Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 08:09 PM

190 posts, read 202,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Jimmys Harborside Restaurant. My grandmother would always take us out to dinner there when she was in town.

Elsie's, Zum Zum and that all night hot dog place Tastee's in Harvard Square.

Genji Restaurant on Newbury St.

Warburton's... I loved their Cornish Pasties.

The work crew at Elsie's were amazing, no written pads, just orders barked out. The rolls were twisty and very very good. I liked Warbuton's square zucchini muffins. And can't forget a few doors was Buddy's Pit, you could see the cooks and smell the greasy burgers from the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 05:55 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Not sure if it's still there, but when I lived on the MA/RI border about ten years ago there was one in the Greenfield area of Smithfield, RI. If it's still there the root beer alone is worth the drive!
There seems to be a lot of A&W fans on this site. So I just want to add that last summer I was on the Cape and found another old school A&W restaurant that still makes its own root beer and sells it in plastic milk jugs. IIRC it was in Harwich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slande View Post
Does anyone remember the name of a wonderful French cafe that was on Newbury St in Boston in the late 70s and likely beyond? We were at La Voile on Friday and no one knew of it, so I assume it closed many years ago.
When I was freshman in high school (about 25 years ago) for French class we took a field trip to Du Barry on Newbury Street. Is that the restaurant you're thinking of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
York Steak House and Dog n Suds are still around, the Ohio area.

York Steak House has a "no tipping" allowed policy. Such a good policy. You can eat without being pestered by artificial-friendly waitresses.

https://s3-media3.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...T1byhfqw/o.jpg
Dog n Suds: ... We're Revivin' The Drive In
My wife's grandfather and his brother actually started York. They eventually sold the chain to General Mills which ran it into the ground. As you mention, there's still one location left outside of Columbus, OH. I believe the owner has some sort of licensing deal with GM to use the name. If you look at their Facebook page there was a recent photo of my wife's great uncle Eddie visiting there on his birthday. He and a lot of his part of the family live in the Columbus area.

Old 06-05-2017, 06:01 AM

38 posts, read 51,142 times
"take rt 28 to the clam bar sign..."

Old 06-07-2017, 05:03 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,718,761 times
White's Corner in Southborough, MA, on Route 9, just South of the St. Mark's golf course.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:51 AM

8,499 posts, read 4,554,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Not sure if it's still there, but when I lived on the MA/RI border about ten years ago there was one in the Greenfield area of Smithfield, RI. If it's still there the root beer alone is worth the drive!

That A&W is still there in Greenville (Town of Smithfield) on Rte 44 just west of Rte 295. There is now also a Sonic on that same road. The area is likely much more built up then you remember from ten years ago as there is now a very large retail center (The Crossing at Smithfield) at the rtes 44 and 295 juncture.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:56 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
That A&W is still there in Greenville (Town of Smithfield) on Rte 44 just west of Rte 295. There is now also a Sonic on that same road. The area is likely much more built up then you remember from ten years ago as there is now a very large retail center (The Crossing at Smithfield) at the rtes 44 and 295 juncture.
I'm sure it's totally different, but I'm glad to hear the A&W has survived the changes. I took my kids to Roger Williams Park/Zoo the other week and I was tempted to take a detour through Greenville for some root beer.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:50 PM

126 posts, read 123,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
I can barely remember it but my Dad loved it - Joe & Nemo's (if I have the name correct). I think it specialized in hot dogs and had several locations in Boston.
God, i loved Joe & Nemo's. Used to work in town in the summer and get 4 dogs for a buck for lunch............. Also, the old Clam Box on 1A in Revere. No relation to the now famous Clam Box in Ipswich but the one in Revere was awesome.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:32 AM

578 posts, read 568,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
The Aku-Aku, Cambridge -- Before the second Aku Aku gained famed at Alewife Station, there was the original one on Route 2, near the former legendary and slightly unctious Faces Nightclub. It was so dark in here, we frequently bumped into the walls. The dining room was full of colored lights and phony rivers. The pu pu platters were about the best we've ever had, and the service was somewhat friendlier than at the Alewife Station location. My Dad's friend once ordered a "number one" special at lunch. My Dad said, "Me, too," and got the number two special! It's too bad the Aku Aku left this location. It seems like the building has been vacant dating back to the Sheng Dynasty -- perhaps they could consider reopening a new Aku Aku with all the old school bells and whistles here?
There was an Aku-Aku in Worcester for a while, the 99 Pub is there now. It was not as themed as the one described above but they did have this huge volcano mural in the back I remember. Problem was the food itself was pretty bad at a time when there was better to be found in Worcester.

Personally I miss the old Chinese/Polynesian restaurants. I get the drive to more authenticity, but there is something I miss about them. I really miss the old 12/20 in Auburn. The Honolulu in Westboro was decent, too. Surprisingly the Ho Toy in Worcester is still there.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:28 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
Surprisingly the Ho Toy in Worcester is still there.
DISGUSTING. Don't ask how I happened upon that place once...

Old 06-09-2017, 11:46 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,639,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slande View Post
Does anyone remember the name of a wonderful French cafe that was on Newbury St in Boston in the late 70s and likely beyond? We were at La Voile on Friday and no one knew of it, so I assume it closed many years ago.
Could it be the one that was close to the Boston Common?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts