Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 12:50 PM

3,125 posts, read 1,011,740 times

Advertisements

"Canada’s medical assistance in dying (MAiD) law is already the most permissive euthanasia and assisted-suicide legislation in the world."

Horror story bellow. Please don't read if you get triggered.

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...uthanasia.html

Old 07-19-2022, 12:31 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
The very fact that the OP's website includes a childish reference to the Canadian PM being equal to the President of China should tell you that the OP's intentions have nothing to do with mental health but rather a political agenda.

This is from the Canadian government website, not a "pro-life", anti-euthanasia agenda organization as is the link in the OP. Stick with facts.

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/cj-jp/ad-am/bk-di.html

Quote:
As of March 17, 2021, persons who wish to receive MAID must satisfy the following eligibility criteria:

be 18 years of age or older and have decision-making capacity
be eligible for publicly funded health care services
make a voluntary request that is not the result of external pressure
give informed consent to receive MAID, meaning that the person has consented to receiving MAID after they have received all information needed to make this decision
have a serious and incurable illness, disease or disability (excluding a mental illness until March 17, 2023)
be in an advanced state of irreversible decline in capability
have enduring and intolerable physical or psychological suffering that cannot be alleviated under conditions the person considers acceptable
Eligibility for persons suffering from mental illness
Canadians whose only medical condition is a mental illness, and who otherwise meet all eligibility criteria, will not be eligible for MAID until March 17, 2023. This includes conditions that are primarily within the domain of psychiatry, such as depression and personality disorders. It does not include neurocognitive and neurodevelopmental disorders, or other conditions that may affect cognitive abilities.

This temporary exclusion will provide the Government of Canada with more time to study how MAID on the basis of a mental illness can safely be provided and to ensure appropriate safeguards are in place to protect those persons. To support this work, the law requires the Ministers of Justice and Health to initiate an expert review, which will be tasked with considering protocols, guidance and safeguards for MAID for persons suffering from mental illness, and to make recommendations within the next year (by March 17, 2022).

Old 07-20-2022, 10:11 AM

I don't fully understand what you mean, I have no political agenda.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
I don't fully understand what you mean, I have no political agenda.
So you just happened to post a biased article containing blatant misinformation about another country's medical policies published on an far-right-wing American website. Got it.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:16 PM

Yes. Without any agenda.

But thanks for making assumptions about me. I got the lesson.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:42 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
I doubt the old man's life was taken arbitrarily otherwise it would be categorized as a homicide. No matter what assumptions about Canada are, it is not lawless. Canada has the same values that Americans do, except that we do not discriminate against women and their reproductive rights. (that's a bit of a low blow, I admit).

Old 07-20-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Yes. Without any agenda.

But thanks for making assumptions about me. I got the lesson.
What could possibly have been your purpose in posting such an article "without an agenda".

Old 07-20-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I doubt the old man's life was taken arbitrarily otherwise it would be categorized as a homicide. No matter what assumptions about Canada are, it is not lawless. Canada has the same values that Americans do, except that we do not discriminate against women and their reproductive rights. (that's a bit of a low blow, I admit).
Yes, it sounds as though something is missing. Per the gov page, MAID is not yet available for mental illness and has to be handled differently, since one has to be competent to make the choice. Further, it could not be done in two days. My partner's aunt, in her 80s and dying of a painful, incurable cancer had to go through a process to be approved.

Also, if anyone is SERIOUSLY interested in the MAID process, they might want to watch Her Last Project, the documentary of a doctor with a degenerative illness going through the MAID process and becoming the first to donate her organs in doing so

Sadly, it's become a popular game of late for some of my countrypersons to try to disparage Canada by twisting truth.

Old 07-20-2022, 01:12 PM

Compassion. Empathy. Getting concerned for other human beings.

I know...what a concept...

Old 07-20-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Compassion. Empathy. Getting concerned for other human beings.

I know...what a concept...
Posting false information to disparage good people does none of those things. Please just stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health