Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 04:16 PM

344 posts, read 1,052,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Might be hard to learn in Playa del Carmen or Todos Santos, both are kind of small places where you will run into a lot of English speakers so not so sure you will learn at the level you should. Oaxaca and Guanajuato are great destinations to learn Spanish. Guadalajara will have the best internet options in Mexico and is an easy trip to the sea. Will depend on how much you want big city or smaller town.
I'm not one of those "mexico is dangerous, I'm not going there!!," people but If I'm not mistaken isn't Guadalajara is a major epicenter of gang violence and cartel activity?

As for Playa Del Carmen and the other smaller towns like Todos Santos, It might be nice having english speakers around for the first few months so I don't go into total culture shock lol. But I know total immersion is the best way to learn, and to get a true cultural experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 01:06 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,893,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
I'm not one of those "mexico is dangerous, I'm not going there!!," people but If I'm not mistaken isn't Guadalajara is a major epicenter of gang violence and cartel activity?

As for Playa Del Carmen and the other smaller towns like Todos Santos, It might be nice having english speakers around for the first few months so I don't go into total culture shock lol. But I know total immersion is the best way to learn, and to get a true cultural experience!
Not at all, Guadalajara is relatively safe with the usual small risks found in a major city. Truth most of us who have gotten to some level of fluency with another language will tell you is you learn only when you take off the training wheels. Immersion is by far the best way to learn. An occasional night chatting up in English won't hurt, but the places you mention are almost bilingual because they both are home to large expat communities and their tourism base is almost all English speakers. In any case English speakers are around almost everywhere if you feel the need. You just need a place where they aren't built into the fabric of the local area.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Not at all, Guadalajara is relatively safe with the usual small risks found in a major city. Truth most of us who have gotten to some level of fluency with another language will tell you is you learn only when you take off the training wheels. Immersion is by far the best way to learn. An occasional night chatting up in English won't hurt, but the places you mention are almost bilingual because they both are home to large expat communities and their tourism base is almost all English speakers. In any case English speakers are around almost everywhere if you feel the need. You just need a place where they aren't built into the fabric of the local area.
fair enough. understood. TY

Old 08-10-2013, 11:00 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
During my time in Mexico City (3yrs) and Baja (17yrs) have found that the "hanging out" will differ quite a bit compared to what is done in the US. What they do is very very different.

Social friends....their work schedules.....modes of transportation.....type of residence (complete familys in one house/apt).

The Mexican way of thinking is very different and a US person will have a difficult time relating as they look at many things from a different viewpoint (saw this many times personally).

Not trying to be objective but only giving one perspective from my time here.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:12 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,697,893 times
Quote:
thanks for the info guys! I appreciate all the responses.

Any thoughts on Merida?

seems like it's in a safe state (Yucatan) and is somewhat large and near the ocean?

edit:
and based on the all responses, it sounds like Mexico is extremely varied and interesting and excited. Maybe I should spend a month exploring before settling down =) Mexico is a huge country and I know nothing about it really. Kind of exciting to think about the possibilities.
If you can swing it, I would strongly recommend exploring for as long as you can before settling down. There is A LOT to see and way more variety than most would think. Travel by bus. It's safe (way safer and nicer than greyhound) and cheap. Central and Southern MX are loaded with interesting and pretty places to consider.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:49 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,415,962 times
Try--

Universidad Ibero Americana Cursos de Verano

I attended their summer courses, it was ages ago, but I think they still have them. They put you up with a selected Mexican family, courses transfer to most American universities, they are a member of CIC = Committee on International Coperation

BTW, they are in DF---Mexico City

Old 08-15-2013, 03:41 PM

60 posts, read 297,029 times
Quote:
The plan: learn spanish, and work on my online businesses/websites with my free time.

I've heard good things about 3 locations. i listed them below and would appreciate feedback and/or new suggestions for areas I haven't considered.

I'm looking for decent or low cost of living, relatively safe, good internet speeds/reliability! I need internet.

1. Oaxaca
2. Playa Del Carmen
3. Baja Del Sur.. .maybe Todos Los Santos? I don't know specifically where.

Not sure about any of the locations you mentioned, but I would think you can learn Spanish being anywhere in Mexico. Some universities have good Spanish courses, plus the streets are always a great place to practice.

As for the internet, I use Cable Vision and it is FAST! Probably why I pay more.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorof_Education View Post
Not sure about any of the locations you mentioned, but I would think you can learn Spanish being anywhere in Mexico. Some universities have good Spanish courses, plus the streets are always a great place to practice.

As for the internet, I use Cable Vision and it is FAST! Probably why I pay more.
aproximately how much should I expect to pay for Cable Vision or comparable fast internet? or how much do you pay?

Old 08-17-2013, 08:59 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,583,156 times
Quote:
Guadalajara is a very big city, so it is bound to have some organized crime. But on a relative scale I think the crime rate is not much different than an average American city. I would hardly call it an epicenter like Juarez or the cities in Sinaloa. The state department descriptions sound pretty bad, but more than likely you will spend most of your time on the West side of the city and not prowling the slums or the gay bars downtown. You are much less likely to be a victim of petty crime, and very unlikely to be a victim of violent crime.

Guadalajara is an urban area of 4.4 million. The easiest comparison in population is the US urban areas which are different than metropolitan statistical area which includes distant suburbs and is a much bigger number. There are 10 urban areas with population over 4 million in the USA.
1 New York--Newark, NY—NJ--CT 18,351,295
2 Los Angeles--Long Beach--Anaheim, CA 12,150,996
3 Chicago--Gary, IL—IN 8,608,208
4 Miami, FL 5,502,379
5 Philadelphia, PA—NJ--DE—MD 5,441,567
6 Dallas--Fort Worth--Arlington, TX 5,121,892
7 Houston, TX 4,944,332
8 Washington, DC—VA--MD 4,586,770
9 Atlanta, GA 4,515,419
10 Boston, MA—NH--RI 4,181,019

As a general rule, Americans are not normally singled out as victims in Mexico. It is much more dangerous to be a Mexican citizen in Mexico. Most of the well organized gangs will steer clear of Americans as they end up bringing major heat on themselves. Most Mexicans, except the very well connected, are easier marks.

=======================
STATE DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTIONS OF GUADALAJARA and TIJUANA (for comparison)
=======================
Jalisco state has a homicide rate of 11.2 per 100,000 inhabitants, while Guadalajara’s rate is 10 per 100,000.

Guadalajara, home to 4.4 million people, is the second largest city in Mexico. Guadalajara has a well-earned Department of State crime (non-residential crime) rating of High-plus. Petty street crime -- like purse or jewelry snatching, pick-pocketing, and theft from vehicles -- is very common. Areas of the greatest concern include the downtown district at night and areas east of downtown. Violent crime, to include kidnapping, car-jacking and armed-robbery, occurs with some frequency. There were 112 bank robberies in the Guadalajara Metropolitan Zone in 2011. Narco-related violence remained steady throughout the year. In the last six months of 2011, the U.S. Consulate Guadalajara tracked an average of 117 total security-related incidents per month.

However, there is no evidence to indicate American citizens in Guadalajara face crime or safety concerns distinct from those of residents or tourists. American citizens are not targeted because they are American citizens. Anti-American sentiment is seldom expressed toward U.S. citizens, official or non-official. And, narco-related violence tends to occur in places less likely to attract American citizen residents or tourists.
=======================

The security environment in Tijuana remained unsettled in 2012, as violent crime and narcotic trafficking continued. Authorities have failed to prosecute numerous crimes, including murder and kidnapping, committed against American citizens. Visitors traveling in border areas have also been victims of armed robberies, sexual assaults, auto thefts, and kidnappings. Although there is no indication that U.S. citizens are being specifically targeted, they are frequent victims.

Crime Threats

While U.S. citizens not involved in criminal activities are generally not targeted, innocent bystanders are at risk from the increase in violence in the streets of border cities and nearby towns. Criminals normally operate in pairs or small groups and generally carry a knife or handgun in the commission of their crimes. Criminals select victims based on an appearance of vulnerability, prosperity, or inattentiveness. Within the consulate community, Mexican employees fall victim to crime far more frequently than do their American employee colleagues. However, U.S. Consulate staff members are not immune to the effects of local violence, as crimes have occurred within close proximity to Consulate residences.

Tijuana is a very large metropolitan city with an ever present and very real crime problem. Pickpockets and purse snatchers are common and mostly occur in large crowds, on public transportation, and at tourist attractions. The numbers of armed assaults and robberies have increased dramatically.

The homicide rate dropped from 27 homicides per 100,000 inhabitants (or 418 total homicides) in 2011 to 21 per 100,000 inhabitants (or 332 total homicides) in 2012; however, homicide numbers increased in the nearby cities of Ensenada and Mexicali. Tijuana’s drop in homicides is widely attributed to a “truce” between Transnational Criminal Organizations (TCOs).

Crime victims, often those who are unaccompanied, have been raped, robbed of personal property, or abducted and then held while their credit cards were used at various businesses and Automatic Teller Machines (ATMs).

Old 08-18-2013, 08:31 AM

^^ interesting. Thanks for sharing all the info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico