Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:11 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,041 times

Advertisements

New Hampshire? You mean that stupid bunch of a-holes who put up a tollbooth so that the people of Maine and Mass could pay for their livin' free or dyin'.
Most of the time that I am raped by the Hampton Tollbooth, I am trying to get to Maine. Not only does it cost me $1.50 each way but it costs me 15 to 30 minutes of my life each way by the traffic jams it causes. Making us pay for using 15 miles of road? Un-freakin believable!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 08:35 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
What is the big dislike between NH and Mass people. They seem to hate each other.
Many people have relocated from MA to southern NH looking for less expensive houses, lower taxes, and less left leaning politics. This has shifted the political balance or culture in some NH towns and driven up property values and housing costs. In some cases, folks who have lived for generations in NH have been at odds with the newcomers. I wouldn't say that NH and MA residents "hate each other".

My house was 8 miles from the state line and I went to NH hundreds of times while I lived in MA, and I can't say I ever felt that I was hated because I lived in MA.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:15 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,246,631 times
Stereotypes become stereotypes because there is some truth behind them. People from NH and Maine have valid reasons to cast a vast generalization towards Mass people. Acting like a jerk around Boston may be considered normal and okay, but to those who live in NH and Maine, which for the most part still has that quaint New England feel to it finds that stereotypical behavior rude, uncalled for and downright unpleasant. If it upsets you that others in New England call you a ma$$hole, well suck it up and deal with it. If you haven't noticed, Bostonians do not have the reputation for being nice people.

I was waiting to be seated for brunch not to long ago and a couple of dudes from Mass came in. The place was full and there where a couple of other people waiting to be seated ahead of them. Not only were they talking in a loud voice to each other about how much money that they were making, they also -in that same loud voice- had to make it known that they were not to happy to have to wait. They repeatedly asked the host and servers what the hold up was, even though they only waited for maybe a grand total of five minutes before they were seated. Oh, and they parked in a bus stop, too. While every person from Mass does not display this sort of behavior, a good amount do. They come here with their high and mighty I-am-more-important-then-you-backwoods-hicks attitudes and then wonder why no one digs them. I wanted to choke these dudes out and I am not even from New England.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:50 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,175,427 times
While the stereotypes might have some basis in reality, the truth is that the vast majority of people do not fit the stereotype. It's only when someone's acting loud or rude and *then* you find out that they're from Massachusetts that you think to yourself, "Oh, what a typical M***hole." It only gives people an extra excuse to feel animosity towards strangers. Yet they neglect to realize how many people from Massachusetts they encounter every day who do not fit the stereotype, or how many people from New Hampshire are plain jerks too.

Sure, people from Boston might be louder and crazier drivers overall than people in New Hampshire, but making sweeping generalizations just results in unfair prejudice. I think a lot of New Hampshirites don't realize how many people in NH were actually born in MA and now pass for natives. We're all New Englanders - we're not *that* different.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:49 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,670,689 times
Growing up in Maine I heard a lot of negative things from my mother about those from Mass. She had co-workers who came here (Portland) from Mass to live, but complained loudly about how things were and projected the idea that we were all backwoods hicks. The ironic thing was that the loudest complainer of the bunch was from, of all places, Springfield!!!

The bottom line is this: when you move to another area, it's just rude to complain about what is wrong with it, or how much is lacking, etc, at least in earshot of those who are from the area. Do your homework prior to moving, enjoy the area you chose to move to, and complain in private if you must. It's not just Mass people who do this, of course. And obviously it's not all Mass people, either.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:28 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,776,340 times
Wow dude, you are one angry person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spktrader View Post
Typically it’s because m*******s bring a certain arrogance with their ignorance in to our fine state. Look around you, that guy backing up on the highway for the exit he missed, Check the plate… Massachusetts. You have a person throwing his cigarette butt out the window. Massachusetts. A guy gives you the finger after he cuts you off? Massachusetts. A wrong way drunk driver kills your kid? Massachusetts. When you learn the guy has 25 prior convictions for DUI and does no time, Massachusetts. Guy kills a Manchester, NH cop, yup from Massachusetts. The idiots who vote for every tax increase until they are driven from their own state…where they from? Yup Massachusetts. The state that not only loves pedophiles but elects them to congress (see Gary Studds). Your catching on Massachusetts. That person allowing his dog to **** on your lawn, sees you looking and says “F U” that’s right they are transplants from Massachusetts. That person offended by you flying an American flag in your own yard. Massachusetts. A person who wants a sex change operation and wants you to pay for it… Massachusetts. The state that allowed Mohamed Atta to get on a flight and fly it in to the World Trade Center…Massachusetts. The state where Bin Ladens relatives lived before 9/11? Massachusetts. The state where people pronounce words like: “Over hear’a! Over “they’er” Come here’a” “Go wred sox”. A state that spends 15 billion dollars on a tunnel that collapses and kills a women. Yup Massachusetts. Ect…

Old 08-14-2008, 09:18 AM

9 posts, read 22,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spktrader View Post
Typically it’s because m*******s bring a certain arrogance with their ignorance in to our fine state. Look around you, that guy backing up on the highway for the exit he missed, Check the plate… Massachusetts. You have a person throwing his cigarette butt out the window. Massachusetts. A guy gives you the finger after he cuts you off? Massachusetts. A wrong way drunk driver kills your kid? Massachusetts. When you learn the guy has 25 prior convictions for DUI and does no time, Massachusetts. Guy kills a Manchester, NH cop, yup from Massachusetts. The idiots who vote for every tax increase until they are driven from their own state…where they from? Yup Massachusetts. The state that not only loves pedophiles but elects them to congress (see Gary Studds). Your catching on Massachusetts. That person allowing his dog to **** on your lawn, sees you looking and says “F U” that’s right they are transplants from Massachusetts. That person offended by you flying an American flag in your own yard. Massachusetts. A person who wants a sex change operation and wants you to pay for it… Massachusetts. The state that allowed Mohamed Atta to get on a flight and fly it in to the World Trade Center…Massachusetts. The state where Bin Ladens relatives lived before 9/11? Massachusetts. The state where people pronounce words like: “Over hear’a! Over “they’er” Come here’a” “Go wred sox”. A state that spends 15 billion dollars on a tunnel that collapses and kills a women. Yup Massachusetts. Ect…
You talk like it's the only state that does things like that. & you're points are very bad at that. Throwing cigarettes out windows, I've seen it everwhere. Backing up on the highway? I've seen it everywhere. Most of this stuff could happen anywhere. Esp. the World Trade Center thing, maybe, or do, stay away from that. Are you going to blame New York for having the World Trade Centers? I don't think so, so watch what you say. As for the accent, What about Wicsonsin, Texas, Viginia accents? I don't hear you badmouthing any of them. Unfortunatly, Mass is more successful then any other state in New England (maybe New York).

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-14-2008 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: no personal attacks allowed

Old 08-14-2008, 12:00 PM

104 posts, read 260,176 times
Default Oh really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Having lived in MA and NH, I disagree. They are very different in terms of politics and culture. Check the track records of each state in terms of electing local, state, and national polititicians. NH is the only New England state that grew (population) in the 90's and the only one predicted to grow this decade. The economy of NH is healthier than that of MA and the other New England states.

Healthier in terms of what?
Your FY2009 budget shortfall is predicted to be 200 million, or 6.4% of general funds. While Massachusetts has a 1.2 billion, or 4.2% of general funds. (29 States Faced Total Budget Shortfall of at Least $48 Billion in 2009) Your per cent change in gross state product is said to have declined by .1% for the 2006-2007 year while MA's grew 2.5% (BEA News Release (GDP by State))

You may have a lower unemployment rate, but MA's is still below the national average, you have a lower poverty rate, but you sure have a lot less households.

So where is the real difference that makes your economy healthier than Mass's?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:03 PM

104 posts, read 260,176 times
Default I second that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackroseimmortal View Post
Unfortunatly, Mass is more successful then any other state in New England (maybe New York).

I have to agree. This tiny state has really been a major force in this country's entire history and still continues to be a MAJOR player.

When Mass talks America listens..... even if they dont agree with what we say or like our accent!

But we've never cared about either of those things anyway.

Old 08-14-2008, 08:07 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,919,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackroseimmortal View Post
Unfortunatly, Mass is more successful then any other state in New England (maybe New York).
aw jeez you didn't seriously just say New York is part of New England??

I am cringing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts