP is planning to drive when she brings her child to breweries.

Is that something you'd condone, FCMA? How about you, GeePee? Timberline?
So then you basically missed the entire point of the thread? Finding a walkable community to live in? And there’s always that whole designated driver method we could fall back on. You know, where one person elects not to drink so they can drive. OH, plus Uber.

Quote:
I got a laugh out of this. This thread wasn’t what I expected when I opened it up and you pretty much summed up the judgemental comments that have been posted.

I’m sure the OP and her partner will be fine parents.
This thread is just wild. I can’t stop laughing.

My parents liked to have a good time when we were younger and they managed to raise three respectful children who grew into successful adults. None of us have been arrested, gotten a DUI, or committed any type of heinous crime. We know right from wrong. We all have found wonderful spouses. My sister has two girls that are sweet, smart, and loving. My brother has a 3-month old and we’re 3 months from our first arriving. The real kicker: we all enjoy casual drinking. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!

Quote:
Kindergarten teacher: "Kids, how bout we tell the class what we did over the weekend!"
Little Johnny: "Mommy brought me to a brewery!"

Proud moment, for sure.
LOLLLLLLLLL which rock do you live under?

Quote:
Not sure why it keeps coming back to this. There are bars in Mansfield. Maybe OP lives in an outlying part of town unwalkable to them, IDK but that's not the town's fault. You suggested Norwood. Sure, it has a few more watering holes but it's largely the same deal there.
What don’t you understand? Mansfield is not a walkable community. The “downtown” area offers nothing worth spending an afternoon there unless you’re interested in carpeting, a haircut, and hardware. The bars and restaurants that exist here are....less than mediocre. Jimmy’s is the only one we’ve been to multiple times; the first was to give it a try and the second was because we were out of options during a snowstorm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I have been kind of lurking on this thread and wow just wow! The level of self righteous smugness is incredible.

I am a parent of two and I absolutely did not give up my life after having kids. Yes it's ok to bring your kids out where alcohol is served or is even the main focus. I am older, 50, and easily remember a time when parents would occasionally bring kids to bars. Not fancy brewpubs just plain old bars. Shockingly I am not an alcoholic and am a semi productive adult!

Then to judge them for not wanting to raise their kids in a bland suburbia? I don't get it. Some people just don't like that kind of lifestyle. I know I don't. I personally think it's not in children's best interest to be raised in such a sterile environment. That is just my opinion but I'm not the only one.

If your SO will not let you go out to meet friends without them that's a problem. I thought all couples especially those with young kids took turns going out.
Thank you for acknowledging the asinine things that are being said in this thread. I am also not an alcoholic! Look at us go. Haha.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
What exactly are you asking?
The question wasn't confusing or difficult, and it was quoted again for your convenience.

You're obviously dodging it.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:17 AM

24 posts, read 15,234 times
Quote:
Hold on to your seat, redplum33. I’m about to blow your mind.

When the baby comes I plan to return the DD favor to my wife who will have been driving my ass around for 9 months at that point. So, yup - I’d drive. But let’s not get things twisted, I’d still enjoy 1 or 2 beers.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:19 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russiandressing View Post
Hold on to your seat, redplum33. I’m about to blow your mind.

When the baby comes I plan to return the DD favor to my wife who will have been driving my ass around for 9 months at that point. So, yup - I’d drive. But let’s not get things twisted, I’d still enjoy 1 or 2 beers.

You drunkard!
Time to exchange that twelve string for twelve steps!

Old 09-30-2019, 08:19 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
Once again...assuming things.

Just like some assumed the "side business" was selling drugs, when in fact it was walking dogs.

There are ways to get out and enjoy life without driving cars. DD's, ubers, walking (if applicable).

Maybe her partner doesn't drink? Maybe they take turns?

I know when my wife and I go out and take our now 2-year old with us, one of us will not drink so that person can be the one to drive home. After the baby came, my wife was breast-feeding so she still held off on drinking alcohol when we went out. It is possible to enjoy a night out at a place that does serve alcohol, and not have any.

And just to add...looking back at times I've gone to Breweries....I've seen plenty of kids there. Maybe not at 11PM, but at more reasonable hours for sure. I took my kids to Tree House because we happened to be driving by. They played outside with *gasp* other kids, while I went in to buy some cans. No need to call DCFS

Last edited by BostonMike7; 09-30-2019 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts