Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2023, 11:18 AM

10,033 posts, read 15,687,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
So maybe previous Haitian immigrants or immigrants from other Caribbean countries can do the same?
You would think so, but it never works out that way. I think they know better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2023, 12:43 PM

959 posts, read 542,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
You would think so, but it never works out that way. I think they know better.
They of course know better than us.

However I watched GBH program about Haitian refugees and director of some department working with them (IIRC also from Haiti some time ago) blamed situation with people are not opening their houses on racism. So I thought maybe people who are not racist can open their homes.

Also there was an interview with one of refugees and there a question about why Massachusetts. He said he brought family here because of good schools. Well, Massachusetts is known for good schools, but I would consider other things like horrendous situation with rent availability and affordability even for people already living here. Somebody is doing a huge disservice to poor people from Haiti.

Old 07-18-2023, 01:02 PM

10,033 posts, read 15,687,275 times
Towns they are being sent:“Burlington, Chelsea, Chicopee, Concord, Dedham, Greenfield, Holyoke, Kingston, Marlborough, Methuen, Norton, Norwood, Peabody, Plymouth, Revere, Saugus, Shrewsbury, Sturbridge, Taunton, West Springfield, Westborough, Woburn and Worcester.”

Towns they are not being sent: Cambridge, Brookline, Newton, Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket, Chatham, Swampscott, Newburyport, Wellesley, Dover, Sherborn, Amherst….

https://howiecarrshow.com/lucky-28-towns-get-migrants/

Old 07-18-2023, 01:13 PM

16,454 posts, read 8,242,983 times
I would think any town they are sent to would have to be able to accommodate them...like have hotels. Does Dover have a hotel? I would think Cambridge and Brookline would be no brainers...they should be sent there, why aren't they There are hotels and places for them to find work.

Now, Nantucket and MV have hotels...but those are islands. Not sure that would be the best place for them (not that I care). The food is expensive, there's not many grocery stores, etc. Chatham is kind of similar.

There is no good place to send them is what it comes down to. I think the places they are being sent to are lower cost of living towns that have hotels along with places to find work. I still don't think it's right or ok, but it is what it is at this point.

Old 07-18-2023, 01:22 PM

3,639 posts, read 1,862,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I would think any town they are sent to would have to be able to accommodate them...like have hotels. Does Dover have a hotel? I would think Cambridge and Brookline would be no brainers...they should be sent there, why aren't they There are hotels and places for them to find work.

Now, Nantucket and MV have hotels...but those are islands. Not sure that would be the best place for them (not that I care). The food is expensive, there's not many grocery stores, etc. Chatham is kind of similar.

There is no good place to send them is what it comes down to. I think the places they are being sent to are lower cost of living towns that have hotels along with places to find work. I still don't think it's right or ok, but it is what it is at this point.
Concord and Burlington are low cost of living towns?! Have you seen the housing prices there?! Those towns have plenty of $3M white farm houses for sale https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_53739273/

Last edited by newenglandgal123; 07-18-2023 at 01:48 PM..

Old 07-18-2023, 01:55 PM

852 posts, read 558,088 times
What kind of immigrants?
I suppose they are not those who have a work visa, so are they Latin Americans? Ukrainians? Middle Easterners? Africans?

Old 07-18-2023, 02:03 PM

16,454 posts, read 8,242,983 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Concord and Burlington are low cost of living towns?! Have you seen the housing prices there?! Those towns have plenty of $3M white farm houses for sale https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_53739273/
I am not familiar with Burlington really, but there were some less desirable towns in there. Concord is obviously nice. I feel like Burlington has a lot of restaurants, shopping malls, places to work? I dont know why the towns that were picked were picked.

Old 07-18-2023, 02:28 PM

17,783 posts, read 9,221,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

They are looking for people to take them in at their houses. Not hotels.

"Massachusetts officials are seeking residents willing to host newly arrived families in need of shelter. Hosts are asked to provide a room or apartment for a few days, until longer-term accommodations can be arranged."

Old 07-18-2023, 02:30 PM

17,783 posts, read 9,221,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtPleasantDream View Post
What kind of immigrants?
I suppose they are not those who have a work visa, so are they Latin Americans? Ukrainians? Middle Easterners? Africans?
Haitians apparently.

"A significant portion of the families in need of housing in the state are new immigrants. Many of those arriving in Boston have fled violence in Haiti and traveled through other states before coming to Massachusetts."

Old 07-18-2023, 02:52 PM

12,877 posts, read 22,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I guess we must be short on hotel space, or have run out of money.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2023/07/15...omes-immigrant
I hope there's a way to track how many people open their homes and the information is made public. Regardless, I hope the simple fact that this is necessary encourages some meaningful discussion about immigration policy - both on a state level and a national level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts