Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 AM

660 posts, read 1,540,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Maybe people out from Worcester east are rude so you guys all say, but in western MA, Northampton and the surrounding towns, people are pretty nice at my end of the state. Boston is a whole different country compared to WMA. You want rude and obnoxious, come here to Floriduh... Can't wait to go home to WMA....
BINGO!!!! While many Bostonians just LOVE to make this argument over whether Boston is rude or not, into a flamewar between the New England area and the rest of the country, the fact remains. BOSTON is the problem, not Massachusetts. I will be moving to Western Massachusetts as soon as I can, for two reasons. One, being that I can NOT WAIT until I get out of this rude part of the state, and two, I lived in the Berkshires for three years and it was paradise compared the eastern part of Mass. People are just much nicer in general (none of this "it just takes time to get to know us" crap) in the eastern part of Mass, and unfortunately, it only takes a half a state to make things bad for the whole

Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times
My wife and her family are from Stoughton, MA. they say people are definitely easier going, more relaxed, laid back, and friendlier in western MA as opposed to where they are from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansdaddy052606 View Post
BINGO!!!! While many Bostonians just LOVE to make this argument over whether Boston is rude or not, into a flamewar between the New England area and the rest of the country, the fact remains. BOSTON is the problem, not Massachusetts. I will be moving to Western Massachusetts as soon as I can, for two reasons. One, being that I can NOT WAIT until I get out of this rude part of the state, and two, I lived in the Berkshires for three years and it was paradise compared the eastern part of Mass. People are just much nicer in general (none of this "it just takes time to get to know us" crap) in the eastern part of Mass, and unfortunately, it only takes a half a state to make things bad for the whole

Old 10-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Isn't Florida really "the deep south of the New England"?

No way.... Florida is a mixture of the midwest, NY, NJ, and New Englanders, but I see a lot more NY'ers here. Can't even consider FL as a southern state, everyone here is from somewhere else.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:57 PM

335 posts, read 938,951 times
Quote:
Isn't Florida really "the deep south of the New England"?

LOL no way. Many more people here from the Midwest and NY, unfortunately.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:10 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,126 times
Well i would not say that people from western mass are that much different than eastern mass people. I know people who have moved here from different parts of the country and they also complain about the way some people are closed off and reserved,and comment on how it takes years to actually get to really know people.The Berkshires might be different but i really have not spent to much time out there.
I think this whole thing is just a New England thing , and people just need to accept the fact that the people here are just the way we are.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
Well i would not say that people from western mass are that much different than eastern mass people. I know people who have moved here from different parts of the country and they also complain about the way some people are closed off and reserved,and comment on how it takes years to actually get to really know people.The Berkshires might be different but i really have not spent to much time out there.
I think this whole thing is just a New England thing , and people just need to accept the fact that the people here are just the way we are.
True....

Go read my post in the "Stereotypes" thread.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:59 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
But the people who take time out of their day to come onto an internet forum and essentially trash an entire half of a state aren't rude at all. "I'm not the problem, it's everyone else!"... gotta love that attitude!

Old 10-08-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
But the people who take time out of their day to come onto an internet forum and essentially trash an entire half of a state aren't rude at all. "I'm not the problem, it's everyone else!"... gotta love that attitude!
Hey you didn't direct it towards me, right? I didn't trash the eastern side. I love my whole state and the other 5 attached to it...LOL.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:59 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Every state has rude people. Its not just Mass or a state people love to bash Florida. Of course many in Fla are originally from Mass. Its in every state and I do think some regions of the country are more prone to it, but its not every single resident.

Rudeness also takes many forms, it is not only when we receive poor service, or cutting in front of someone in a line. It can be people that ignore another for no reason. It can also be someone that is overly curious about others private lives. As far as Mass is concerned it is a very densely populated area with thousands of commuters. People pouring in every day not just from Mass but RI, NH, Ct. It is a commuter state and people hurry from here to there. Some of this hurry could be considered rudeness but I think its more along the lines of rush rush. I do think the drivers though are terrible whether its rude or bad drivers its terrible. When one gets into the many small towns, people have known their neighbors for years. Try finding that in much of the USA in this day and age. There are more polite people than there are rude ones in Mass, and many are very open to speak to someone or help someone out if needed. Unless the state has drastically changed, I just do not remember the state being populated by all these rude cold reseved snobs.

I don't know where people get this Mass residents are standoffish and not friendly. I grew up there Im not like that and knew few people that would fit that description. Most will start a conversation or look to keep one going with people. The majority of people are hard working and many work two jobs to support their families due to the high cost of living. Where I live now Portland, Oregon, most people never start a conversation, and give no body language they want to be bothered. Its put the head phones on, bury ones face in a book, and just ignore small talk. Its not everyone but it sure is alot of them. A very reseved city of hipsters and environmentalist. So I don't get why anyone thinks all people from Mass are rude cold reserved snobs. Im sorry I don't get it.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:52 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Hey you didn't direct it towards me, right? I didn't trash the eastern side. I love my whole state and the other 5 attached to it...LOL.
No it wasn't directed at you at all.

There are others who enjoy coming in here and talking about how "rude" people from Boston/MA are. However, how many state forums do you see MA residents ripping into because they aren't thrilled with their culture or lifestyle (but it's US who are so elitest and pretentious apparently!)? It seems a bit juvenile and hypocritical to go the Massachusetts forum and rant about how rude and inconsiderate the residents of the Bay State are. It's also a testament to how patient the MA residents are for dealing with pages of adolescent complaining about just how "obnoxious" we all are. It's a bit comical to read a post from "friendly" people about how awful an entire region is in terms of personality. I guess being friendly doesn't mean one is necessarily immune from forming generalizations about the people of an entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts