Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:21 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times

Advertisements

This pretty much says it all:

northern maine - Bing Images
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 03:50 PM

12,824 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
This pretty much says it all:

northern maine - Bing Images
I know that's tongue in cheek, but that has to do with how remote it is in that part of the state more than anything else.

I ripped on RI a bit, but Maine was far and away my least favorite state to drive in (I lived there for close to 5 years). Despite the fact that the speed limit is 75 on a remote stretch highway, Maine drivers are notoriously slow (well below the speed limit slow). On the few highways that exist in the state, left lane sitting at 5-10mph below the speed limit is the norm. Rhode Islanders may pull out in front of you on a whim, but Mainers do it far more often. They're oblivious. It's perfectly normal to see someone going 35 in a 55 with a line of traffic behind them stretching for 1/2 a mile and they have no clue. That same person will continue at 35mph as the speed limit drops down to 25 through a village, and keep it at 35 when the speed limit increases to 55 again. Right turn? "Who needs the shoulder? We'll just stop in the middle of the lane of traffic to make our turn." The complaints about people sitting at a light when it goes green? That happened all the time in Maine. We (my Mainer girlfriend and I) used to joke about how Mainers have to "let the light warm up before they go." I don't get road rage very often, but I found myself cursing to the air about the drivers in Maine more than I have in any other state. Give Maine credit for many things, but being great drivers isn't one of them.

Just so nobody thinks I'm complete homer, I don't think Massachusetts has the best drivers (in spite of the fact that many rankings put us near the top). I think New Yorkers (especially NYC) blend speed and aggressiveness with courtesy perfectly. Alternate merges aren't a problem in NYC and for such a crowded city, pedestrians and cars seem to coexist much more peacefully. Sure, if you hesitate at a light, you're going to get passed or lose your spot. If you're not paying attention or you don't know where you're going, that's on you. No reason to expect a city to halt because you're not sure if you need this exit or the next one. I also find that Virginians and Maryland drivers are better overall than Massachusetts drivers for similar reasons to New York.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:38 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I ripped on RI a bit, but Maine was far and away my least favorite state to drive in (I lived there for close to 5 years). Despite the fact that the speed limit is 75 on a remote stretch highway, Maine drivers are notoriously slow (well below the speed limit slow). On the few highways that exist in the state, left lane sitting at 5-10mph below the speed limit is the norm. Rhode Islanders may pull out in front of you on a whim, but Mainers do it far more often. They're oblivious. It's perfectly normal to see someone going 35 in a 55 with a line of traffic behind them stretching for 1/2 a mile and they have no clue. That same person will continue at 35mph as the speed limit drops down to 25 through a village, and keep it at 35 when the speed limit increases to 55 again. Right turn? "Who needs the shoulder? We'll just stop in the middle of the lane of traffic to make our turn." The complaints about people sitting at a light when it goes green? That happened all the time in Maine. We (my Mainer girlfriend and I) used to joke about how Mainers have to "let the light warm up before they go." I don't get road rage very often, but I found myself cursing to the air about the drivers in Maine more than I have in any other state. Give Maine credit for many things, but being great drivers isn't one of them.
You just described my new area of Central Mass. to a T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't think Massachusetts has the best drivers (in spite of the fact that many rankings put us near the top).
I certainly haven't seen any rankings suggesting that? We do have the lowest fatality rate, but that is explained by nothing else than congestion and low speeds.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:30 PM

12,824 posts, read 21,993,461 times
I've seen a few "safest" driver rankings with MA near the top. Probably for the reason you mentioned.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:57 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,798,306 times
I doubt congestion and slow speeds are the main reasons Massachusetts has a lower fatality rate than most states in this country. There are states that have more congestion and higher fatality rates.

From my experience Texas, Connecticut, New York, Florida and California have worse drivers than Massachusetts.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:08 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
I doubt congestion and slow speeds are the main reasons Massachusetts has a lower fatality rate than most states in this country. There are states that have more congestion and higher fatality rates.

From my experience Texas, Connecticut, New York, Florida and California have worse drivers than Massachusetts.
Agree with CT and FL being worse than MA. NY I haven't spent enough time there to draw a full conclusion, but I have seen some crazy stuff when driving through there. From what I have seen in CA, the drivers seem much better than MA (at least in LA, OC, and SD). TX I've never been, so I'll give you the benefit of doubt.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:41 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
From what I have seen in CA, the drivers seem much better than MA (at least in LA, OC, and SD).
Until it rains

At least in the central valley, nothing makes California drivers morons more than rain. Except maybe tule fog. Highway 99 Back Open After Massive Pileup 11/03/07 | abc30.com (108 car and 18 semi pile up)

Old 05-01-2014, 03:09 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,259,873 times
Didn't read the whole thread, but my biggest issue on the road (at least in the burbs) is how selfish people are on the road when they're protected by their big metal cage.

Every day I see people jump out of a congested lane that they know they need to be in, pass a couple cars, and then at the last minute just jam themselves in right before they need to turn. This causes a chain of braking in the already congested lane, causing even more traffic. God forbid you don't slam on your brakes to let them in, you'll get the finger or even a brake-check because obviously it's all your fault.

If people just stayed in the lane they're supposed to be in, and not worry about cutting 0.00005 seconds off of their commute time, traffic would flow much easier. For whatever reason, people have this sick mentality that they need to be first, and are more important than everyone else. I blame social media

Old 05-01-2014, 03:22 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,732,860 times
Just wish people could be a little less aggressive. Drivers are so much better in the 3 northern New England states in general.

Last edited by Brave Stranger; 05-01-2014 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: wrong thread sorry:)

Old 05-01-2014, 03:34 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,512,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H. View Post
It's obvious to state that Massachusetts drivers are capable of displaying sheer craziness on the road. In other parts of the country, this type of driving would be considered insane!

My pet peeve when it comes to Massachusetts drivers is when they pass on the right on a one-lane road (see photo below)! What's yours?
I don't want to see accidents and injuries, of course! That said, does MA have a greater percentage of the latter and former than in other states?

I got my driver's license in MA and drove there for 25 years and I liked the Massachusetts driver, in general. I mean, one day I drove down a one way street the wrong way in my part of Dorchester because it is rarely used and no one was there LOL!! I guess no one but me thought this was funny, here in this forum but I actually did it. In NY you'd get creamed if you did that. Not in Boston when I lived there.

I love that Massachusetts drivers were not big honkers like here in NY. In NY they are so aggressive and nasty!

(I don't speed and obey all stop signs and lights and am very courteous and let people cross or wait for someone to cross, and I am almost on the slow side as a driver. If it is 65, I am going to go 60 to 65, not usually 70 unless the road is open. I don't drive up close to another person and use my turn signals always. Etc. But I have a sense of humor and am relaxed about the others on the road. No road rage for me! Not my style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts