Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:20 PM

5 posts, read 15,635 times

Advertisements

I am being reassigned to Millington soon as a civil servant. If anyone would provide me information on where to live, the area, the people, etc it would be great.

I have contact with a realor there who has sent me a good deal of information on homes for sale. Probelm is I do not know where to center my attention; I have never been in Millington before. Than you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 11,366 times
Default Millington

Millington is comprised of a lot of different types of people, retired, middle class, low income, and wealthy. There is a lot of growth and the income levels differ extremely. There are homes in the $40's all the way up to the $400's. The base does have a fence thanks to 9-11. They had removed the fence but security needed to be increased world wide and therefore a fence became neccessary again. I grew up in Millington and the fence was just part of life, it was odd for me to see the fence down. The town has lots of history and old homes, the churches are becoming mega churches now, a sign of growth, and still with that many new people you will still receive a smile from a stranger. I am not sure what advice to give you to find a rental, the Millington Star, Covington Leader, and Commercial appeal are all I really know. If you are military you could check with them. I have a home in Tipton County but it is rented effective 1-15-08. I have not lived in this area for 7 years so even though some say there is no growth I am not sure what they are looking at for me it is amazing how much it has grown.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:39 PM

5 posts, read 15,635 times
Smile Housing in Millington

Thank you for the insight of the Millington area. I will be working on the base as a civil servant but I am also retired military. I have been on the internet many times reviewing the housing market in general. It appears the homes in the general area are selling for less and less each week that passes.

Like the rest of the USA it seems to be a buyer's market. I am fairly certain my wife and I may purchase a home we want at a price that is comfortable for us.

As for the reports I have seen and people I have talked to that spent time in the area Millington appears to be a quite town with little crime. That suits us. I also have become interested in the Barlett, Arlington, Lake, Lakeland areas as well. These towns seem to offer more facilities and shopping opportunities, restaurants, etc.

Thank you again....arnoldrob

Old 12-27-2007, 10:25 PM

19 posts, read 30,963 times
Millington traditionally has been the "poorer" suburb. Some people dont even think of it as a suburb. More like a country town. It's been growing a lot lately. The "downtown" area (Navy Rd) is pretty much dead, it looks kinda inner-city because everything is closed. But the highway 51 area by Wal-Mart is growing fast. There are so many new businesses. Lots of new houses are being built on the southern edges of town. Millington is still a working-class town, but in no way would I consider it dangerous. I have never felt unsafe there.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:50 AM

3 posts, read 11,366 times
There are lots of houses for sale as with cities all over the US but from what I understand the market is slow for the $150- $225K range, by they way I have a house listed for that range MLS ID# 3115785. We have had a few lookers and are about to rent out since there have been no offers. I have been told it is just bad timing. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis