Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 05:03 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
This went over my head....but does the capital K in "on track" refer to hard drugs?

It seems from what I've known for many years that Weymouth or parts of have a drug problem. But I read just a few years ago that even desirable Scituate nearby does as well? And likely many other "decent" places that try to keep it hush, hush? So Weymouth isn't unique then.

I realize that Weymouth gets a bit of a bad rap by some or many who don't live there...maybe even from some who live there. Was it more stable 20-50 years ago? When did any slide start?

Hmmm...I drove around last year doing some UberEATS orders in Weymouth, and I actually like it. And had before that during my occasional drives in parts of it.

It seems to have a bit more breathing room than here in Quincy, but I could be wrong. Sure, it's not desirable Hingham but not many could afford it -- or be welcome there, right?

But yes, some apartment complexes can be trouble spots: Too many undesirables moving in and out, potentially too many "visitors" at all hours of the night...in some complexes in certain towns. Heck, I would not want to live next to one if I owned a house. Snobby? Yes. But I live in crappy housing, and police are called occasionally over the years by neighbors across the street, as too many undesirables have lived here over the years. Wasn't like that when I first moved in years ago. I stay because Quincy is convenient, rather safe, improving, and my rent is somewhat affordable still; so I keep to myself and don't associate much with my neighbors. I feel bad that homeowners in this scrappy Quincy neighborhood have to put up with my building, but they knew there's a not-so-fancy apartment complex next door when they bought.

But I did mention last year in another thread that the Whole Foods Market in Weymouth definitely has a more downscale feel than others I've been in, whether Cambridge, Boston or Hingham which are usually filled mostly with professionals and students. I don't look upscale, at all, so I'm not dissing them, just observing. The WFM in Weymouth was a former basic Foodmaster.

But, there's something I like about Weymouth, or much of it, when I drive through, even at night. I don't fit in in the fancy communities. Weymouth still seems like a good compromise for some? I've not felt unsafe when driving around or in parking lots there. But not sure how the schools are vs. nearby Quincy, Braintree, Abington, etc.

Is it mainly Caucasians still with some low income, maybe housing projects? Heck, even Brookline has a few housing projects (but they seem stable)?
So anybody else here actually like Weymouth to some extent?
According to Niche. for what it's worth, Milton public schools are rated A, Quincy public schools are rated A-, Braintree is a B+, Abington is a B , and Weymouth is a B-...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 09:09 PM

17,680 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Murder in Weymouth.

Weymouth woman found dead in her home in apparent homicide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09X1Lfeqn64

Old 04-03-2024, 06:04 AM

16,319 posts, read 8,150,917 times
I saw that...she doesn't seem like the typical person to be murdered so that is really scary and disturbing. I've read that she had a female roommate and that a man recently moved in...apparently her next door neighbor hadn't seen her since Feb

Old 04-03-2024, 06:32 AM

17,680 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I saw that...she doesn't seem like the typical person to be murdered so that is really scary and disturbing. I've read that she had a female roommate and that a man recently moved in...apparently her next door neighbor hadn't seen her since Feb
In the video they said neighbors haven't seen the female roommate for several weeks.

Old 04-03-2024, 07:58 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Location of the homicide.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2131...6656?entry=ttu

Old 04-04-2024, 09:48 AM

254 posts, read 257,161 times
I like Weymouth. Like others have said, there are some really nice parts of it. The coastal areas are a bargain compared to the crow point section of Hingham and you have easy access to the commuter ferry. There are some problem areas and some pretty unattractive places like the 3a corridor, but by-in-large it is a nice place. I grew up in booming area of the south where everything is brand new and frankly a little soulless at times. Weymouth has tons of character at least

Old 04-04-2024, 10:05 AM

Weymouth has it's fair share of issues...but I don't think it's on track to be the next Brockton.

Old 04-04-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Weymouth has it's fair share of issues...but I don't think it's on track to be the next Brockton.

I lump Weymouth in there with Abington and Rockland. Not "bad" but not all that "great" either. I guess good thing the area still has a few middling places like that, that haven't become either all out elite or deteriorated to ghetto status.

Old 04-04-2024, 10:17 AM

yeah like others have said, it does have some nice parts...but it's the bad that people seem to focus on. Sadly the bad parts drag down the good, particularly in the school system. I guess it reminds me of quincy a bit

Old 04-04-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
yeah like others have said, it does have some nice parts...but it's the bad that people seem to focus on. Sadly the bad parts drag down the good, particularly in the school system. I guess it reminds me of quincy a bit

Are there really "bad" parts of Weymouth though??? I see at as mostly pretty normal areas with some trashy Section 8 apartments thrown in here and there. Quincy kind of the same thing. But as for whole neighborhoods being no go like in Brockton, not aware of any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts