Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2023, 03:05 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Remember when Asians were referred to as "Orientals"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
That's offensive now? What about rugs?
Quote:
I was gently reprimanded on the use of the term by a close Asian American friend of mine over 30 yrs ago. Don't believe me? Why not go ask someone of Asian descent?
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
For about 2 generations now. It's still okay for rugs.

The Oriental Food Company in Fall River has been around for like 100 years. Never changed their name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 05:58 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
The Oriental Food Company in Fall River has been around for like 100 years. Never changed their name.
Talking about PEOPLE. Not rugs and food

Old 08-05-2023, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Of course, even illegals are counted in the census. That doesn't mean that illegals are referred to as being "Americans".

So...you hate the term "East Indians" to differentiate Indians from India from indigenous native Amerinds. Do you have a better term for differentiating them? Saying "East Indian" is far better than the whole "dot-feather" thing.

You have "connections" with people from India? Meaning what, exactly? I've known many people from India---some were co-workers, others live in my building or neighbors when we had our house, and others worked as cashiers. The ones who worked as cashiers were so nice that I always chose to go in their line. Never once did any say they were offended by the term "East Indians".

Do you call, for example, illegal alien Irish people "Irish-Americans"? If you do, then that would be quite incorrect---to say the least.

Permanent residents aren't American citizens. Once they get naturalized, then, yes, they are US citizens. Period.
Mansplaining to someone who's gone through naturalization? Now I've heard it all

As for the rest of it, have it your way.

Old 08-05-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what your problem is.

Old 08-05-2023, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Not sure what your problem is.
?? I believe you were the one butting in to my response to another poster.

But yeah...I don't care for anachronistic terms that may be offensive to members of certain groups, and don't hesitate to call it out. It's a public forum.

Old 08-05-2023, 07:05 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Mansplaining to someone who's gone through naturalization? Now I've heard it all

As for the rest of it, have it your way.
Ha! I don't do "mansplaining" ever. You can think about that for a while.

Seriously. Anyone who was born on US soil or became a naturalized US citizen can call themselves "Americans".

I noticed you didn't answer this question --- Do you refer to for, example, illegal alien Irish as Irish-Americans? Even though, they clearly are not US citizens

Old 08-05-2023, 07:05 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Isn't it more important that their houses are being robbed than what they are called?

Old 08-05-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:
?? I believe you were the one butting in to my response to another poster.

But yeah...I don't care for anachronistic terms that may be offensive to members of certain groups, and don't hesitate to call it out. It's a public forum.
I asked a question. Your attitude is uncalled for.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Ha! I don't do "mansplaining" ever. You can think about that for a while.
OK, so you're not a man...(none of my business)...it doesn't negate my comment. Speaking as someone who immigrated, and became a citizen the hard way, to be schooled on a public forum about what an American citizen is, is laughable.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:28 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
OK, so you're not a man...(none of my business)...it doesn't negate my comment. Speaking as someone who immigrated, and became a citizen the hard way, to be schooled on a public forum about what an American citizen is, is laughable.
"Became a citizen the hard way?" Meaning what, exactly? Did you do this legally from start to finish? If so, then you applied to come here legally, patiently awaited your turn to move here, then got a green card. Later on, you became a naturalized US citizen.

Yes, it seems you do need to be "schooled" on what an American is. Once again, it's someone born on US soil or someone who was naturalized. Guest workers aren't US citizens. Illegal aliens are not US citizens. Those who have green cards are not US citizens. As one who had a great-aunt who was a green card holder for a long time and learned that when she wanted to visit "the old country" which, at the time, was behind the Iron Curtain and one of the most repressive countries in that bloc, that if she wanted to visit and then return to the US, she would have to become a US citizen first. If she didn't do that, the "old country" would never have let her return to the US.

BTW, American citizens who live overseas and have a child, if at least one bio parent is a US citizen, the baby is also a US citizen.

If I got a visa that allowed me to live in another country, it wouldn't make me a citizen of that country. Got it now? After all, it's not complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts