Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 07:00 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

With masks, my take is that they were trying to stop people hoarding vital PPE needed by health care workers. In a perfect universe, every person in the country would have a box of 100 N95 masks but those come from China and have been in short supply.
That's my take on it too. The told people not to wear masks, because they were in short supply and didn't want every person in the US running out to stock up and hoard boxes of N95's. It was more of a strategic move so they could ensure the people that needed masks could get them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 07:03 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
That's what everyone was saying in January, too.

Why are you comparing this to the flu? I thought we had moved on from that mindset. You've been midwesternified already.
The study I posted compared the fatality rate to the flu, to get an idea of how much you should be concerned. You need to compare to things to be able to assess it. Does anyone read anything?

If being midwestified means reading scientific journals critically and not lambasting anyone with a differing opinion, then I guess guilty as charged.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:05 AM

3,386 posts, read 1,542,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So you’ve never gotten something wrong in your life, acknowledged it, and moved on?

With masks, my take is that they were trying to stop people hoarding vital PPE needed by health care workers. In a perfect universe, every person in the country would have a box of 100 N95 masks but those come from China and have been in short supply.
His models where way exagerated and someone on this very post said he did that on purpose to scare people. Its been known that Dr fauci likes to scare people to do what he wants . He loves the power just like anyone would. Its called dishonesty.

How could a infectious disease expert get the masks wrong?

He has been around a very long time . Just because someone is a expert does not mean they are a good guy. I can ignore the mask advice but his models where way off on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
You are so right about this. There are 2 of my FB friends, and my own brother, who I can see are consistently downplaying the threat as witnessed by their reactions to my posts. Commonality? They all live in the Midwest (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois). Coincidence? I think not...
Just curious, have you read anything I've written or any of the studies I've posted?

New England is full of miserable, self-righteous, toxic people btw. And apparently also afraid of science.

I assume you must share the same opion of Ohio as you do with Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, etc then? That's not very cosmopolitan of you (I know that's super important where you live!)

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
I don't know about him, but for me, having two kids that need near-constant supervision (4 + 6) combined with two parents who can still work full time jobs from home, there really aren't enough hours in the day.

Oh yeah. I can attest to that as well. Three kids at home, two are doing distance learning with two different curriculums and then a high energy 2.5 year old who wants attention all day long. Combine that with two parents trying to work from home, in addition to dinner, cleaning, dishes, trash, etc and it's a full day.

Ours are usually asleep by 8PM though, and stay asleep until around 7AM, so no lack of sleep here unless I spend a late night in the garage. But, having had a child who was a problem sleeper at a young age, I definitely know what it's like to get woken up every 2 hours during the course of a night and not get any sleep. SOOOOO happy we don't have that added to our plate.

Now, if we could only get the art teacher to understand that completing their art assignment doesn't really rank high on our list of priorities for the day.....

Old 05-13-2020, 07:14 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
These reports are, quite frankly, irresponsible and largely speculative. It's really shocking how this is being passed off.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2766037

"Finally, it is important to emphasize that the overall burden of COVID-19 infection in children remains relatively low compared with seasonal influenza. As of April 28, 2020, the CDC report 8 deaths in children 14 years or younger related to COVID-19 infection, whereas there have so far been 169 influenza-related deaths in children 14 years or younger during the 2019-2020 season, with 81 of these occurring in 2020.14,15 Thus, up to this time of the pandemic in North America, children continue to face a far greater risk of critical illness from influenza than from COVID-19, pointing to the imperative for ongoing preventive pediatric health maintenance during this time."
Quote:

Why are you comparing this to the flu? I thought we had moved on from that mindset. You've been midwesternified already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
You are so right about this. There are 2 of my FB friends, and my own brother, who I can see are consistently downplaying the threat as witnessed by their reactions to my posts. Commonality? They all live in the Midwest (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois). Coincidence? I think not...
The flu is commonly used to put disease rates in context. In this case, it was used by an article in The Journal of the American Medical Association, which, because you're clearly too lazy to check, is peer-reviewed.

Maybe save the pejorative use of "midwestern" for people that are not quoting peer-reviewed journals?

FWIW: Here is the affiliation list, just so you can see that the study isn't polluted entirely by "midwestern" thinking:

1Texas Children’s Hospital, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston
2Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, Atlanta, Georgia
3Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois
4Johns Hopkins Children’s Center, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
5Boston Children’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
6Baystate Children’s Hospital, UMass Medical School Baystate Campus, Springfield, Massachusetts
7Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Wayne State University, Detroit
8Bristol-Myers Squibb Hospital, Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, New Jersey
9NewYork-Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children’s Hospital, Columbia University Medical Center, New York
10Nationwide Children’s Hospital, The Ohio State University College of Medicine, Columbus
11Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
12Seattle Children’s Hospital, University of Washington, Seattle
13Children’s Memorial Hermann Hospital, University of Texas, Houston
14Children’s National Medical Center, George Washington School of Medicine, Washington, DC
15Boston Children’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts

Old 05-13-2020, 07:14 AM

779 posts, read 876,821 times
Quote:

We all know that this is not the flu, but it's still valid to compare hospitalization and mortality rates for covid vs. the flu when talking specifically about children. The CDC does--this bullet is directly from the CDC:

For children (0-17 years), COVID-19 hospitalization rates are much lower than influenza hospitalization rates during recent influenza seasons.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:15 AM

^ thank you jayrandom. Lots of pseudo-intellectuals unwilling (unable?) to engage in honest discussion. People will believe what they want. I don't want to get in the way of this doom and gloom orgy any more. Enjoy!

Old 05-13-2020, 07:21 AM

3,386 posts, read 1,542,409 times
Quote:
The study I posted compared the fatality rate to the flu, to get an idea of how much you should be concerned. You need to compare to things to be able to assess it. Does anyone read anything?

If being midwestified means reading scientific journals critically and not lambasting anyone with a differing opinion, then I guess guilty as charged.
There is a professor Johan Giesecke One of the worlds most senior epidemiologists has a totally different opinion and is against total lockdowns. The case being made on the opposite opinion on fauci that it will only extended the length of the virus to be around longer. He also has ways of protecting the old without total lockdowns. He is a advisor to the swedish goverment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfN2JWifLCY&t=939s

there are epidemiologists that do disagree with Dr Fauci. He was chief scientist for the european centers for disease control.

https://www.aier.org/article/lockdow...ohan-giesecke/

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 05-13-2020 at 07:37 AM..

Old 05-13-2020, 07:24 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,319 times
Quote:
Just curious, have you read anything I've written or any of the studies I've posted?

New England is full of miserable, self-righteous, toxic people btw. And apparently also afraid of science.

I assume you must share the same opion of Ohio as you do with Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, etc then? That's not very cosmopolitan of you (I know that's super important where you live!)
No need for insults. Is that a midwestern thing?

You posted one study that compared COVID-19's vs. the flu's impact on children. That's the exact soundbite that was circulating heavily in the early stages of COVID-19 through February before even the diehard downplayers came around to reality. To make that comparison again is folly.

You cannot compare the US to Germany or Switzerland or Sweden. You know this, so I have no idea why you are putting this idea forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts