Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:48 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
What makes you think I live in Memphis? I haven't for 30 years. One does not have to live in a pig's sty to know that it's dirty. You're not very sharp, are you?
Okay...we all, myself included, get the fact that A) you REALLY have nothing good to say about Memphis...and B) you have a rather snarky way of expressing it...those are both a given...

However, to do it in such a way that you question another poster's intelligence, or scoff at his having the temerity to say something GOOD about Memphis, which was the initial intent of the thread, is kinda not cool...

I hope the Memphis forum-folk don't mind me chiming in, even though I don't have a dog in the fight (non-resident)...but I really don't like it when someone has to resort to being a smart-a** and being condescending to get their point across...

If I was indeed wanting to move to Memphis, I'll admit, I'd want to hear both sides, the yea and the nay...that's only natural, and the more info I could harvest, the better...but in the end, I wouldn't base my final decision on opinions in a chat forum.

Said opinions are good to hear, especially from longtime residents, but honestly, they wouldn't sway me one way or the other---and if I moved there and was miserable, then I would only have myself to blame for that decision

That being said, I've enjoyed reading the posts on this thread over the last couple days...I'm getting a clear picture of those who both boost the city, and are wanting to help the OP, and those who don't particularly like the city, and are honestly trying to make sure the OP doesn't make a move he/she will regret...

And then there's the 3rd category...someone making smart remarks, and cutting down other posters, all for the sake of trying to up their 'snarky quotient', and I'm sorry, but that's uncool...and that's honesty, 'Skippy'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Crime & corruption are not just Memphis problems, they are Tennessee problems. "Total loss"? Don't be too over dramatic and discredit yourself, because no one beleives that. A slow growth metro that was ranked 9th in the nation for corporate expansion is no loss to reasonable people.
Yes, other Tennessee cities have crime problems. How does this elevate Memphis? That's like having pancreatic cancer and trying to make yourself feel better by saying, "Well, thousands of others have it too" You're still going to die.

By total loss, I mean that I think that Memphis doesn't have a chance of turning things around. Even with the departure of the mayor who played a big part in ruining the city, I don't think it's going to happen. Annexing the available county into oblivion really worked, didn't it? Look what's happened to Countrywood. The tax base has fled and they are not coming back. Property values in the city are plummeting. Memphis is just a Detroit, only further South.

You can criticize my style, which is admittedly harsh, but you can't debunk my words.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:25 AM

201 posts, read 636,507 times
I always marvel at why opinions aren't just expressed, and taken for what they are..opinions.

No one is obligated to sugarcoat their own experiences about Memphis or any other city, then provide their own opinion .... 'glowing, rah-rah', or 'snarky or harsh'....who cares ?? it's their opinion, right ?

Frankly I could not care too much about a person's 'style' in expressing theri own opinion about Memphis. It's only revealing that if a person expresses a negative or very negative truth about Memphis, some one pops up to make a personal attack on the poster themselves as a person, and not legitimately disagree with the actual CONTENT ...therein lies a problem.

No one is 'forced' to 'like Memphis', NYC or any other city or town. Nine times out of ten, someone will utter the tired old "love it or LEAVE it" mentality in Memphis, which seems silly to say the least......as in "How Dare YOU criticize where I LIVE" ! lol.....which is quite quite odd.

Hey you can criticize my hometown, where I grew up, where I live, where I visit, or anything else......I don't care because you don't have to like or 'love' where you choose to live or work...those decisions are made using a multitude of variables for each individual..

It's also very sily to suggest that a non-resident of Memphis, TN is not 'qualified' to have a presence on the Memphis forum....that is beyond comprehension. Anyone can comment on any forum and can provide their own opinions on anything. Residents don't 'own' local opinions. It's not a fraternity that requires everyone to subscribe to the local color, or everything 'local to Memphis' for godsake.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheist View Post
I always marvel at why opinions aren't just expressed, and taken for what they are..opinions.

No one is obligated to sugarcoat their own experiences about Memphis or any other city, then provide their own opinion .... 'glowing, rah-rah', or 'snarky or harsh'....who cares ?? it's their opinion, right ?

Frankly I could not care too much about a person's 'style' in expressing theri own opinion about Memphis. It's only revealing that if a person expresses a negative or very negative truth about Memphis, some one pops up to make a personal attack on the poster themselves as a person, and not legitimately disagree with the actual CONTENT ...therein lies a problem.

No one is 'forced' to 'like Memphis', NYC or any other city or town. Nine times out of ten, someone will utter the tired old "love it or LEAVE it" mentality in Memphis, which seems silly to say the least......as in "How Dare YOU criticize where I LIVE" ! lol.....which is quite quite odd.

Hey you can criticize my hometown, where I grew up, where I live, where I visit, or anything else......I don't care because you don't have to like or 'love' where you choose to live or work...those decisions are made using a multitude of variables for each individual..

It's also very sily to suggest that a non-resident of Memphis, TN is not 'qualified' to have a presence on the Memphis forum....that is beyond comprehension. Anyone can comment on any forum and can provide their own opinions on anything. Residents don't 'own' local opinions. It's not a fraternity that requires everyone to subscribe to the local color, or everything 'local to Memphis' for godsake.
Well stated, my friend. I can disagree with nothing you've stated. Also, I don't live in Memphis, but I live close by. Too close, and what has happened to the city in the last few decades sickens me, and I intend to continue expressing this feeling.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:53 AM

369 posts, read 1,232,758 times
Must be that time of month where the haters come out. They'll come on here post all kinds of hate and negative comments. Oh, but it's alright b/c they'll say they're only speaking the truth. That may be the case sometimes but most of the time it's not. Go back and read past posts and you'll find out they make generalizations, false statements, and give misleading information. These are the folks that should not be taken seriously.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:46 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus10 View Post
Must be that time of month where the haters come out. They'll come on here post all kinds of hate and negative comments. Oh, but it's alright b/c they'll say they're only speaking the truth. That may be the case sometimes but most of the time it's not. Go back and read past posts and you'll find out they make generalizations, false statements, and give misleading information. These are the folks that should not be taken seriously.
Lol, agreed.

The trolls are coming out in full force to wage their futile war of spite, lol. Too bad negativity, spite, and efforts to stifle hope and optimism are more a reflection of the source of such pernicious character traits than they are the object of their campaign.

Really, who is pathetic enough to go to try and prevent optimism of another city's residents and supporters?

Get outside! Life is good! If residents of any city want to improve their surroundings, it surely indicates a spiteful dark character to try to minimize or mock that. Symptomatic of a much bigger problem of the individual than anything Memphis (or any city) has to deal with, thank god.

Wherever one is, be a positive source of energy. Wish no harm, inflict no harm, and find one or two things that give you purpose, help your family, and help your community.

I for one have never been prouder to be a Memphian and though I'm away, support its efforts to pursue its potential 110%. No reason not to, when lives improve as a result.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:48 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,499 times
Quote:
Well stated, my friend. I can disagree with nothing you've stated. Also, I don't live in Memphis, but I live close by. Too close, and what has happened to the city in the last few decades sickens me, and I intend to continue expressing this feeling.
I do seek improvement to the community I love. And seek constructive productive suggestions. Such as the greenline; however small a development, it is a step forward.

Can't wait to return home to keep the progress going!

Old 07-07-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
I do seek improvement to the community I love. And seek constructive productive suggestions. Such as the greenline; however small a development, it is a step forward.

Can't wait to return home to keep the progress going!
I can't argue with that. I wish you good luck. Me, I'm thinking of moving out West to the Front Range or somewhere. I don't like the weather here, either. I'm sure no one will mourn my leaving, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Nothing is keeping me here.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,352 times
Quote:
Jesus rotting Christ, was there supposed to be a point embedded in there somewhere? Sure, other cities have isolated problems, but that does not diminish the fact that Memphis is a total train wreck, the result of corrupt government and racism since Dick Hackett was mayor. The list is almost endless, from catered in gourmet banquets on the school budget's dime to paying for 21 flat tires on one cop car at the same location. Memphis is a total loss, and anyone who cannot see that is just in denial.

let's discuss the nashville "boner" years. i knew both of them---particularly tracey...if you really want to discuss embarrassing administrations, corrupt governments...keepin' it real, as they say. fulton, anyone? isolated...you wish, so chew on that a while longer. you and your crew have been "dixonizing" and issusing self-fullfilling prophecies ever since memphis was just a wee little girl. all, too no avail. you hate memphis, you hate the suburbs in tn, you hate the suburbs in arkansas, and you hate the growing counties and suburbs in ms. memphis and the region will be here long after you and i are gone.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
let's discuss the nashville "boner" years. i knew both of them---particularly tracey...if you really want to discuss embarrassing administrations, corrupt governments...keepin' it real, as they say. fulton, anyone? isolated...you wish, so chew on that a while longer. you and your crew have been "dixonizing" and issusing self-fullfilling prophecies ever since memphis was just a wee little girl. all, too no avail. you hate memphis, you hate the suburbs in tn, you hate the suburbs in arkansas, and you hate the growing counties and suburbs in ms. memphis and the region will be here long after you and i are gone.
Again, how does another city's problems elevate Memphis? Also, cockroaches will be here long after you and I are gone. Your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis