Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 08:05 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
As someone for whom budget *is* always a concern, I can understand where you are coming from there.

Unless you're a Bezos or a Gates, budget is a concern for everyone and you adapt your lifestyle to your cash flow. We all prioritize things differently in our budgets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 02:29 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimwriter View Post
I grew up in Sudbury MA, and want to relocate. I love the nature of this area, with many places to walk, run and spend time outside. I want the same environment but with much higher racial diversity, and access to art communities and events, hopefully still within an hour of the ocean. So I don't want a super urban feel, but I want some of the features that a city offers. Any suggestions for places in MA that would fit that? Thank you!
Would you consider someplace outside Massachusetts? A lot of your criteria sound like mine heading into my third age. I am looking at the Rhode Island coast for a future happy place. Many people love Portland, Maine - not for me, I'm not a fan of cold cold water and colder winters than Massachusetts, but many people love it and you might find a mix of arts and outdoor activities you are looking for there.

If your heart is set on staying in Massachusetts, the best fit for your criteria would be Salem - diversity, arts, woods, water, and as much of a laid-back West Coast vibe as you might find on the "other" coast.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 10-04-2021 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: add

Old 10-06-2021, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 899 times
Newton

Old 10-08-2021, 06:33 AM

913 posts, read 559,331 times
FWIW, Melrose is the opposite: an urban town with a natural edge (an unusual amount of it, given it's roughly 7 miles from downtown Boston as the crow flies, is bounded by parks).

Old 10-08-2021, 07:39 AM

8 posts, read 10,557 times
Waltham has more of an urban edge and spots of nature. I grew up in Lexington and that is not a real suggestion- it is super suburban.

Old 10-08-2021, 04:42 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,456 times
Beverly is quickly becoming a mini Boston.
High rises, Many eateries

Old 10-09-2021, 08:37 AM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
Throwing out Ipswich as an option. A downtown, beaches, farms, hiking trails, etc. You can do alot of things but can walk to places downtown. Not very diverse though.

Old 10-10-2021, 07:45 PM

8 posts, read 6,804 times
Ok, so I've been exploring and reading a lot online.

*I still need to check out Milton.

I went to Fitchburg, and like the layered feel of it. It feels like a big Maynard to me, but more diverse. Any recommendations of what area(s) of Fitchburg have the most rural feel? Hoping for a place where I can head out my front door and go for a walk/run/bike ride and have a low-key neighborhood to do that in - low traffic, etc.

I'm also visiting RI soon. Providence was suggested here, and looks appealing. I'm focusing on Mass, but RI would be an exception. (I've spent time in other surrounding states, and have ruled them out for various reasons.). So same question for the Providence area - any suggestions on an area within, or on the outskirts of the city, that would offer a neighborhood that's good/safe for walking/running/biking? Thanks!

Old 10-11-2021, 06:32 AM

432 posts, read 414,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimwriter View Post
I went to Fitchburg, and like the layered feel of it. It feels like a big Maynard to me, but more diverse. Any recommendations of what area(s) of Fitchburg have the most rural feel? Hoping for a place where I can head out my front door and go for a walk/run/bike ride and have a low-key neighborhood to do that in - low traffic, etc.
Check out the swatch between Route's 12 and 31 on the Northwest side of the city. People might call it West Fitchburg or Crockerville. Near the Hospital and the Yarn Works. Lots of old farm roads to wander. Easy drive to Watatic, Crow Hill, Jewell Hill, Wachusett Mountain, Willard Brook, etc. East side is also very rural, just has less conservation land.
I like Upper Cleghorn also (along Franklin and Electric Ave)- Coggshall park is amazing and Parkhill is pretty nice. The older ranch neighborhoods by the golf course are quiet.

Old 10-11-2021, 12:56 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,528,212 times
Roads up around Ashburnham Hill Rd and Rindge Rd put you right on the edge of a great Mass Audubon sanctuary and public water supply land with miles of trails. Fitchburg truly is on the edge of nature - some nearby towns to the north like Ashby and into NH have ~3,000 people or less. The entire northern third of Fitchburg itself is even quite rural.

LOL and folks didn’t think Fitchburg could possibly be an option for anyone. There are nice parts to every supposed “dump” in the Commonwealth. If OP liked Maynard and Fitchburg, also don’t overlook Clinton. It’s the next mini milltown up for Maynard / Hudson-ization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts