Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 01:10 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,245 times

Advertisements

I've really only started having anxiety attacks about a week ago. I feel nervous for hours on end, shivering feeling, constant pain at the back of my head, and nausea. Is this simply just a phase? Will it go away over time or will it get worse as time progresses?

Old 08-22-2010, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,668 times
Default Anxiety, Depression & Phobias

Hello ~

I have had lived with Panic Disorder for eleven years now and four years ago I went through a very bad depression. Now, things have shifted towards having a phobia of being sick (stomach sick) and of getting food poisoning.

It is starting to get ridiculous. Every single time I eat meat at home that I have prepared, I spend the next two-three hours anxious and convinced that I will be sick with a foodborne illness. In the Spring, I was sick in the hospital with what they determined was Norovirus. They did not find bacteria so it was determined that it wasn't food poisoning. I don't know what this all about but now, a half-hour after eaing pork, I feel anxious and have nausea.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:43 AM

720 posts, read 3,007,636 times
You hear about people having panic attacks, my gf had a couple but its hard to understand how people get so worked up if its never happenned to you before.

I go to Jamaica every year always have a great time. This year I was afraid of flying so was nervous b/c of that. Landed and was going to our hotel, it was gloomy and rainy instead of the normal sunny, we had kind fo a crazy driver I just was feeling very anxious had a lot of my mind and also a lot fo work stuff going on back at home.

During our 1.5 hour ride to our resort I wasn't feeling good but was holding it together. Once we checked in and got to the room just totally broke down, started hyperventalating, was really scary that you can have such a strong physical reaction to essentially nothing. My arms and hands started going numb, felt like I was gonna pass out.

Gf wound up giving me a xanax, passed out til the next morning and was still feeeling a little anxious. Started making plans to go home but went to breakfast, day was sunny, decided to stick it out and had a great time.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:01 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,664,793 times
Has anyone ever tried to take magnesium? I have read that many are deficient in and that it can cause panic attacks, muscle aches, etc. Curious if anyone has tried it, and has it helped.

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition

http://www.healthsupplementsnutritio...Magnesium.html

Old 09-27-2010, 02:50 AM

15 posts, read 23,729 times
Well,I got panic attacks when I see the horror movies and it will continue for about two or three days.But when I play very happy, I will forget it.So I think if you want to feel better, you can travel to relax yourself or find some fun things to do.
If it really very serious, you could try to take some chinese medicine about nerves.
Best regards.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:27 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Hi all. I have been dealing with a panic disorder for almost 20 years now off and on. The last 6 years it has been extreme. I have seen all kinds of doctors, taken different meds, I am still on a anti-anxiety and anti-depressant. Nothing has really helped. Right now, I am in a bad cycle, I am not sleeping, my mind races all night long. I feel my heart racing all the time. I feel really scared of I dont know what, but the feeling never leaves me. I am scared that I wont be able to keep fighting this forever. I feel so hopelss right now. I dont even live a life. I forgot what it is to smile and just be calm. I stay home 90% of the time. Cant go to the movies, dinner, the mall, it is so hard for me to be in a car. I havent been on the freeway in like 8 months. We are planning a move to New England this coming year for which I am very excited about. Maybe a calmer place might help. I dont know. People take for granted how lucky they are to just go to the movies. The thought of that makes me hyperventilate, and cry, and just feel soo scared. For people that dont have this disorder, I know it is hard to understand. But your life is just sad, scared, hopeless, all the time. It sounds silly to be afraid to drive, eat out or go shopping, but the fear is there all the time. Why? I dont know but like I said, I just feel like I am at my breaking point, this isnt a life anymore. Is there anyone that has had panic attacks to the severity that I do, and has gotten better? Please tell me there is some hope out there.
I have them as bad as you, but no, I've not gotten better. There have been short periods of remission, but it always goes back to being bad again. Right now I'm on a cocktail of five different medications to try to control this. Also, my psychiatrist has sent me back to intensive outpatient therapy at the local mental health hospital. Maybe that will help. I've had this problem for almost 30 years now.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:39 PM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times
I deviated from my usual routine today and nearly had an anxiety/panic attack as I had to navigate a crosswalk with cars going three different directions (at a four way stop). I am on the autism specturm so I get over-stimulated quite easily as I am an intensely visual thinker. I started to walk with enough time so that no car was in back of me and the car going straight had not yet started from a stopped position (on my left going straight). However, that car barely slowed down to allow me to get a chance to see if another car going the opposite direction was stopped at the stopsign. Apparently, a car was stopped there, but I barely got a chance to see that fact due to the idiocy of the other car who barely slowed down enough to stop based on my average gait. This caused me severe levels of stress as I don't trust most drivers with regard to stopping for pedestrians these days. It is horrible!!! I need to get on some stress and anxiety medication because this is really starting to negatively impact my quality of life. Thoughts?

Old 11-13-2010, 04:34 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,036,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I deviated from my usual routine today and nearly had an anxiety/panic attack as I had to navigate a crosswalk with cars going three different directions (at a four way stop). I am on the autism specturm so I get over-stimulated quite easily as I am an intensely visual thinker. I started to walk with enough time so that no car was in back of me and the car going straight had not yet started from a stopped position (on my left going straight). However, that car barely slowed down to allow me to get a chance to see if another car going the opposite direction was stopped at the stopsign. Apparently, a car was stopped there, but I barely got a chance to see that fact due to the idiocy of the other car who barely slowed down enough to stop based on my average gait. This caused me severe levels of stress as I don't trust most drivers with regard to stopping for pedestrians these days. It is horrible!!! I need to get on some stress and anxiety medication because this is really starting to negatively impact my quality of life. Thoughts?
Talk to your doctor about it, but I would try Buspar (Wellbutrin) before going on any of the benzodiazepine medications like Xanax or Valium. Buspar is non-addictive whereas Xanax and Valium are. The Benzos are habit forming and can hard to get off of. In my experience Buspar is just as effective as Xanax in calming the nerves and helping to reduce panic attacks.

Good luck!

Old 11-13-2010, 05:29 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,272,645 times
I thought Buspar was something different than Wellbutrin?? are you sure?

Greenchili

Old 11-15-2010, 04:48 PM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Talk to your doctor about it, but I would try Buspar (Wellbutrin) before going on any of the benzodiazepine medications like Xanax or Valium. Buspar is non-addictive whereas Xanax and Valium are. The Benzos are habit forming and can hard to get off of. In my experience Buspar is just as effective as Xanax in calming the nerves and helping to reduce panic attacks.

Good luck!
I will look into Buspar. The problem I have with crosswalks and streets, is that it overstimulates my visual processing abilities to the extreme. I overthink the situation, and do not trust many drivers these days with the level of speed an inattention. Being on the autism spectrum, it also overactivates my "flight or fight" innate response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health