Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 11:47 AM

3,605 posts, read 1,831,257 times

Advertisements

https://www.wcvb.com/article/vehicle...mplex/46259392
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2024, 12:06 PM

17,708 posts, read 9,175,662 times
Perhaps. But what about Easton?

Old 01-01-2024, 01:05 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,831,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
It seems like there are more violent crimes and drug related incidents that make the news in Weymouth vs Easton. No?

Old 01-01-2024, 05:31 PM

17,708 posts, read 9,175,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
It seems like there are more violent crimes and drug related incidents that make the news in Weymouth vs Easton. No?
It was a running joke on here...based on this old thread.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:21 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times
Is it a pattern? Only asking because during one summer in the early nineties, there were random shootings in Bellingham and Blackstone, MA, and North Smithfield, RI. One random idiot went on a shooting spree one night and terrorized people who woke up with broken windows and a stray bullet on their bedroom. Guess what? Fast forward thirty years, and these are all viable safe communities.

Old 01-02-2024, 05:29 AM

5,100 posts, read 2,661,482 times
No, but it's never been "on tracK" to be the next Marshfield either.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:43 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,187,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
No, but it's never been "on tracK" to be the next Marshfield either.
This went over my head....but does the capital K in "on track" refer to hard drugs?

It seems from what I've known for many years that Weymouth or parts of have a drug problem. But I read just a few years ago that even desirable Scituate nearby does as well? And likely many other "decent" places that try to keep it hush, hush? So Weymouth isn't unique then.

I realize that Weymouth gets a bit of a bad rap by some or many who don't live there...maybe even from some who live there. Was it more stable 20-50 years ago? When did any slide start?

Hmmm...I drove around last year doing some UberEATS orders in Weymouth, and I actually like it. And had before that during my occasional drives in parts of it.

It seems to have a bit more breathing room than here in Quincy, but I could be wrong. Sure, it's not desirable Hingham but not many could afford it -- or be welcome there, right?

But yes, some apartment complexes can be trouble spots: Too many undesirables moving in and out, potentially too many "visitors" at all hours of the night...in some complexes in certain towns. Heck, I would not want to live next to one if I owned a house. Snobby? Yes. But I live in crappy housing, and police are called occasionally over the years by neighbors across the street, as too many undesirables have lived here over the years. Wasn't like that when I first moved in years ago. I stay because Quincy is convenient, rather safe, improving, and my rent is somewhat affordable still; so I keep to myself and don't associate much with my neighbors. I feel bad that homeowners in this scrappy Quincy neighborhood have to put up with my building, but they knew there's a not-so-fancy apartment complex next door when they bought.

But I did mention last year in another thread that the Whole Foods Market in Weymouth definitely has a more downscale feel than others I've been in, whether Cambridge, Boston or Hingham which are usually filled mostly with professionals and students. I don't look upscale, at all, so I'm not dissing them, just observing. The WFM in Weymouth was a former basic Foodmaster.

But, there's something I like about Weymouth, or much of it, when I drive through, even at night. I don't fit in in the fancy communities. Weymouth still seems like a good compromise for some? I've not felt unsafe when driving around or in parking lots there. But not sure how the schools are vs. nearby Quincy, Braintree, Abington, etc.

Is it mainly Caucasians still with some low income, maybe housing projects? Heck, even Brookline has a few housing projects (but they seem stable)?
So anybody else here actually like Weymouth to some extent?

Old 01-05-2024, 09:01 AM

355 posts, read 138,583 times
I don't outright dislike Weymouth. It's not a town I'd actively choose to live in if I had options, but it certainly wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I had to. I'm a general fan of the coast and have much more familiarity with the south shore than north shore, so there's a comfort level that I tend to like.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:04 AM

16,344 posts, read 8,162,213 times
There ARE nice parts of Weymouth...but the bad parts seem to get the attention. I think people here seem to think that anyone who comes from weymouth is some low life scumbag but that's not the case...

and yes scituate has it's fair share of drugs and loads of OUIs.

This forum only seems to think the W towns or the extremely high priced towns are worth living in...

Old 01-05-2024, 09:16 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,810,469 times
I grew up there a long time ago. At the time things were more affordable. Hingham used to have the Building 19, Osco Drug and Bradlees. Now it's Whole foods and the apple store. Whole foods used to be a Purity Supreme and of course there was paperrama .

The problem with Weymouth frankly as I know people that work in the town and some that still live there...is that the military base development wasn't really done well. Southfield took SIXTEEN YEARS to get it's act together and now it's Union Point.

https://www.southfieldra.com/uploads...e_12-14-23.pdf

They just made another change to it last month. The completion date is now 2040..45 years after the base closed. See page 11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts