Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 03:01 PM

3,620 posts, read 1,844,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Where I live now, a few years back there was a rash of break-ins targeting East Indians. They managed to catch the thieves who came from out of state to commit the burglaries.

While I have met and seen East Indians who live modestly, there are plenty that buy the biggest houses they can afford, the most expensive vehicles and dress in a way that flaunts their wealth. IMO, no matter what race, religion or ethnicity one is, it's never good to flaunt one's wealth.
When I was car shopping a few months back this family of about 6 Indians showed up in a minivan at the Audi dealership then I went to a BMW one down the street and they showed up not too long after. It seemed a bit peculiar because there were so many of them (about 2 younger kids (probably 5-8 year olds and one older teen, plus 3-4 adults) and they all crammed into this minivan. Is it their normal practice to pack up the whole family and all go car shopping together like that? It seemed to me that they were more doing like a family outing and thought it would be fun to go out test driving luxury vehicles but who knows maybe they were genuinely looking for a new vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2023, 03:04 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Where I live now, a few years back there was a rash of break-ins targeting East Indians. They managed to catch the thieves who came from out of state to commit the burglaries.

While I have met and seen East Indians who live modestly, there are plenty that buy the biggest houses they can afford, the most expensive vehicles and dress in a way that flaunts their wealth. IMO, no matter what race, religion or ethnicity one is, it's never good to flaunt one's wealth.
I think you're referring to Indian Americans.

Old 08-04-2023, 05:23 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
When I was car shopping a few months back this family of about 6 Indians showed up in a minivan at the Audi dealership then I went to a BMW one down the street and they showed up not too long after. It seemed a bit peculiar because there were so many of them (about 2 younger kids (probably 5-8 year olds and one older teen, plus 3-4 adults) and they all crammed into this minivan. Is it their normal practice to pack up the whole family and all go car shopping together like that? It seemed to me that they were more doing like a family outing and thought it would be fun to go out test driving luxury vehicles but who knows maybe they were genuinely looking for a new vehicle?
Minivans seat 7-8 people. How is having 6 passengers "crammed"?

Old 08-04-2023, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Minivans seat 7-8 people. How is having 6 passengers "crammed"?
Well, figure 3 full sized adults, a teen boy and two kids. Sure they all fit but that's still a lot of people...is there really any breathing room and an enjoyable ride with that many in there? I mean my SUV fits 5 but I doubt it would be comfy and feel spacious if there were 3 full sized adults in the backseat. I guess I was more taken back by the fact that they take that many family members when car shopping. However, like I mentioned, I got the vibe that maybe this was more of a let's joy ride luxury cars as a family outing type thing instead.

Old 08-04-2023, 07:10 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I think you're referring to Indian Americans.
How do you know that all East Indians are American citizens? Many are here on guest visas or they have green cards but haven't become citizens. Some are even here illegally.

The term "East Indian" is used so that they aren't confused with Indigenous native American Indians.

Old 08-04-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
I've often seen East Indians at the local mall. They, for the most part, seem to be in large groups.

Old 08-04-2023, 07:41 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,733,872 times
Quote:
Well, figure 3 full sized adults, a teen boy and two kids. Sure they all fit but that's still a lot of people...is there really any breathing room and an enjoyable ride with that many in there? I mean my SUV fits 5 but I doubt it would be comfy and feel spacious if there were 3 full sized adults in the backseat. I guess I was more taken back by the fact that they take that many family members when car shopping. However, like I mentioned, I got the vibe that maybe this was more of a let's joy ride luxury cars as a family outing type thing instead.
Clearly you've never been in a minivan. Nowadays the second row captains chairs recline with ottomans and 3 adults can easily fit in the third row. It's not like 3 row SUVs where only kids can fit in the back.

Old 08-04-2023, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
Clearly you've never been in a minivan. Nowadays the second row captains chairs recline with ottomans and 3 adults can easily fit in the third row. It's not like 3 row SUVs where only kids can fit in the back.
Nope, I haven't been in one! Not my style.

Old 08-04-2023, 08:06 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
How do you know that all East Indians are American citizens? Many are here on guest visas or they have green cards but haven't become citizens. Some are even here illegally.

The term "East Indian" is used so that they aren't confused with Indigenous native American Indians.
Citizenship doesn't matter. The ethnic group you're talking about is properly referred to as "Indian American". There's only one India, unless you're talking about the East Indies.

Old 08-04-2023, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Citizenship doesn't matter. The ethnic group you're talking about is properly referred to as "Indian American". There's only one India, unless you're talking about the East Indies.
Wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_I...ndian%20people

Yes, citizenship does matter. Again, Indian-Americans refers to East Indians who were born in the US or became naturalized citizens. Period. One can say that about any ethnic group.

I find it very odd that you've never heard of people from India being called East Indians. Once again, saying someone is an "Indian" could also refer to indigenous native Amerinds. Using the term "East Indian" makes it very clear that one is referring to those who are from India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts