Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 03:10 PM

522 posts, read 1,855,870 times

Advertisements

worriedforkids, that's exactly the same reason why we were considering of moving to Oakland bc of the house that u can get for your money. What do you exactly mean risky after elementary school? could you elaborate on that? If we were to get serious about Oakland what are the more better areas that u can recommend. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 07:34 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,736 times
I don't mean to speak for worried4kids, but Fayette County public schools are in general not very good. Fayette County for whatever reason has not seen a benefit to increased, more affluent population in it's public schools. It isn't a suburban type school district by any stretch, although this gets progressively worse as the grade levels advance.

I wouldn't say Fayette Ware (the county high school) is as bad as an inner city Memphis City School, but it is pretty rough and not a great educational atmosphere. This was true 20+ years ago when I was in school and Fayette County hasn't improved with the population boom in the past several years. Oakland Elementary is fine, but beyond that most people I know who moved out to Fayette County start saving and searching for private schools.

Lots of folks talk about the lower taxes you pay in Fayette County making up for private school costs, and this might be true in a $750,000 house in Hickory Wythe (Fayette County) versus Eads (Shelby County). If you are in a $150,000 house in Oakland, your taxes might be $400.00. They would be about $2000 to $2500 in Bartlett, maybe $1800 to $2000 in Arlington, and probably about $1500 to $1800 in Lakeland (the problem is it is harder to find that price range in Arlington or Lakeland than Bartlett and you get much lower city services in Lakeland or Arlington than you would in Bartlett). One child in a good private school is going to run you at least $7,000.00. That math doesn't work.

There are lots of compelling reasons to escape from Shelby County, although I know you can find a nice, safe place with good public schools and good neighbors plus the amenities we all want in Shelby County. However, if you decide that isn't for you and your family and you want out of Shelby County, be aware of the school issues in Fayette County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis