Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:50 PM

11 posts, read 24,307 times

Advertisements

Does anyone see a problem with a white guy, who does speak Spanish, living in Little Havana? Specifically the part right before you get to downtown...

What are the pros and cons of living in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:45 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,581 times
Your neighbors probably won't speak much English and it's just not a desirable place to live in terms of overall quality of life.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:37 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,869,205 times
why would they? i know black and white people who live there, they dont speak any spanish, the black people are Haitians.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:01 AM

139 posts, read 383,749 times
i really feel that this whole "quality of life" thing is subjective. if you want to live a very suburban, cookie-cutter life, shopping at the "nice walmart" and stuff like that, don't live in that area. if you're an artist, any kind of political or social upstart with a taste for the city life in this great melting pot that is little havana, please do live here. i suppose the lack of higher quality of life, if we must use this term, may be attributed to a higher crime rate than usual, congestion, higher traffic, high hustle area. however, little havana is one of the few areas in miami that has kept its old world charm in a rustic and non elitist way (hard to find here), and this is precisely what i like about it. seriously? i live near the gables and am perpetually charmed every time i'm in little havana. it's a gorgeous architectural and historical place. and just because i'm a hater, i'd like to add that i'm really not crazy about all the snooty, upturned-nosed jerks i deal with in the gables scene, much prefer little havana dealings, however kooky and nuanced they may sometimes be.

nothing generic about little havana, and it will be exciting to live there to say the very least. don't let certain xenophobes deter you, i admire you for even considering this. also, there are some very nice blocks in this area that are a bit less congested, that have nicer multi-units...etc.

good luck!

Last edited by rebsosaurus; 08-09-2010 at 03:10 AM..

Old 08-09-2010, 04:26 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,426 times
Reb

You are right at that. I lived years near the Tower and it was the only area where you could actually walk, good public transportation, wide selection of good restaurants and friendly people. Well, people living at the "perfumed sauesera" (Gables, Bird Road, New Hialeah, Kendall) are always putting down Little Havana proper. And yes, people living there are down to earth and helpful. I love those cigars they sell just besides the Tower and talk to the old domino and chess players.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebsosaurus View Post
i really feel that this whole "quality of life" thing is subjective. if you want to live a very suburban, cookie-cutter life, shopping at the "nice walmart" and stuff like that, don't live in that area. if you're an artist, any kind of political or social upstart with a taste for the city life in this great melting pot that is little havana, please do live here. i suppose the lack of higher quality of life, if we must use this term, may be attributed to a higher crime rate than usual, congestion, higher traffic, high hustle area. however, little havana is one of the few areas in miami that has kept its old world charm in a rustic and non elitist way (hard to find here), and this is precisely what i like about it. seriously? i live near the gables and am perpetually charmed every time i'm in little havana. it's a gorgeous architectural and historical place. and just because i'm a hater, i'd like to add that i'm really not crazy about all the snooty, upturned-nosed jerks i deal with in the gables scene, much prefer little havana dealings, however kooky and nuanced they may sometimes be.

nothing generic about little havana, and it will be exciting to live there to say the very least. don't let certain xenophobes deter you, i admire you for even considering this. also, there are some very nice blocks in this area that are a bit less congested, that have nicer multi-units...etc.

good luck!
Yes, things like quality of rental units and propensity for property crime do matter to some people. No one said Little Havana wasn't unique.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:02 AM

11 posts, read 24,307 times
Looking at the map, it is so closed to downtwown, I don't see why anyone would pay so much more to live downtown instead??

Old 08-09-2010, 09:33 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo72 View Post
Looking at the map, it is so closed to downtwown, I don't see why anyone would pay so much more to live downtown instead??
it is very close to downtown. That the reason why those properties still have kept some of their value

the area you are talking about while not extremely dangerous it's not very appealing to the eye.(homes full of concrete with 4 or 6 cars parked in from of them are neither artistic or charming)You will find English speakers there especially among the younger crowd (30 & under). I would imagine those condos are not well maintained and honestly if you have to live there rent a home or an efficiency.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
it is very close to downtown. That the reason why those properties still have kept some of their value

the area you are talking about while not extremely dangerous it's not very appealing to the eye.(homes full of concrete with 4 or 6 cars parked in from of them are neither artistic or charming)You will find English speakers there especially among the younger crowd (30 & under). I would imagine those condos are not well maintained and honestly if you have to live there rent a home or an efficiency.
Agreed.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:06 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo72 View Post
Does anyone see a problem with a white guy, who does speak Spanish, living in Little Havana? Specifically the part right before you get to downtown...

What are the pros and cons of living in this area?
------------

Gringo

The area around Miami River Inn, 4th Ave and 1st St SW, is packed with big buildings that weren't there when I lived close to that area. The buildings look new, some with swimming pools. Those buldings are not roach palaces.

That area used to be very safe. You only have to cross the river to be in Dowtown, but I wouldn't live across the river, Overtown is too close for comfort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami