Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 11:38 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,143,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Could be a stupid question, but I honestly don't know. Are South Asians known to (or at least stereotyped to) keep large quantities of cash on hand?
Not cash, but gold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 12:31 AM

849 posts, read 554,024 times
Meanwhile in California, approximately 50 home invasion robberies have targeted elderly Asian families.

https://abc7news.com/home-robberies-...bbed/13600750/

Old 08-05-2023, 05:51 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,732,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Not cash, but gold.
Why don't they use a lockbox?

Old 08-05-2023, 08:01 AM

84 posts, read 77,031 times
No one can steal their software development skills!

Old 08-05-2023, 10:16 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_I...ndian%20people

Yes, citizenship does matter. Again, Indian-Americans refers to East Indians who were born in the US or became naturalized citizens. Period. One can say that about any ethnic group.

I find it very odd that you've never heard of people from India being called East Indians. Once again, saying someone is an "Indian" could also refer to indigenous native Amerinds. Using the term "East Indian" makes it very clear that one is referring to those who are from India.
Citizenship is irrelevant. The US census counts these folks in that demographic regardless of status. Even permanent residents of Indian origin consider themselves Indian Americans.

And regardless of what Wikipedia says, I have several connections into this community, and many of them would consider "East Indian" to be ignorant at best, bordering on offensive. So of course I've heard of this reference. Remember when Asians were referred to as "Orientals"?

Old 08-05-2023, 10:59 AM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Remember when Asians were referred to as "Orientals"?
That's offensive now? What about rugs?

Old 08-05-2023, 12:38 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I was gently reprimanded on the use of the term by a close Asian American friend of mine over 30 yrs ago. Don't believe me? Why not go ask someone of Asian descent?

Old 08-05-2023, 01:09 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
For about 2 generations now. It's still okay for rugs.

Old 08-05-2023, 01:58 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Citizenship is irrelevant. The US census counts these folks in that demographic regardless of status. Even permanent residents of Indian origin consider themselves Indian Americans.

And regardless of what Wikipedia says, I have several connections into this community, and many of them would consider "East Indian" to be ignorant at best, bordering on offensive. So of course I've heard of this reference. Remember when Asians were referred to as "Orientals"?
Of course, even illegals are counted in the census. That doesn't mean that illegals are referred to as being "Americans".

So...you hate the term "East Indians" to differentiate Indians from India from indigenous native Amerinds. Do you have a better term for differentiating them? Saying "East Indian" is far better than the whole "dot-feather" thing.

You have "connections" with people from India? Meaning what, exactly? I've known many people from India---some were co-workers, others live in my building or neighbors when we had our house, and others worked as cashiers. The ones who worked as cashiers were so nice that I always chose to go in their line. Never once did any say they were offended by the term "East Indians".

Do you call, for example, illegal alien Irish people "Irish-Americans"? If you do, then that would be quite incorrect---to say the least.

Permanent residents aren't American citizens. Once they get naturalized, then, yes, they are US citizens. Period.

Old 08-05-2023, 02:35 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Quote:
The correct parlance now is " Flying Carpet ' lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts