Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 1,931 times

Advertisements

Hi There,
My girlfriend and I decided to move in together, but our jobs are going to be in Springfield and Providence (mine in Providence). We are looking at Worcester, as an option because we want to be in some kind of city atmosphere (I am 24 and shes 22), but I'm worried about the commute. I think some towns like Millbury could be better for a commute, but I'm worried that will be a bit too sleepy for us. Does anyone have any insight on the Worcester to Providence commute? Or any suggestions for places to live in between Providence and Springfield? I'll also post this in the RI thread.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 01:29 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,123,542 times
What kind of amenities do you want? How do you define "city atmosphere"?

Those are pretty tough locations to have as job sites for a couple living together. I find Google maps drive estimates to be pretty accurate most of the time.

Old 06-12-2023, 01:36 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,891,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanley22 View Post
I think some towns like Millbury could be better for a commute
Depending on where in Worcester, there is literally no different between a Worcester-PVD commute and a Millbury-PVD commute.

The 146-90 interchange isn't the greatest, so if you both can avoid it, the better.

Unless you go into CT and drive US 6, you aren't getting a better compromise than Worcester/Auburn/Millbury. Everything west of Auburn will make an awful commute into Providence - especially if you have to merge with 95 (Mineral Springs exit is not a bad commute from Worcester, you only hit slow traffic around CVS/Sayles Hill rd). Driving from Sturbridge or even worse Palmer to PVD would be a nightmare.

Not the same as you, but I worked with a lady who lived in Thompson, RI and her husband worked in PVD while she worked in Worcester. Decent commute.
I currently work with a guy who lives in Woonsocket and a lady who lives in Springfield. He never has any problems. She sometimes has traffic issues on 290 - but never the pike.

Old 06-12-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
What kind of amenities do you want? How do you define "city atmosphere"?

Those are pretty tough locations to have as job sites for a couple living together. I find Google maps drive estimates to be pretty accurate most of the time.
I guess I just really want something walkable and to be able to walk to restaurants and stuff like that. I was originally going to live in the city in Providence, so that's where that thinking comes from. Yea it's not ideal, and were thinking maybe its only for a year, and her job could become more remote, and we could eliminate one of the commutes at least. Thanks for your reply

Old 06-12-2023, 01:58 PM

9,875 posts, read 7,204,615 times
If you want urban/city, Worcester seems to be your only option. The drive for each of you would be about an hour with your commute to Providence being more susceptible to delays.

Good Luck.

Old 06-12-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Depending on where in Worcester, there is literally no different between a Worcester-PVD commute and a Millbury-PVD commute.

The 146-90 interchange isn't the greatest, so if you both can avoid it, the better.

Unless you go into CT and drive US 6, you aren't getting a better compromise than Worcester/Auburn/Millbury. Everything west of Auburn will make an awful commute into Providence - especially if you have to merge with 95 (Mineral Springs exit is not a bad commute from Worcester, you only hit slow traffic around CVS/Sayles Hill rd). Driving from Sturbridge or even worse Palmer to PVD would be a nightmare.

Not the same as you, but I worked with a lady who lived in Thompson, RI and her husband worked in PVD while she worked in Worcester. Decent commute.
I currently work with a guy who lives in Woonsocket and a lady who lives in Springfield. He never has any problems. She sometimes has traffic issues on 290 - but never the pike.
Thanks for your reply. This is very helpful. I think her drive will be a bit easier than mine. But we both think it'd be more fun to be in Worcester, if we could find a nice walkable street to do stuff on the weekends. Are schedules are both a bit flexible so we may not necessarily need to be driving in rush hour. It may make sense to find something in the College Hill area so that we are in between 146 and 290. I've been talking to a guy about a place near WPI in a nice neighborhood, and that would put us north of the 90-146. I appreciate the information.

Old 06-12-2023, 02:14 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanley22 View Post
I've been talking to a guy about a place near WPI in a nice neighborhood, and that would put us north of the 90-146. I appreciate the information.

I was going to say, that area is probably your best bet. But I think you realize that this will be far from an ideal situation, and hopefully one of you can find a job closer to the other before not too long.

Old 06-12-2023, 03:19 PM

24,556 posts, read 18,244,243 times
The 146/I-95 interchange is going to be dug up for years. I personally wouldn’t want a Worcester/Providence daily commute until all the construction on I-95 between 146 and 6 is done. I guess if you can flex your job to start early, it would be OK. Unlike Boston, the roads are moving at 6:30am.

Old 06-12-2023, 10:44 PM

17,686 posts, read 9,175,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post

Thompson is in CT, not RI.

Old 06-13-2023, 12:56 PM

8,496 posts, read 4,557,552 times
The main issue with the Rte 146 commute between Providence and Worcester are the traffic lights in Sutton-MA and Lincoln-RI. The Lincoln intersection is particularly bad at present as it gets regularly backed up for the light during the commuting times. Construction has however started to eliminate this light with a flyover bridge. The bad news is that the construction could make matters momentarily worse and this might go on for some time. The other problem is the terminus of Rte 146 at Rte 95 in Providence. There are always slowdowns at that point inbound and outbound as you also have to contend with several other on and off ramps in close proximity which results in much lane changing. A new on ramp to Rte 146 is being built which might soon alleviate things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts