Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 08:12 PM

2 posts, read 6,484 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any suggestions on safe areas to rent a house around Salem, MA? We were thinking of somewhere in the middle of Metro west area and Salem (but we are open to other areas too), with max commute of 30 minutes to Salem.

We have a 2 yr old and want to be around neighborhoods that have young family communities and not just students or retired folks.

Also, we would like to have a garage- as we are spoiled with 2 car garage here in CA. Seems like no (or close to none) houses have garages in MA. It will probably be great to have a garage in those harsh winters there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 05:05 PM

195 posts, read 648,425 times
You are so stupid if you move from the beautiful California to the ugly, cold Massachusetts....

Old 06-03-2008, 05:09 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,018,408 times
Massachusetts is beautiful actually, I find New Jersey less so, especially Northern NJ.

For the OP- actually many homes and condo's in New England and Massachusetts do in fact have garages.
Are you working in Salem? I would consider Andover, North Andover. Also nearby Peabody.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:23 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Don't forget Danvers -- I think that would be close enough, not sure.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,554 times
It isn't so much which town near Salem - it's which part of town. Avoid Lynn. Salem, Beverly, Danvers and Peabody are all nice, but you will find that for most of Salem it's the old saw about "you can't get there from here". From Beverly, the Beverly/Salem bridge is miserable in summer. From Danvers, it's traffic every step of the way. Parts of Peabody would be ok - but why not just find something in Salem? Plenty of families there.

Hamilton, Wenham, Beverly Farms, and Essex are all within about a 30 minute commute and are lovely communities if you can afford them.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:25 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Nice... real nice... Please don't judge Massachusetts by posts like that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthNJ View Post
You are so stupid if you move from the beautiful California to the ugly, cold Massachusetts....
I think there are quite a few people on the Mass board and also the NH board who have moved from "beautiful" California to "ugly, cold" Mass/NH. Of course California is beautiful, but sure not for everybody...

Salem is nice, but it can get *really* congested, and can be difficult to get in and out of, at least that's been my experience.

Many houses, both old and new, will have garages, the exception being houses on small city lots. It's a good idea to rent to be sure you're in the right area for your family. Cities are not the "planned communities" that you may be used to in Cal, so it may be tough to acclimate yourself to a different lifestyle. Best of luck with your decision--Massachusetts has an awful lot to offer

Old 06-04-2008, 11:00 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,199,376 times
Guess I'm stupid because I moved from SoCal last year and love it here. Many apartment homes offer garages for a monthly fee but it won't be two car. The older the home the smaller the garage if any. You'll have to get use to very small closets too. That's what I miss about California,closets,hehe.

What about Reading,Swampscott or Marblehead??

Old 06-04-2008, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,133 times
Default Re: Salem

I'm not all that familiar with Salem...it's been a few years since I was up that way. But I can tell you that it's nowhere near the center of MetroWest if you are trying to locate towards the middle of the technology belt. It's actually above what would be considered north shore, north of Marblehead, which is at the very end of rte 128. But Salem is very nice.

If you want to keep the commute to 30 minutes you really aren't talking much distance from Salem. The traffic in Mass is pretty bad. You are probably limited to staying within the Beverly-Salem-Marblehead area....nice location, however.

I moved from CA to mass myself last year. Other than a nasty winter it has been great. Decided to build a house and just moved into it.

Good luck!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,484 times
Thanks a bunch everyone for the informative replies!

First of all: No, I am not stupid to be moving to MA from CA. It's lot more complicated than I can explain here - as it involves my husband's medical career and we want to experience living in New England for a year or so.

Secondly: Our plan intially was to move somewhere in-between MetroWest and NorthShore, so I could find a job in a software company. But, now we have to reconsider it as everyone mentions that traffic is just terrible there.

Also, are there any good websites with rental home listings, other than craigslist - boston and boston.com? Or any good rental communties in NorthShore, NorthWest, or MetroWest? Please help!

How is the commute from Burlington or Wakefield to Salem between 7-8 AM?

Old 06-06-2008, 04:53 AM

630 posts, read 2,226,344 times
There are a couple of great complexes in Bedford, MA. Heritage at Bedford Springs and Avalon at Bedford Center and then Avalon at Lexington Hills in Lexington. The first one I mentioned is on the border of Burlington and Bedford. I really like it, or course I currently reside there. I also moved from CA to MA in Oct '07'.

Best Wishes to you on your relocation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts