Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 01:52 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times

Advertisements

I still think you’re mistaken in that even larger companies are doing a tally of work from home productivity right now. I also don’t think you realize how long it could take to get everyone back in the office. If the stay home thing is lifted on may 5th ( which I don’t think it will be) no way will most corporate places be calling employees back into the office. Many people take trains and have no other way to get to work and parking is very limited. If someone says their are worried about taking the train and can they just work from home I think any manager would be a douche to say no. Health is taken very seriously by any intelligent company I’m actually surprised that Bostonmike7 is even going into the office now at all and has other employees doing so.

And yes some employers, not all may come to the conclusion that they don’t need as much rent space or any going forward if wfh is going well.

Not sure how you can say this experience isn’t going to change things particularly like the way we work for quite some time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 01:53 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Regarding WFH, is anyone really going to crowded public transportation to work until there's vaccine? I'm going to drive or WFH(or go in at 10 and leave at 4 + work 2hrs at home)
Exactly. And why bother coming in at 10 and leave at 4? Just seems easier to work from home.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:58 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I still think you’re mistaken in that even larger companies are doing a tally of work from home productivity right now. I also don’t think you realize how long it could take to get everyone back in the office. If the stay home thing is lifted on may 5th ( which I don’t think it will be) no way will most corporate places be calling employees back into the office. Many people take trains and have no other way to get to work and parking is very limited. If someone says their are worried about taking the train and can they just work from home I think any manager would be a douche to say no. Health is taken very seriously by any intelligent company I’m actually surprised that Bostonmike7 is even going into the office now at all and has other employees doing so.

And yes some employers, not all may come to the conclusion that they don’t need as much rent space or any going forward if wfh is going well.

Not sure how you can say this experience isn’t going to change things particularly like the way we work for quite some time.

If you think large companies don't track productivity, well, then I am not sure what to tell you.

The short term, next month, next few months, even a year is really irrelevant to the conversation. We are discussing long term decisions, such as relocating offices, which often have 7-10 year leases or more.

History has shown us to be a species with incredibly short memories, especially to negative events.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:01 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
If you think large companies don't track productivity, well, then I am not sure what to tell you.

The short term, next month, next few months, even a year is really irrelevant to the conversation. We are discussing long term decisions, such as relocating offices, which often have 7-10 year leases or more.

History has shown us to be a species with incredibly short memories, especially to negative events.
Well a year from now who knows. But if a group of employees have been working well from home and after a year there’s a vaccine i don’t know why the situation would change much.

Old 04-24-2020, 02:01 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Quote:

Nailed it on every count

Old 04-24-2020, 02:04 PM

Well time will tell. Some might end up with no job at all.

I think people who want to keep working from home are going to do what they can to make it happen for the long term.

Last edited by Bridge781; 04-24-2020 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: K

Old 04-24-2020, 02:42 PM

Here’s a great article that talks about this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bos...y-reopens/amp/

Old 04-24-2020, 03:50 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:

The longer this goes on, the harder it will be to go back to the way things were.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:57 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
Regarding WFH, is anyone really going to crowded public transportation to work until there's vaccine? I'm going to drive or WFH(or go in at 10 and leave at 4 + work 2hrs at home)
Lots of people won't have a choice. A vaccine is also an if, not a when. Some people are going to adjust to and tolerate the risk more if this thing is still rolling around in 2-3 years with no vaccine in sight.

Still others might convince themselves that it's too scary to ride the T but not too scary to hit the gym after work. It's pretty common to see people not do something they perceive as dangerous yet do other things that are actually just as dangerous without a second thought. Looking at you, people who wear gloves then take them off while touching the outside of them or people who wear masks but still touch their face with their hands.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:18 PM

Well the not having a choice part is what makes this so hard. Some people can work from home whenever they want, some can’t. So the can’ts will really be risking their health now on public transportation.

I don’t know what the answers are and I see no end any time soon. I’m sure some people are bigger risk takers than others but some folks really worry about getting sick.

The part about wayfair checking temps seems ridiculous but that might be the new reality. It seems easier to just have people work from home than it does to take temps. And if someone has a high temp they go home and anyone who came in contact with them needs to quarantine? Stay home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts