Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 04:28 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,086 times

Advertisements

I've noticed the beaches in Southern California are COLD compared to beaches in Florida, especially south Florida. How far south do you have to go in Mexico (from Cali) before the water warms up to Florida levels of warmth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 04:50 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Cali is already south of Mexico, in Colombia.

Here's some data on Mexican beach water temps: Weather at Mexico Beaches: Annual Averages - Current Results

Old 12-02-2013, 05:01 PM

140 posts, read 267,093 times
What time of year and where is the question. The west coast of Florida on the Gulf is freezing in the winter. It's better on the Atlantic side but not really warm.

I live on the coast of Jalisco and water will be chilly by the end of January if not sooner and starting to warm up by April/May. We were at the beach yesterday and the water is "refreshing" .... not bath water like it was a few months ago

Old 12-02-2013, 06:30 PM

Looks like Ensenada is a little warmer than SoCal but it isn't as warm as any of the beaches in the gulf of mexico (at any time of the year). I find the SoCal water to be chilly even as late as September or as soon as June. Obviously, the beach is still enjoyable even when a little cool but I've always enjoyed warm water. Maybe it's because I"m filipino. Who knows..

I'm basically looking for the warmest beach possible within driving distance from Palm Dessert, CA. I didn't see any temps listed for San Felipe. I'm curious if the eastern side of the baja peninsula is different in temps than the Pacific side.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:38 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Looks like Ensenada is a little warmer than SoCal but it isn't as warm as any of the beaches in the gulf of mexico (at any time of the year). I find the SoCal water to be chilly even as late as September or as soon as June. Obviously, the beach is still enjoyable even when a little cool but I've always enjoyed warm water. Maybe it's because I"m filipino. Who knows..

I'm basically looking for the warmest beach possible within driving distance from Palm Dessert, CA. I didn't see any temps listed for San Felipe. I'm curious if the eastern side of the baja peninsula is different in temps than the Pacific side.
Yes the water is warmer on the east side of the peninsula. The cold current basically ends at the southern tip of the peninsula so the whole eastern side is going to have warmer water consistently. Still the air temps can be quite chilly in winter so its not really a reliable beach destination until spring break time. January days can have highs in the 50s all the way down to La Paz for periods of time.

So I guess you could plan on going to San Felipe or Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) for a warmer beach experience, but you probably will be disappointed if you do it in the middle of winter.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Yes the water is warmer on the east side of the peninsula. The cold current basically ends at the southern tip of the peninsula so the whole eastern side is going to have warmer water consistently. Still the air temps can be quite chilly in winter so its not really a reliable beach destination until spring break time. January days can have highs in the 50s all the way down to La Paz for periods of time.

So I guess you could plan on going to San Felipe or Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) for a warmer beach experience, but you probably will be disappointed if you do it in the middle of winter.
I'm not looking to go in the middle of winter. I wouldn't go in the water between November and March when I lived in the Tampa Bay area, but that water was way warmer (to me) than SoCal water. SoCal water is chilly most of the year. I was just looking for something comparable to Florida - not St. Lucia or Aruba.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I'm not looking to go in the middle of winter. I wouldn't go in the water between November and March when I lived in the Tampa Bay area, but that water was way warmer (to me) than SoCal water. SoCal water is chilly most of the year. I was just looking for something comparable to Florida - not St. Lucia or Aruba.
I doubt you'd compare your options to Florida, but I suppose Puerto Penasco/Rocky Point looks like a smaller scale version of the big resort towns further south in Mexico. I haven't been to San Felipe in quite some time, but did see on TV that it looks like its a lot more developed now. If you go in summer you'll get a fairly similar climate to Palm Desert, just more humidity.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:10 AM

Default How far south do you have to go for warm beaches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I doubt you'd compare your options to Florida, but I suppose Puerto Penasco/Rocky Point looks like a smaller scale version of the big resort towns further south in Mexico. I haven't been to San Felipe in quite some time, but did see on TV that it looks like its a lot more developed now. If you go in summer you'll get a fairly similar climate to Palm Desert, just more humidity.
Im just talking about the warmth of the water, but not necessarily the air. I'm not trying to compare resorts, developments, or anything like that.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
I've noticed the beaches in Southern California are COLD compared to beaches in Florida, especially south Florida. How far south do you have to go in Mexico (from Cali) before the water warms up to Florida levels of warmth?
I'd say southern Baja and Sinaloa on the Sea of Cortez is where you're really going to find reliably warmer water temps. I've been to Loreto and Bahia de Concepcion on the Sea of Cortez and the water was swimmable in late fall and somewhat so in the middle of winter(at least when I went)--though it can cool down a bit--but the coldest months felt like going to San Diego in early summer(maybe upper 60s for water). South of there it gets warmer though on average--La Paz is warmer and usually Cabo and the rest of the cape is swimable and warm year round. Mazatlan is reliably warm as well, but you might want to avoid most of Sinaloa.

Last edited by Deezus; 12-03-2013 at 10:10 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Im just talking about the warmth of the water, but not necessarily the air. I'm not trying to compare resorts, developments, or anything like that.
If you search wikipedia for San Felipe and Puerto Penasco they have water temps by month. Looks to me like the water isn't really enjoyable until May which kind of surprises me and the Florida-type water temps only exist at the end of summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico