Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 12:30 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauimauimaui View Post
<SNIP> Many people come here expecting to find paradise with little to no challenges and most of them move away within a few months.

<SNIP>
My main concern is regarding making friends. I have made some great friends here and many of them move away. I mean, it is nice to have friends all over the world but definitely a lot lacking in life to not have quality friends here. <SNIP>

<SNIP>
When I leave, it will not be because of the high cost of living, or island fever or whatever else people use as excuses. My reason will clearly be that I miss friends and family and the quality of friendships I have made here is not nearly the same level as back home.<SNIP>

And I have not even gotten to the topic of dating yet. Dating here sucks. Back in Minnesota, I had no issues dating or having girlfriends but here is so different. <SNIP>
You've pretty much hit a lot of the basic downsides that we really try to get across to people thinking of moving here. Although, generally, folks tell us we're being negative when we try to tell them of these possible concerns.

As you noticed, a lot of people move to Hawaii expecting Paradise and then move away within a few months. Generally, the ones who fly away first are the ones who say they are "moving to Paradise". You, as a new resident, have made friends with a few of them and are understandably upset that your new friends are now moving away. Skype is no substitute for a beach buddy or someone to have lunch with. So, it is also very understandable that folks who live in Hawaii would prefer to make friends with people who will stay here.

The only way to get friends who won't move away is to make friends with folks who grew up here, have family or a business here or some compelling reasons to live here other than they don't like where they came from or they want to live in a mythical fantasy land. However, these folks aren't going to want to make friends with you - other than a superficial friendship - until they know that you are going to stick around yourself. And, they don't know you're gonna do that, unless you've already done it or you've done something with permanence. Marry a local, buy a house, start a business, something that shows roots. Join community clubs, too. Lions, Rotary, Friends of the Library, etc. They will still be superficial, but you'll get folks to interact with who will be sticking around and in two or three years, then they will see that you're sticking around and you may start becoming better friends with some of them. But even back in Minnesota, how many friends did you have where you visited their house and had dinner with them?

As for dating, if you're still comparing things to "back in Minnesota", well, unless you find someone interested in moving to Minnesota you're not likely to find many prospective girlfriends. A lot of your woes are all from being temporary. From the sounds of your post here on the forum, it sounds as if you're pretty much planning on being temporary. And it is very much the fall out from that temporariness that is causing the temporariness in the first place.

If you want good friends and girlfriends, you'll pretty much have to decide to stay in Hawaii no matter what and do everything to be a permanent resident. And then give the friendships time to develop. Buy a house, plant a tree, join local's clubs, join civic clubs, and never ever say you're going to move back to Minnesota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 12:30 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustForYOu View Post
Is this available for pre~order yet?
Here's the book jacket…

Old 05-26-2015, 12:31 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Mountain View Post
How's the dating scene for mean jerks ?
Why we don't know, Green_Mountain, how is it?

(As they say in Hawaii, what goes around comes around.)

Last edited by hotzcatz; 05-26-2015 at 12:46 PM..

Old 05-26-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauimauimaui View Post
I find it funny that it is assumed I have a low education level when indeed I have a masters degree. I just found that on Maui I make more money as a server than in my field of eduction.
Sadly, folks here seem to educe that your "field of eduction" is in something that makes it difficult to find happiness on Maui.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:59 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Here's the book jacket…
Jonah, you been cutting your awa with okolehao again? And are you personally handling the pre-sales?

He kane pupule ino'ino i ka po'o

Old 05-26-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Jonah, you been cutting your awa with okolehao again? And are you personally handling the pre-sales?
Nope, to both questions. However, a well-negotiated ghostwriting gig for Steve Harvey is lucrative enough to pay for a couple of houses in Wailea.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:47 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Nope, to both questions. However, a well-negotiated ghostwriting gig for Steve Harvey is lucrative enough to pay for a couple of houses in Wailea.
Forget finding the house in Wailea, you'd have to navigate your way around around the paradoxical title first.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:52 PM

749 posts, read 852,959 times
Well OP, again a thread is taken over by the 'usual suspects' so eager to try and prove how 'different' Hawaii is. Nope, like any over-hyped tourist trappy locale basically anywhere in the world, high costs, low wages and native-borns feeling a lack of opportunity and varying levels of resentment toward the tourists and 'outsiders' who take up residence.

There are definitely friendlier places to live in the US and the world. Maui is best suited for retirees I think since it is so small and rural. For younger or dating people I would imagine Honolulu would be easier for finding the type of happiness I believe you are talking about.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:20 AM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
I like reading some of the posts here in Hawaii and especially like seeing pictures of Hawaii. I read this thread and couldn't help but notice the OP had made other posts about what a great time he had bar hopping but then started another thread about how hard it was to find happiness.

To the question: "Why is it so Hard to Find Happiness on Maui?"

My Yoda response is: the answer lies within.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:11 PM

96 posts, read 145,092 times
I fully agree with your Yoda!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui