Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 02:10 PM

3,126 posts, read 1,017,583 times

Advertisements

The federal expert panel has reccomended this assisted suicide in the future. What is fake information?

Last edited by farm108; 07-20-2022 at 02:20 PM..

Old 07-21-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Posting false information to disparage good people does none of those things. Please just stop.
I'm wondering if you are going to apologize for your baseless accusations.

Old 07-21-2022, 09:07 AM

36,423 posts, read 16,036,192 times
According to that Article, I'm mentally ill! What garbage!

Old 07-23-2022, 06:59 AM

109 posts, read 99,160 times
Default Euthanasia for the Mentally Ill is Tricky

I understand euthanasia as an act of compassion, but I think it’s tricky for the mentally ill. I suffer from depression with suicidal ideation, but the truth is that I don’t want to die but ease my suffering. From what I read, the Canadian government will require consent to be euthanized, but what sound consent can give a patient in a state of mental despair?

Old 07-23-2022, 07:32 AM

I know. It's the first question that came to my mind too. Asking consent of someone whose judgement is impaired.

I know personally a few people who have been helped tremendously by a strict keto diet to stabilize their mood.
All the best!

Old 07-23-2022, 11:12 AM

88,616 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegomar2007 View Post
I understand euthanasia as an act of compassion, but I think it’s tricky for the mentally ill. I suffer from depression with suicidal ideation, but the truth is that I don’t want to die but ease my suffering. From what I read, the Canadian government will require consent to be euthanized, but what sound consent can give a patient in a state of mental despair?
Um. OF COURSE they require consent to be euthanized. That's the only way it can happen. Canada does not euthanize people at random without their consent. Good Lord.

That's the issue from what I've read and the reason for the delay in implementing MAID for the mentally ill. It has to be the person's decision, and it's not a matter of just picking up the phone and saying, "Hey, Doc, I wanna die, sent over the needle." There is a complicated application process. For example, Dr. Shelley Sarwal, who documented her own journey through the MAID procedure, was only 47 years old, but she had an irreversible degenerative disease that was going to render her completely helpless and bedridden with no quality of life. You can already see in the documentary that she can barely walk, and as she is talking to the doctor at her kitchen table, she has her arm on the table with her hand holding up her head, and she mentions that if she wasn't sitting that way, she wouldn't be able to hold up her head.

But still, she had to set a date for her death and discuss the drugs and the details of her death. It does not happen in two days and and there has to be no hope of recovery. There is, of course, also paperwork to be done, as in any government procedure.

It will be trickier with a mentally ill person, and that's the reason for the delay. They would have to be determined to be competent to make the decision for themselves, and just like any of the other allowable reasons for MAID, there has to be no quality of life or hope for a cure or treatment.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:25 AM

Here is another perspective--that of the family.

In this case, a woman with early-onset Alzheimer's chose to die via MAID, but did not tell her family. There is no obligation for a person to inform anyone else of their decision.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/whitecoat/t...gone-1.6380470

Old 07-23-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Posting false information to disparage good people does none of those things. Please just stop.
Now that you are here again, do you think you can apologize for your baseless accusations?

Old 07-23-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
Now that you are here again, do you think you can apologize for your baseless accusations?
There were no baseless accusations, and so there will be no apology. You posted misleading information with an obvious political slant in a health-related forum. I called you on it. End of story.

And I am not "here again", I have been here all along, so I don't know what you're trying to do there, but it doesn't matter. I simply ignored you.

Despite whatever your intentions may have been, the topic is important and presents an opportunity to share knowledge and inform those who wish to learn.

Old 07-23-2022, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
You posted misleading information ....

I never posted any false or misleading information. This is what you should apologize for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health