Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 01:20 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Salep which is a type of flour made from an orchid used to make beverages and desserts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 PM

356 posts, read 1,066,319 times
Arrabal-poor quarter of a city
Alcoba-room

Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
If a word in Spanish begins with an al-, more likely than not it's of Arabic origin. To get the isolated word in (Hispano-)Arabic, simply remove the "al-", as this is the equivalent of "the" in English or "el" or "la" in Spanish (I don't think Arabic has a distinction between definite and indefinite articles, so it could also translate as "una" or "un" or "a"). For example, the city name "Algeciras" (in Spain's extreme south):

al - geciras

الجزيرة

"Al Jazeera"

"(the) island"

Of course, the better known "Al Jazeera" today is the Arab media network, which I believe takes its name from its headquarters in the peninsular nation of Qatar. Also taking its name from "al jazeera" is the nation of Algeria and the city of Algiers.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,199,361 times
My username Alacran

Means scorpion

Old 05-07-2012, 03:37 AM

355 posts, read 1,190,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Spanish words with Arabic orgin:

Guadalquivir river in Spain(from al-wadi al-kibir, meaning the Great Valley)
Andalusia(al-Andalus), a region in Spain, also where the Guadalquivir is located.

----

No, the name of the rivers in Spain have always been the same, but Arabs used the prefix "ouad" on all rivers.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:47 AM

355 posts, read 1,190,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailarina View Post
The Moors Arabized many names ej: Valentia (actually "valencia") became known as Balansiya, is not the case of Al andalus but in theory the name comes from "al vandalus", many vandals entered to Morocco from south Spain.

-----

Arabs arabized names in parts of Castille and Andalusia, not up north or in Catalonia, in fact, no Arab words in Catalan, Gallego or Basque.

Andalusia = Land of the vandals
Zaragoza = Cesar Augusta
Balansiyya = Valencia (Valentia in Roman times)
River Anna = Guadiana
Etc..

The Vandals entered Spain in 415, sacked Andalusia, crossed the strait and went to Carthage and the Tingitania and from there invaded Italy (quite a bunch..)..

Most of the Arab words used in Castilian passed to other European language (azure = azul, a variety of blue), alcohol, etc.

In Catalan there are no Arab words:
azul = blau
aceituna = oliva
alcalde = batlle

Old 05-07-2012, 04:42 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,278,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
-----

Arabs arabized names in parts of Castille and Andalusia, not up north or in Catalonia, in fact, no Arab words in Catalan, Gallego or Basque.

Zaragoza = Cesar Augusta
River Anna = Guadiana
Etc..

The Vandals entered Spain in 415, sacked Andalusia, crossed the strait and went to Carthage and the Tingitania and from there invaded Italy (quite a bunch..)..

Most of the Arab words used in Castilian passed to other European language (azure = azul, a variety of blue), alcohol, etc.

azul = blau
aceituna = oliva
alcalde = batlle

Very interesting.

I also heard that the term "Hijo/Hija de La Chingada" came from the moorish conquest. Could this be true? I know the north was never conquered. The music from the south, the flamenco guitar and the singing like the Gypsy Kings sure has that Arabic middle eastern flavor.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:16 AM

190 posts, read 706,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Very interesting.

I also heard that the term "Hijo/Hija de La Chingada" came from the moorish conquest. Could this be true? I know the north was never conquered. The music from the south, the flamenco guitar and the singing like the Gypsy Kings sure has that Arabic middle eastern flavor.
We don´t use that expression in Spain, so i don´t think so, although there are some expressions that were used in the past and are still used in L America.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:22 AM

190 posts, read 706,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoricoco View Post
-----

Zaragoza = Cesar Augusta
River Anna = Guadiana
Etc..

azul = blau
aceituna = oliva
alcalde = batlle

Not in Catalonia, but they were in Valencia for 300 years. So maybe we don´t have catalan words of arabic origin in Valencià but we have a lot of town´s names: Benifaio,Benimamet, Beniferri, Benaguasil,,,,

Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM

356 posts, read 1,066,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Very interesting.

Really? I always thought that "chingar" was as Mexican as the tortilla.
But if it is indeed from moorish influence I'd really like a source !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico