Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 06:32 PM

209 posts, read 459,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
1.5 million what? Dollars? Square feet? Million of what?
There are 1.5 million square feet. The actual value seems 1.5 million USD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 09:44 AM

1,062 posts, read 2,051,945 times
Default Don't Call It a Comeback-Sears Crosstown

Today in the Commercial Appeal they stated some news for tomorrow. Stay tuned....

Some may want to check this out Thursday

'Beacon' will beckon partygoers
Crosstown Arts, the nonprofit that has been working to develop both the art scene and the empty Sears Crosstown building, is basing a party on the installation of a sculpture made of spinning bike wheels, called "Beacon."
The event will be 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the corner of North Watkins and Autumn, in front of Cleveland Street Flea Market and the Crosstown Arts office.
Live music, food and drinks will be provided; the installation starts at 7.
The concept for "Beacon" was proposed by artists Eli Gold and Colin Kidder at Crosstown Arts' Memfeast 2 in April 2011. Support from Harry Freeman and Sara Ratner made its creation possible.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:06 AM

43 posts, read 111,497 times
Wow!

'Founding partners' commit to lease most of Memphis' Sears Crosstown Building » The Commercial Appeal

You weren't overhyping by any means.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:02 AM

Well it's official. Expect big changes in the look of Cleveland also. I am just glad this building will be saved.

Old 08-19-2012, 09:04 AM

Also, the Target on Jefferson idea never fell through. While I hate chains, they do seem to accommodate to historic neighborhoods, so that could also be on the horizon. Great things for the area. Cleveland should have a new facelift soon, as I mentioned in the post above.

Old 08-19-2012, 10:46 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
Well it's official. Expect big changes in the look of Cleveland also. I am just glad this building will be saved.
Me too. Others like it have been saved in various cities.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:46 PM

7,534 posts, read 17,221,758 times
This is awesome! Can't wait to see great things happening in this part of town. That's a mighty BIG building, but with so many esteemed organizations working on it, I think this is a done deal.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:56 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I've always found that building fascinating, may have to make a run by there when it's completed.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 AM

329 posts, read 635,598 times
Hotel Chisca, Overton Square, Sears Crosstown, now last is The Sterick building. If Memphis can soon get that building on that list that would be beyond wonderful. This deserves some national attention if we can revive these historic structures.
This is one reason why I love my city as our track record shows we appreciate our history from the buildings to music.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:58 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,337,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKernel91 View Post
Hotel Chisca, Overton Square, Sears Crosstown, now last is The Sterick building. If Memphis can soon get that building on that list that would be beyond wonderful. This deserves some national attention if we can revive these historic structures.
This is one reason why I love my city as our track record shows we appreciate our history from the buildings to music.
Sometimes even I will acknowledge it can go too far, but the history is what gives every city its character -- particularly the hardships a city has overcome. And buildings like these are visible reminders of that. But even above that preservation is the importance of preserving the ugliest chapters of history in some form to educate and serve future generations. That is why the Civil Rights Museum is so noteworthy. Dallas has done the same thing, as has Germany. I hope Penn State will do the same (I think the location of the removed statue would be a poignant location).

Music recognition was fairly recent (I still remember Isaac Tigrett criticizing the city's failure to appreciate this history while he was profiled for his Hard Rock Cafe and House of Blues involvement), but it sure came on strong.

The preservation needs to be for a purpose beyond the preservation itself for a community to truly distinguish itself. Preservation is better than nothing, but, a purpose like what is proposed for the Sears would provide some substance to make a meaningful impact beyond eliminating the eyesore nature and preserving a historic structure. Hopefully it will contribute to the arts, education, and health of not just that neighborhood, but the region.

I'm glad it's moving forward, with many noteworthy tenants. I'll look for another location to house my ideas of awesomeness lol...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis