Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2020, 08:01 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,549,657 times

Advertisements

I saw a person at the wayfair Boston office say they were going to be raking temps of employees as they come in. Unless they’re making the furniture there I’m not sure why the need for that especially since they just laid off hundreds of people. Seems like something weird is up with that company in general
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2020, 10:19 AM

875 posts, read 664,684 times
Be careful what you wish for with respect to WFH.

We are already having discussions about other potential financial upsides. For example, why pay east coast comp. for full-time WFH if we can use employees from less expensive geographic locations with similar skill sets.

Different story of course if you are highly skilled and/or have a unique offering ..... but that has always been the case with comp.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:32 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I saw a person at the wayfair Boston office say they were going to be raking temps of employees as they come in. Unless they’re making the furniture there I’m not sure why the need for that especially since they just laid off hundreds of people. Seems like something weird is up with that company in general
Temperature taking is pointless for COVID. If one has a measurable fever, likely are too ill to be out and about. Asymptomatic transmission and infection. I agree that something seems up with Wayfair as they slide out of business.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:36 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Not every job is able to be performed remotely...even essential jobs.

I'm so exasperated with the many people who think everyone works in an office behind a screen. Don't they know any workers?

I told a wealthy-through-marriage friend in Honolulu that my tenant in my rental house is a custodian in the lockerrooms, etc. of a coal mine, where six workers are sick and positive and the mine can only test those with symptoms, I assume for lack of testing capacity. My friend marveled, she said that was so outside her experience in life and work (retired guidance counselor, husband a software business owner).

I fear that this pandemic is going to increase lack of interest/concern/consideration of all poor people, low-income workers, immigrants, people of color, all as "others" to the people happily working from home behind a screen.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:37 AM

604 posts, read 562,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Be careful what you wish for with respect to WFH.

We are already having discussions about other potential financial upsides. For example, why pay east coast comp. for full-time WFH if we can use employees from less expensive geographic locations with similar skill sets.

Different story of course if you are highly skilled and/or have a unique offering ..... but that has always been the case with comp.
"Onshoring" has been a thing for a little bit. For example, Adobe has a pretty big presence in Utah. I think it's only going to continue.

My line of work is pretty remote-friendly, I would love to exploit COL differences and move to a smaller city with better weather and friendlier people to live like a king, but unfortunately my wife isn't all that keen on the idea.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:13 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I'm so exasperated with the many people who think everyone works in an office behind a screen. Don't they know any workers?

I told a wealthy-through-marriage friend in Honolulu that my tenant in my rental house is a custodian in the lockerrooms, etc. of a coal mine, where six workers are sick and positive and the mine can only test those with symptoms, I assume for lack of testing capacity. My friend marveled, she said that was so outside her experience in life and work (retired guidance counselor, husband a software business owner).

I fear that this pandemic is going to increase lack of interest/concern/consideration of all poor people, low-income workers, immigrants, people of color, all as "others" to the people happily working from home behind a screen.
My hope is that it increases the interest in them and that the sheer number of people this affects and the resulting problems that causes for everyone will wake people up and see that many progressive policies are good for everyone, not just the poor. One example is health insurance. It is so asinine that we have health insurance tied to employment. Small business owners complain about the high cost of providing insurance to their employees. Well, if the government handled that, that cost would go away and small businesses would be on a more even playing field in competing for good employees, who might otherwise go to a larger business that had better insurance benefits.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:45 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Small business owners complain about the high cost of providing insurance to their employees. Well, if the government handled that, that cost would go away and small businesses would be on a more even playing field in competing for good employees, who might otherwise go to a larger business that had better insurance benefits.
This was not the case prior to the Affordable Care Act. As a small business owner who provided their employees health insurance before and after, I can say that things weren't perfect beforehand but they are much much worse now. Many of us (small business owners) supported ACA, however what was delivered was not what was promised, and the results have been disastrous. And no, socialized health care is certainly not the answer.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:00 PM

I’m exasperated with people who think all work needs to be a train ride or car ride into the office where you are there all day 5 days a week.

The head of our dept told us today that he doesn’t know when we will be back to the office and it could be a while. They don’t see the point in having people wear masks at work or taking temps.

I’m well aware that some people need to be somewhere physically.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:02 PM

My dept has made a point to thank the custodial people as well. They’re not forgotten.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:04 PM

9,100 posts, read 6,324,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
This was not the case prior to the Affordable Care Act. As a small business owner who provided their employees health insurance before and after, I can say that things weren't perfect beforehand but they are much much worse now. Many of us (small business owners) supported ACA, however what was delivered was not what was promised, and the results have been disastrous. And no, socialized health care is certainly not the answer.
The goal should be to lower healthcare costs, not to simply provide more insurance to cover escalating healthcare costs. Letting costs escalate is unsustainable. If it were up to me I would start with tort reform as it relates to malpractice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts